The Student Room Group

Is it normal to get a 1:1 on your first essay?

I am doing Law and received my first essay back, was told it was exceptional but I don’t think it was that good
Is this normal/average for high feedback early on in the year and do they just do this for encouragement?
Hi there

Congratulations on getting a 1st on your first essay! :smile: That is really amazing.
I do not think seminar leaders would deliberately give out 1sts on essays for encouragement. I am sure that you did really well on it, even though you may not think so yourself.

I would recommend going over the feedback to see what you did well during the essay, so you can incorporate it into other assignments. You already have good basics, so keep it up! :smile: You could always book an appointment with your seminar leader, if you wanted more detailed feedback.

I hope this helps!
Chloe
University of Kent Student Rep
Original post by Anonymous #1
I am doing Law and received my first essay back, was told it was exceptional but I don’t think it was that good
Is this normal/average for high feedback early on in the year and do they just do this for encouragement?

It’s not exactly common because uni work is different from collage but a 1:1 is a good mark and it bodes well for the rest of your course. Well done you should be proud of yourself.
Original post by Anonymous #1

Hi there,

Congratulations! This is a great start to the year, they must have been really happy with it because it's not standard to give exceptionally high grades for encouragement. Your essay must have been pretty good!

All the best,
Jaz - Cardiff uni rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending