The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Mighty Grandiose Noble Knight
If that's the case than she is definitely mental. She is not going to cope. She will fail everything! It's over.

Yeah.
The fact that at GCSE, which was considerably easier, she hashed it up by missing out on 7 A*, 4 As and ending up with 3 A* 5 A 3 B (which is still excellent) then imagine what'll happen at A-level?
Unless she's really dedicated.

Why don't you tell her that her GCSEs are fine, and her A-levels need to be A-graders to get into medicine.

Unless she's applying for Oxbridge medicine, then she really does need to work, because those 3 Bs will not sound too nice :smile:
She'd be much better off dropping the General Studies and the Further Maths and doing some long term volunteering with her time.
she's brave.
Reply 43
No offence but there's quite a few people like that and I'd be surprised if she gets what she wants. 6 A levels (5 really) + all that is doable, but if she was let down at GCSE (other factors notwithstanding) then she's either not realistic/hardworking enough (which one is irrelevant) and can just expect to be let down again.

It's a bit risky for medicine, if she does fine great; but if she does 'badly' (below B) in a few then it'll be detrimental to her application whereas something such as medical experience + 4 A levels + DoE would have held the same weighting for the admissions.
Reply 44
its possible
If she lost it at GCSE is she trying to compensate by taking on so much a A level, to try and prove it to herself and other people?
If so (which it really seems like) she isn't super-human, super-human would get straight A*s with a mental break down and doing that much and 6 AS levels is gunna muck up her chances with medicine, if she REALLY wants to do it then she would get amazing AS grades, with very high unit grades and secure her place
although none of what i say will probably make a difference, in a years time she will kick herself

also one year isn't that long to figure out that you have taken on too much, so DROP IT NOW!
depends if she can pull it off :biggrin:
Reply 47
just give her as much support as she desires
Wow this got a lot more reponse than I thoight:s-smilie:

You guys are right, even though it's mad, I should support her. It just annoys me ( like this morning) when she moans to me that she's stressed.

Mind, she says it's stressing now, I can't help but worry what January time will bring.:eek:
Reply 49
i feel sad because you say she lost it at gcse yet she got the same as me :redface:
if she's intelligent she'll still have time to give you a good ******* every other day.

workload is exageratted sooooooooooooo much.
Reply 51
I think perhaps she needs to calm down a bit. A levels are so much easier with a clear head.
Reply 52
I can't imagine that her grades won't suffer for all that.
Wow...This thread (well, what she's doing) has made me feel like a quitter - I handed in my notice at work last week because I had school monday to friday, work on staurday and volunteering between 8am and 1pm on Sunday and I wanted a day off!....

And I'm only doing 4 as levels (plus critical thinking, but that's optional and not one of my main subjects).

Wow, I feel lazy now. Sitting here in my PJs as I have been all day (ill today, so no school). Having only done 20 minutes of homework...

Yeah, she's crazy...Buy her a crate of chamomile tea for Christmas - might come in handy around about May-June time...
steffi.alexa
Wow...This thread (well, what she's doing) has made me feel like a quitter - I handed in my notice at work last week because I had school monday to friday, work on staurday and volunteering between 8am and 1pm on Sunday and I wanted a day off!....

And I'm only doing 4 as levels (plus critical thinking, but that's optional and not one of my main subjects).

Wow, I feel lazy now. Sitting here in my PJs as I have been all day (ill today, so no school). Having only done 20 minutes of homework...

Yeah, she's crazy...Buy her a crate of chamomile tea for Christmas - might come in handy around about May-June time...

You're not lazy, you're normal! Seriously, it's much better to have your attitude, and realise what is too much work for you than to take on too much and struggle. This girl will probably make herself ill with stress when it comes exam time, I just hope that she realises it really isn't necessary (or advantageous!) to do so many AS levels!

It's totally possible. I managed to do something similar with a few extra things too. So if she isn't falling apart then I suggest you support her :smile: Having said that, if she was disappointed with her GCSE grades, perhaps she should look to concetrate on a few things and cut out GS and perhaps only take FMaths to AS level.
Reply 56
yes your girlfriend is mad cause i had a mate who was doing 4 AS last year and he really struggled to keep up with the work and for this he was kicked out but has returned this year and has taken less this time and has promesed to keep up with all work set
so just let your girlfriend know that doing several AS is hard and she will find she will have too much work and her soical life will start to suffer if she does not think thing througth now she will find it hard laterin the year but she if dorped some this year she could always pick up the other during her A2 year.
sugar_cane
It's totally possible. I managed to do something similar with a few extra things too.

Yes, but not everyone is amazing like you. :hugs:
alex_hk90
Yes, but not everyone is amazing like you. :hugs:

:o: Thank you, but I'm not amazing :hugs:
Reply 59
Not impossible, ive heard of someone getting 10 As for A level. She proberly spends her time more productively than others, not so much watching tv and playing computer games.

Latest