The Student Room Group

Essay Structure

I'm in year 13 and I've been struggling to find the write structure to write my essays in, my teachers have told me I have the correct knowledge but my structure brings my marks down yet they haven't helped me when I've asked how I should structure my answers,

how do I structure my essays?
Original post by motherd3arest
I'm in year 13 and I've been struggling to find the write structure to write my essays in, my teachers have told me I have the correct knowledge but my structure brings my marks down yet they haven't helped me when I've asked how I should structure my answers,

What subject is this?
Original post by Keir Starmer
What subject is this?

Ocr, A level Philosophy and Ethics
Ocr, A level Philosophy and Ethics

Okay. I don't do this subject at A Level. However, I do a level history so i'll give you my structure.

Introduction
-This essay argues...... (State your argument right at the beginning as you will get marks for a sustained judgement which basically means stating your argument throughout the essay).
-Define any key terms in the essay eg. This essay will understand the term ..... to mean .....

In Favour Paragraphs
-Start with the factor mentioned in the question.
-To begin the paragraph you could say something like To a large extent the best approach to understanding religious language is through the cataphatic way'.
-Because...... now add in evidence that supports the argument.
-When you have added in the evidence you then say, this is significant because.....
-Repeat this structure approx x2-3 in each paragraph
-It is important to always give the other side so you might say: On the other hand it can be said....[argue against your original point].
-But then you might say this factor is less significant because......
-Do a conclusion to this paragraph by using the words of the question and summarise what you have said eg. Overall it can be argued...... Although it can be said ........ However original argument is more significant because.

For the paragraphs on the other factors use a similar structure, however you might start by saying: To a lesser extent.
Then in the summary of the paragraph, you say why the argument set out in your intro is more convincing.

Conclusion
In conclusion it can be argued that......
-Summarise what you have argued.
-Mention reasons in favour of your argument.
-Mentions reasons against.
-Say why the reasons for are more significant.

Please let me know if you have any more questions.
Hello

This is a rough outline to follow

Paragraph one- a very short intro to the topic etc
Paragraph two- a fairly quick analysis of the first factor in the question and supporting evidence too
Paragraphs three and four- a detailed breakdown of subsequent factors and use of relevant facts in order to support your answer and lend some more weight to your essay as well. List examples and reasons.
Paragraph five- a conclusion of the words of the question and a brief summary of the whole argument. Here you can mention reasons if needed.

Feel free to contact me on here for more help.
Reply 5

You should say your exam board, because there will be different essay structures required for the different exam boards.
Original post by Joe312
You should say your exam board, because there will be different essay structures required for the different exam boards.

i have said my exam board, it's philosophy and ethics for ocr

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending