The Student Room Group

Deadlift tomorrow

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Nutritionist
Goal is powerlifting

To add: Having to stop deadlifting all together because it was having too much impact on recovery is more indicative of poor programming than deadlifts being a poor exercise. Deadlifting too heavy too often

I personally use a HLM template for deadlifts. Usually it goes as follows:
Mon: Heavy deads 1x5
Weds: Medium, take 90% of for 3x5
Fri: Usually no pull exercise, I might supplement it with chins or rows, but generally this isn't even necessary.

Befoe this though I adopted Starting Strength's programme of simply deadlifting 1x5 every other workout. Got me to about 160kg before reverting to HLM where a very small amount of extra volume was needed.

I find deadlifts don't respond well at all to volume. Low sets Low reps at high intensity once a week followed by volume 2 days after which should feel pretty easy (90% of 5RM) worked well for me when a bit of extra volume was needed. Everyone's different but I don't think I've seen any of the big guys going past 3 sets on the deads.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Khanthebrit
I personally use a HLM template for deadlifts. Usually it goes as follows:
Mon: Heavy deads 1x5
Weds: Medium, take 90% of for 3x5
Fri: Usually no pull exercise, I might supplement it with chins or rows, but generally this isn't even necessary.

Befoe this though I adopted Starting Strength's programme of simply deadlifting 1x5 every other workout. Got me to about 160kg before reverting to HLM where a very small amount of extra volume was needed.

I find deadlifts don't respond well at all to volume. Low sets Low reps at high intensity once a week followed by volume 2 days after which should feel pretty easy (90% of 5RM) worked well for me when a bit of extra volume was needed. Everyone's different but I don't think I've seen any of the big guys going past 3 sets on the deads.

Everyone will react differently. I’m the same though, don’t respond well to high volume on them. I’ll typically only do comp deadlift once per week then have a second lighter, variation day e.g. paused dead’s which is more focused on execution. Should build up to a ~220 single at RPE8 by the end of this block
Original post by Nutritionist
What was the injury?

It was a sort of gradual wear and tear sort of injury, one that got worse over time. If that makes sense?

Quick Reply

Latest