The Student Room Group

Official: A-level and GCSE 2021 exams replaced with teacher assessed grades

Scroll to see replies

Original post by marygrace123
I had to reschedule my LNAT for the 13th because I've had to quarantine with COVID and my mums been in the hospital with COVID. Now what the hell am I going to do??????????

Give pearson some time to get answers on what their options are. They’ll likely offer some alternative assessments if exams cannot take place in person
If they’re cancelled in the UK, will that apply to ial students?
Original post by Sofiya Jade
does that mean that the UCAT exams could potentially be cancelled as some people are sitting them in the spring/summer around the same time as gcses and a levels?

Ucat exams are subject to the same restrictions as other exams. They’ll be working with ofqual and the dfe to find a workable solution.
Original post by MalakAlShawish

Not necessarily, no.
Original post by MalakAlShawish

In 2020 IAL stayed scheduled for a few weeks after the uk exams were cancelled until worldwide disruption meant that they also came up with alternatives. It’s likely something similar will happen this year.
what are the chances of year 12 june mock exams happening?
DEPARTMENT OF EDUCATION HAS ANNOUNCED BTECs WILL CONTINUE AS PLANNED: https://twitter.com/educationgovuk/status/1346212271605886977?s=20
SHAMEFUL
Original post by Evil Homer
Where have they done this? I don't think they have confirmed this.

It got confirmed ages ago. https://mobile.twitter.com/educationgovuk/status/1346212271605886977
Original post by PQ
I think it more likely that the exam boards will set managed assessments that can be done remotely or in centres and then be externally moderated.

Interesting. How would managed assessments at exam centres be any different from allowing exams to go ahead as planned? I think there could be many flaws in this method, especially if Ofqual rushed its execution like last year. Nevertheless, I think teachers must have a say in the grade that's distributed. I've spoken to many teachers since last year and they've all agreed that in a normal year, they can nearly always predict what grade the student will get in the final exam (assuming no major incidences occur, of course). This may well be different from the grade predicted on UCAS, but without the influence of grade requirements for universities and the fact that teachers can measure improvement in ability and work ethic in year 13, it makes their assessment more reliable...it will be interesting to see what Ofqual proposes.
.Seems like BTECs will go ahead as planned: https://twitter.com/educationgovuk/status/1346212271605886977
Original post by scarlettrjackson

No one can answer this. It’s 6 months away.
Original post by scarlettrjackson

Fairly high in some form.

Original post by aconstanthamlet
Interesting. How would managed assessments at exam centres be any different from allowing exams to go ahead as planned? I think there could be many flaws in this method, especially if Ofqual rushed its execution like last year. Nevertheless, I think teachers must have a say in the grade that's distributed. I've spoken to many teachers since last year and they've all agreed that in a normal year, they can nearly always predict what grade the student will get in the final exam (assuming no major incidences occur, of course). This may well be different from the grade predicted on UCAS, but without the influence of grade requirements for universities and the fact that teachers can measure improvement in ability and work ethic in year 13, it makes their assessment more reliable...it will be interesting to see what Ofqual proposes.

I think a key difference is making them possible to take remotely.

Hopefully things can be less rushed than last year (not that I have any faith in Ofqual, but they do have a lot more time).

After last year, teachers will just predict as high as possible IMO. And we have limited evidence to base CAGs on.
i’m not attending my btec exams this and next week, it is clearly unsafe to do so, can’t even see my own family but can sit directly next to 26 other classmates for 3 hours straight, no thank you
Original post by coffeerush24
Does anyone know what might happen. I feel so stressed. I have taken a gap year to resit my exams and now i dont know what to do. I need As to go to the unis i want. I'm freaking out !!!!!

im in the same position as you ! I hope us resitting wasn't for nothing :/
‘Schools will definitely return’
‘Schools are shut’

‘Exams in the summer are confirmed’
‘Exams in the summer are cancelled’

‘We’ll turn the tide in 12 weeks’
12 months later
‘Because of my incompetence, we’re going into a third lockdown where you won’t be able to access any mental health support because doctors are all so so busy fighting this awful disease’

And they wonder why so many teenagers are struggling with mental health and suicidal thoughts when the *******ing government can’t give us a proper ****ing answer or give us the safety and support we receive at school. But it’s fine. They ‘totally understand’. ****ers.
Original post by hannah12389
im in the same position as you ! I hope us resitting wasn't for nothing :/

They need to make exams optional for some who choose to

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/559964
Original post by Shannonturner123
i’m not attending my btec exams this and next week, it is clearly unsafe to do so, can’t even see my own family but can sit directly next to 26 other classmates for 3 hours straight, no thank you

Completely valid.

Schools should have social distancing procedures in place for exams, though.
I think course work would be a great alternative, like an EPQ in each subject, with some testing.
He

Original post by Evil Homer
Hi everyone,

It has now been officially announced that due to the new school closures exams will not go ahead as planned in 2021. We are yet to know what alternative form of assessment will be put in place instead.

The reason this decision has been made is that it is now believed that students will have simply missed far too much face to face teaching time for traditional examinations to be an equal and fair measure of students abilities.

This is all very new information, and the details on exactly what will replace these exams has yet to come out. The Prime Minister has said that the Education Sectary and Ofqual will now begin discussing next steps. TSR will continue to update as we find out more. If there is anything TSR can do right now to support you, please reach out and ask and we will do our best.

Private Candidates 2021 Support Thread

If you are struggling, we have put some mental health resources below for you:

TSR Covid-19 Mental Health Hub

Struggling with exams being cancelled? Read some advice here.

MIND - Mental health charity for all ages with help and advice
Young Minds - Mental health support for under 18 year olds
Student Minds - Mental health support for University students
BTEC student support (DM's)

Edit: DFE states that vocational exams will continue in January. This includes all BTECS.

He did NOT say exams will be cancelled at all rather they will not go ahead as originally planned. The media like to speculate here and blow things up as they do. They may delay exams to August or mix them with school tests. Dont overly stress students with media hype.
Original post by Fluffysweetfries
you're sh*tting me.. my heart is breaking.
my grades dropped so low because of the pandemic and personal issues, but ive been doing well recently which will not be recognised anymore because some stupid algorithm will give me grades due to my sh*t ones.
ive failed in life

I'm assuming (or hope) loads of people have already replied to you, but incase nobody has, I feel the same way, and i think others do as well. My school provided literally 0 classes during lockdown, and I've had two losses in my family in december, when exams were taking place. I dont know anything we already know, but im here with you mate, and im sure talking to your school, your uni too to get things figured out will probably be the solution. There is talk about school assesments going on (as in like tests on each chapter, like we do every few weeks) still hapenenign so the school can get a better understanding of our ability, and if that happens, give it your ****ing all!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending