The Student Room Group

Change University

I am currently studying a media and communication foundation in Sheffield Hallam, but I am thinking of moving to another university to start my freshman year. I could not enter the other universities not because of my bachiller grade (which is the validation of the UK A Leves), but because of my level of English, I was going to take my B2 exam in Cambridge in June, but with the covid it was impossible. I wanted to know if I can access another university where I meet all the requirements without "making a transfer", basically I want to start from scratch, I do not need my foundation's grade to access. The only thing that worries me is the change of home fees, because I would start my course in 2021 and I am European, although I have Pre Settled Status.
Have you heard of the open university?

You can work and study part time for a degree?

There are so many courses and it’s very independent. Cheaper and it’s all
Done virtually. Before covid there were some optional days schools!

I would contact their student support service team to get more clarity! They will help guide you and give you the support to embark on a good degree that fits well with your requirements.
You need to email some other Universities, giving them exact details of what qualifications you have and explain that the Foundation year hasn't worked out for you are can you apply to their Uni (Foundation course or Year 1). They are the only ones who can tell you if this is possible of not.

PS. Open University is funded as part of UK provision therefore "students who are EU nationals and start studying with the OU from 1 August 2021 will not be eligible for funding such as tuition fee loans" and you may have to pay full overseas fees.
Original post by McGinger
You need to email some other Universities, giving them exact details of what qualifications you have and explain that the Foundation year hasn't worked out for you are can you apply to their Uni (Foundation course or Year 1). They are the only ones who can tell you if this is possible of not.

PS. Open University is funded as part of UK provision therefore "students who are EU nationals and start studying with the OU from 1 August 2021 will not be eligible for funding such as tuition fee loans" and you may have to pay full overseas fees.

I didn’t know this! Thank you for the information
Original post by saalmaacm
I am currently studying a media and communication foundation in Sheffield Hallam, but I am thinking of moving to another university to start my freshman year. I could not enter the other universities not because of my bachiller grade (which is the validation of the UK A Leves), but because of my level of English, I was going to take my B2 exam in Cambridge in June, but with the covid it was impossible. I wanted to know if I can access another university where I meet all the requirements without "making a transfer", basically I want to start from scratch, I do not need my foundation's grade to access. The only thing that worries me is the change of home fees, because I would start my course in 2021 and I am European, although I have Pre Settled Status.

On top of the above advice. Contact the ukcisa student advice phone line for help on the financial implications of changing university

hi - im european too (altho residing in the uk) but presettled status means you get home fees (£9250)so dont worry about that part :smile:
Original post by emileeeei
hi - im european too (altho residing in the uk) but presettled status means you get home fees (£9250)so dont worry about that part :smile:

youre also eligible for the loans under your pre settled status
Original post by emileeeei
youre also eligible for the loans under your pre settled status

Not all the loans and there are still residency requirements to meet.

"EU nationals, and their family members, will generally be awarded tuition fee support by the SLC where the student has pre-settled status and has 3 years’ residence in the UK, Gibraltar, EEA and Switzerland (unless that residence was wholly or mainly for the purpose of education)."

Maintenance loans are only available for pre-settled students meeting the migrant worker requirements (or Irish citizenship)
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/946292/Eligibility_rules_for_home_fee_status_and_student_finance_for_2021_to_22.pdf

It's a complex situation
Reply 8
I have talked with quite a few universities and the vast majority have told me that they have to study at home, and some that I do have access to home fees and student loans, so thank you very much for your advice. And also as you can see on the student loan web it confirms that if I have access to the student loan:wink:
Reply 9
If you have settled status you should have home fees. International fees are for EU applicants ( non British Nationals) starting courses in 2021 that don't fulfill the settled status requirements.
Original post by Euapp
If you have settled status you should have home fees. International fees are for EU applicants ( non British Nationals) starting courses in 2021 that don't fulfill the settled status requirements.

Settled and presettled status are very different. Settled status students should normally be eligible for home fees and full student support (as they’re likely to meet the residency requirements).
Presettled students might not meet the residency requirements for eligibility for home fees depending on where they lived before moving to the uk and how long they’ve been here.

The rules are very complex.
Reply 11
True.i'd forgotten the settled and pre settled difference. I suggest he looks on the government Web site to see if he fulfills the criteria.Brexit has made things such a mess!
Reply 12
People with the pre-settled are also entitled to the loan, put it on the government website
People with the pre-settled are also entitled to the loan, put it on the government website

IF they meet the residency requirements

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending