The Student Room Group

family problems

Dose family problems really spoil a childs mental calmness and well being?

Or is it just me ?
Reply 1
It can do, I do A level psychology and we've studied the impact of the family dynamic from infancy throughout growing up. It can determine your attachment type- Mary Ainsworth
And it can be used to explain different mentalities, for example, there is a family systems theory for anorexia that scrutinises the interacts and relationships within a family. (i hate this theory lol).
There is also a theory that how a child is treated by those closet to them decides whether they become an offending criminal. there are also genetic links between parents and children of mental disorders.
Personally: I think that how a child is treated growing up by parents and individuals closest to them really influences them on how they think they should be treated for the rest of their life. The individual in question will also mimic and learn from these people and will likely inherit some of their traits. For example, if a parent wont talk about issues or feelings and is very private and closed off then the child is likely to be similar as this is all they know. "we accept the love we think we deserve".

Obviously there are plenty of differences for everyone and your parents and family do not determine how you are as your own person and you can always change how you want to behave. But yes, i think parents can have a huge influence.
I hope this helps and i hope you're okay! <3

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending