The Student Room Group
Reply 1
I've just had my one granted! Yay! i think you can apply for a second, but not any more than that. I think if you wanted to go back there and work again it would probably be a different working visa, not a working holiday one.

What you doing out there? Where are you gonna be?
Reply 2
Like sozzberry said, I think you can only have 2 during your lifetime. I'm hoping to get one for my year out of uni after my 2nd year, either for Australia or Canada. Leaning towards Canada for some reason though. What are your plans?
Reply 3
sozzberry
I've just had my one granted! Yay! i think you can apply for a second, but not any more than that. I think if you wanted to go back there and work again it would probably be a different working visa, not a working holiday one.

What you doing out there? Where are you gonna be?

:ditto: to you on your plans? Where are you going to go and have you arranged a job already? Are you going through Bunac? Oh and was it a nightmare to get it?? Ridiculous number of forms and interviews etc? Sorry about all the questions! :p:
Reply 4
I haven't sorted anything yet. Im looking at going with a company called ozintro. You stay with them for the first week and they sort you out with a bank account, phone sim, visa etc and give advice on travel and work. after the first week you then go off and do your own thing. Ill need to work but I want to travel around a bit and see australia.
Reply 5
I'm staying with a friend who lives in Perth for a bit and finding a job there, then once we've earnt a bit of cash we're probably gonna go explore a bit...Perth really is on the wrong side completely lol, but apparently it's amazing.

And to answer your other question, I applied online, just put in all my details (passport, nationality, confirmed that I wasn't planning to enter the country to bring it down from the indide out) then a matter of hours later I got an email through saying I had been granted one, and that all I needed was to keep that email as it had all the relavent codes I would need. They don't put anything in your passport cos they have it all down in their system. Only thing was they said there was a possibility when I was fillling in the form that they would need an interview, and they ask you to put down where you would prefer to have it, but I didn't need one and I don't think they ever do that unless they think you're really dodgy, so I'm sure you'll be fine. It was really very easy.
Reply 6
Wow that sounds way easier than I thought it would be. I thought it takes weeks/months and would have to go through atleast 2 interviews or something. Really looking forward to it now :biggrin:
Reply 7
Just one in a lifetime, but it can be valid for up to 2 years (or 23 months if I remember correctly).
Reply 8
bighitter
I haven't sorted anything yet. Im looking at going with a company called ozintro. You stay with them for the first week and they sort you out with a bank account, phone sim, visa etc and give advice on travel and work. after the first week you then go off and do your own thing. Ill need to work but I want to travel around a bit and see australia.

Im with Oz intro. Literally right now writing this from the hostel in Australia during my ozintro week. It's awesome, i'd deffinatly recommend it. The staff are quality and really helpful, not only in your first week but also in helping you plan and organise what you're gonna do after the first week.

A couple of days ago I met 2 people with a van and now we're off on Wednesday to drive around Australia for 4 months together! It's gonna be awesome.

If you have any specific questions about oz intro or anything about doing a gap year over in Australia, give me a PM or quote me in this thread.
Reply 9
Reue
If you have any specific questions about oz intro or anything about doing a gap year over in Australia, give me a PM or quote me in this thread.

Cheers, ive got a few of initial questions.

1) how much money did you have to start with? if you don't mind me asking, becuase I know you have to prove you can buy a return ticket and have enough money to support yourself

2) Did you go on your own and just meet new friends there?

3) What are you doing about a job?
Reply 10
bighitter
Cheers, ive got a few of initial questions.

1) how much money did you have to start with? if you don't mind me asking, becuase I know you have to prove you can buy a return ticket and have enough money to support yourself

2) Did you go on your own and just meet new friends there?

3) What are you doing about a job?

1) You need at least 2000 pounds as suitable funds. What I did was get a bank statement with the 2000, and then spend it afterwards.

2) Yup, went on my own

3) Probabley get a bar job somewhere or some fruit picking as I move round. Theres lots of work here if you want it.
Reply 11
You can get a second WHV for Oz, providing you have spent 3 months working in fruit picking or something like that in certain areas only. I've a mate out there who was banana picking for 3 months just so he could get the second year.
Reply 12
Bextait is right! But you can also do a bit of Wwoofing or HelpX (google). Basically you can go and stay with people and in return for a few hours work a day on their farm etc you get accomodation and meals. Some of the places are registered so that they can count towards your 3 months seasonal work.
I plan to do some of this along with some fruit picking or something similar to count towards my 3 months so I can get a 2nd visa.
I am off on my trip 28th November. I have 6 days in Singapore before I land in Oz, I cannot wait!
Reply 13
Reue
Im with Oz intro. Literally right now writing this from the hostel in Australia during my ozintro week. It's awesome, i'd deffinatly recommend it. The staff are quality and really helpful, not only in your first week but also in helping you plan and organise what you're gonna do after the first week.

A couple of days ago I met 2 people with a van and now we're off on Wednesday to drive around Australia for 4 months together! It's gonna be awesome.

I am doing OzIntro on 8th December! Woo! Anyway hope you are having a great time!

Latest