The Student Room Group

Uni essay

I've had a really bad experience of uni so far. Im first year and with everything being online I have no clue about anything! I'm so de-motivated and my first essay is due in two days and I've wrote it really bad because I don't know what I'm talking about. I have gave it to an experienced friend to see where i have possibly went wrong. To be honest, I'm not 100% enjoying the course and want to drop out because my mental health is so bad. If we do go back on campus next year I don't know how I'm going to talk to people. My friends from school have moved away except for one and are meeting new people whilst im still at home. I feel so bad and honestly can't see myself staying, but my parents dont want me to drop out because i dont know what else to do. Please help :frown:((
so sorry to hear that. I’m in a similar situation in that I’m living at home and can’t really meet anyone and when I go to the city I get so depressed and isolated it kills me. What I’ve found is just taking the course a little less seriously and stop overthinking and stressing about deadlines has made it more enjoyable. Usually, you would be in halls and drinking and stuff - that’s what I tell myself when I don’t want to do work. Just relax. I went through and still am tbh a massive period of not wanting to work but by taking it less seriously, it doesn’t feel like a massive weight on you.
Have you considered deferring this year and returning next year?
I was on a similar boat: I wasn't enjoying the course and the online learning and it was starting to take a toll on my mental health. Fortunately, my university offered what is called an " Interruption of Studies " - which meant I could defer this year and start anew next year. I still have my place at university so it isn't as bad as withdrawing altogether! I am planning on reapplying to another university though - if you aren't enjoying the course, this might be something you want to look into.
Your parents are probably worried that you will have nothing to do if you drop out. I would talk to your student support - see what options are available. Then, make a plan that you and your parents can agree on. The student support at my university were very understanding of my situation and were helpful.
Trust me, I know things are tough right now but there are options. I hope things get better for you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending