The Student Room Group

Is my girlfriend absolutely mad?

Hi. My girlfriend is wanting to do Medicine at Edbinburgh Uni and she has took Chemistry, Maths, Biology, Further Maths and French. Now those are hard and time consuming subjects in themselves aren't they? But she won;t stop there! She is going to do AS Music after school, whilst having a 10 hour shift in a childrens fun-warehouse, going to a BSL class once a week for 3 hours, doing General Studies during her frees AND finally she is doing D of E Gold! Is she absolutely crazy? I've heard of people doing like 6 AS levels but she also has a job and most of her studies like further maths and music are all after school! She says she find it easy but we've only started Year 12 and there isn't any exam peessure on...yet! She's wanting to get all A's too. I've tried telling her to drop a few things but she is absolutely persistant that she won't get into Medicine without them. Is what she is doing just impossible or not? Would her social life suffer? I personally couldn't do that!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
sounds like you have got the perfect superhuman girlfriend lol
Lol, don't expect to see her much in the next two years.
If she is capable of it then good for her! It's perfectly possible to do medicine at uni with your standard 3 A's though.
Reply 4
She'd be better off getting work experience than doing general studies and DOE in her spare time. :P
if she can manage it, it'll be alright... there were 5 girls in my year who did that, and 2 got all A's...the others got As and Bs... so it's not thaat unrealistic

but, imo general studies isn't really that necessary, and more a waste of time since most unis will disregard it, espeically if she's aplying for medicine
Aww bless her :smile: Just make sure you're supportive of what she's doing. There is nothing worse than your friends/boyfriend/family not supporting you...
She's not mad - she's determined. That's not a bad thing either. :wink:
Reply 8
AND she has a boyfriend!? Please don't tell me you're both stunning and fantastically nice and popular too?

As to your girlfriend being mad, most probably she is, but all you can do is support her choice, and be there for her when the pressure builds up.

A practical note about Medicine - has she got work experience/shadowing covered for the holidays too?
Reply 9
Yes. She is crazy.
AnthonyShock
Hi. My girlfriend is wanting to do Medicine at Edbinburgh Uni and she has took Chemistry, Maths, Biology, Further Maths and French. Now those are hard and time consuming subjects in themselves aren't they? But she won;t stop there! She is going to do AS Music after school, whilst having a 10 hour shift in a childrens fun-warehouse, going to a BSL class once a week for 3 hours, doing General Studies during her frees AND finally she is doing D of E Gold! Is she absolutely crazy? I've heard of people doing like 6 AS levels but she also has a job and most of her studies like further maths and music are all after school! She says she find it easy but we've only started Year 12 and there isn't any exam peessure on...yet! She's wanting to get all A's too. I've tried telling her to drop a few things but she is absolutely persistant that she won't get into Medicine without them. Is what she is doing just impossible or not? Would her social life suffer? I personally couldn't do that!

Let's just summarise that:
- 6 AS-levels (Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry, Biology, French, Music) + General Studies
- Job (10 hours a week)
- BSL class (3 hours a week)
- Duke of Edinburgh Gold Award

She definitely doesn't need General Studies, but that shouldn't take much time anyway. As for DofE Gold, the BSL class might count towards it (I don't know what it stands for), and maybe the job (if voluntary) so until the expedition and residential (which can be done after exams) it needn't take up that much time. Overall I would say that it is ambitious but achievable. Good luck to her. :yep:
Reply 11
There's really no point doing General Studies, most unis don't even look at your grade for that so she may aswell at least give this up and use the time to work on one of her other things.
inksplodge
Aww bless her :smile: Just make sure you're supportive of what she's doing. There is nothing worse than your friends/boyfriend/family not supporting you...

Your totally right. But I don't want her to go through what happened at GCSE. She put too much on her plate and thought she could manage everything and instead of getting her predicted 7A*'s and 4 A's she went down to 3A*s 5A's and 3 B's. I thought those grades were absolutely fine but she went all to pot over it.:s-smilie:

A-levels are much more demanding and she is starting to do the same thing. I'm really worried.:frown:
Reply 13
would her social life suffer??
HAHA
she can say goodbye to that one...
Yup she's craxy alright, let's jsut hope she handles it well or atleast gives it a hard try?
It's not going to be easy.. I think the ebst option to do is lose the job since she's so persistent on keeping all the subjects.
Leave her to it, it's her choice. If she is capable at succeeding in all of those areas then I hold my hands up to her. She would be much better than most people and stand out like a sore thumb during applications to Uni....which is what you want!
Reply 15
she'll be dead within a week lol
French, Music and especially General Studies can go. Seriously most uni's dont accept general studies and especially not for medicine. Although saying that it's possible to go to the exam with no teaching whatsoever and come out with an A so it's not too bad. I'd say more focus in getting work placements in hospitals, etc. Such work experience is considered very beneficial.
Who is this girlfriend of yours? She is human right? Wow.
Take a picture of her and hang it up. It's probably the only time you'll get to see her.

But anyway:
General Studies is not required for medicine as no University really accepts it.
Universities only ask for 3 A-Level most.
BSL isn't really required but it's nice to do.
D of E Gold is for personal pride I guess?
Epic Win
she'll be dead within a week lol

ROFL!! haha I almost pissed myself at that!
Reply 19
Basically: Yes.

Latest