The Student Room Group

Is studying llb law at a non Russel group uni worth it

Hi so I want to study law at uni but is it worth doing llb law at a non Russel group uni such as Birmingham city university?
I'm not sure TBH it massively depends on what you wanna do with your degree further IMHO Assuming you're interested in being a solicitor, I guess this will put you at disadvantage from the perspective of City firms, Magic Circle etc. but small local companies might still be fine with it
Original post by Lizamb
Hi so I want to study law at uni but is it worth doing llb law at a non Russel group uni such as Birmingham city university?

It's worth doing Law at Birmingham city uni as long as you have grades in the range AAA-BBB but if you had those grades I doubt you would be applying to BCU.

It is the grades and not the uni that is the more relevant factor if you are aiming for a career in law.
Original post by Lizamb

depends on where you'll be applying to. not everyone is snobby about prestige etc these days.
Your degree classification far outweighs the perceived "prestige" of the University you attend. Really, unless you went to one of the top five or six RG Universities such as Oxbridge or LSE, then it won't make much difference. The only exception to that principle is if you interview for a firm and the members of the interview panel attended the same Uni as yourself, in which case you might score some loyalty points but that is equally applicable to a non-RG Uni. Some RG students like to pretend to themselves that it is going to be a golden ticket to a great career, which is fair enough if it helps them cope with the stresses inherent to such a competitive industry but such an idea is actually pretty redundant in the real world.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending