The Student Room Group

I'm starting to feel overwhelmed.

I'm a student currently doing International A-Levels who's slowly crumbling due to exam stress and stress related to school in general.

So I was the kind of student who never really worked that much in class, I did however always receive excellent end of year results. I scored 6 A's and A*s at IGCSE as well as 2 Bs and A c.
This was generally fine for subjects like Economics and Geography as they aren't too difficult and I found both subjects relatively easy however I really started to fall behind in Maths and I didn't realise until it was too late. I never studied for the mocks and I never did my homework, thinking that I would just get my stuff together a few months before the exam and I would be fine.

So as some of you may know, AS results were decided by predicted grades and classwork as pupils were unable to take exams due to the pandemic. My predicted grades weren't the best. Due to this I took the very stupid decision to sit all my exams in October/November thinking it would be alright. I sat 8 exams between October and November and well...my maths exams didn't go too well. Due to me sitting exams, I wasn't attending my lessons thinking that it would be relatively easy to catch up on the subjects.

So as soon as I finished my final exam on the 10th of November, I resumed attending classes again. I've successfully caught up with my class for Geography and Economics however for maths, it's an entirely different story.

On the 14th of November I was informed that I would have a mock in exactly 12 days. I was still 6 chapters behind in the course as I was prioritizing catching up with the easier subjects first. I told my teacher that this wouldn't be possible and that I can't possible finish what took the class a month and a half in just over a week while simultaneously catching up for my other subjects. He didn't care. He told me that me not doing well on this mock would show him that I wasn't capable of keeping up with the course.

Now I will be applying for uni in March and one thing they'll be asking for is predicted grades, and its just dawned on me now just how bad my maths predicted grade is going to be. I'll be resitting the P2 and S1 papers in January while also doing P3 and I'm working hard to get the best possible grades for these exams however will it be enough?

I feel like by making a few rash decisions in Year 12, I've just put my future at risk. My AS and P3 grades will be available for me to submit to my university in March and if they're good will they really care what I got in my internal examinations? I don't really know anybody close who's been through the whole uni application thing and my parents who are equally as stressed as I am don't have much experience.

I don't know if it's a combination of my parents and my school making applying for uni look scary or if it really is but a combination of school stress, thinking about applying for uni and not being able to see my friends due to lockdown is really starting to impact my mental health and I'm starting to feel more and more hopeless and disappointed in myself for not caring more when it mattered. I feel like I've disappointed my parents and I don't know what I'll do if I don't get accepted into the universities I want to apply for in March, they've done everything to help me and while this past month I have been changing my attitude to make sure that I receive the best possible grades in the future, I feel like the damage has already been done and I can't really fix it.
Original post by djart07
I'm a student currently doing International A-Levels who's slowly crumbling due to exam stress and stress related to school in general.

So I was the kind of student who never really worked that much in class, I did however always receive excellent end of year results. I scored 6 A's and A*s at IGCSE as well as 2 Bs and A c.
This was generally fine for subjects like Economics and Geography as they aren't too difficult and I found both subjects relatively easy however I really started to fall behind in Maths and I didn't realise until it was too late. I never studied for the mocks and I never did my homework, thinking that I would just get my stuff together a few months before the exam and I would be fine.

So as some of you may know, AS results were decided by predicted grades and classwork as pupils were unable to take exams due to the pandemic. My predicted grades weren't the best. Due to this I took the very stupid decision to sit all my exams in October/November thinking it would be alright. I sat 8 exams between October and November and well...my maths exams didn't go too well. Due to me sitting exams, I wasn't attending my lessons thinking that it would be relatively easy to catch up on the subjects.

So as soon as I finished my final exam on the 10th of November, I resumed attending classes again. I've successfully caught up with my class for Geography and Economics however for maths, it's an entirely different story.

On the 14th of November I was informed that I would have a mock in exactly 12 days. I was still 6 chapters behind in the course as I was prioritizing catching up with the easier subjects first. I told my teacher that this wouldn't be possible and that I can't possible finish what took the class a month and a half in just over a week while simultaneously catching up for my other subjects. He didn't care. He told me that me not doing well on this mock would show him that I wasn't capable of keeping up with the course.

Now I will be applying for uni in March and one thing they'll be asking for is predicted grades, and its just dawned on me now just how bad my maths predicted grade is going to be. I'll be resitting the P2 and S1 papers in January while also doing P3 and I'm working hard to get the best possible grades for these exams however will it be enough?

I feel like by making a few rash decisions in Year 12, I've just put my future at risk. My AS and P3 grades will be available for me to submit to my university in March and if they're good will they really care what I got in my internal examinations? I don't really know anybody close who's been through the whole uni application thing and my parents who are equally as stressed as I am don't have much experience.

I don't know if it's a combination of my parents and my school making applying for uni look scary or if it really is but a combination of school stress, thinking about applying for uni and not being able to see my friends due to lockdown is really starting to impact my mental health and I'm starting to feel more and more hopeless and disappointed in myself for not caring more when it mattered. I feel like I've disappointed my parents and I don't know what I'll do if I don't get accepted into the universities I want to apply for in March, they've done everything to help me and while this past month I have been changing my attitude to make sure that I receive the best possible grades in the future, I feel like the damage has already been done and I can't really fix

I think did pretty screwed up your 1still year.

However there is still time.

I think uni might give you an offer if you actually did well in the real exam,since they are only predicted.

Perhaps you need to start to learn time management.

Sorry if this doesn't help.
Reply 2
Original post by Hey_Hayley283
I think did pretty screwed up your 1still year.

However there is still time.

I think uni might give you an offer if you actually did well in the real exam,since they are only predicted.

Perhaps you need to start to learn time management.

Sorry if this doesn't help.

No it really is fine, I need any kind of advice I can get right now
To be honest most of the a-level forum is full of people complaining that they're behind. I think If you just try your best and study your hardest you'd catch up, it might feel like it's only you but if I'm scrolling and seeing everyone saying they're behind then surely its a common issue??

Quick Reply

Latest