The Student Room Group

options for sixth forms

i'm not sure if i should do BTech/ apprenticeship in cooking or if I should solely stick to a levels as I applied for a levels in the majority of my applications. should I do one with an apprenticeship and or tech??
Probably isn't the best time to be trying to enter the hospitality industry, the sector has taken a massive hit as a result of COVID.

Regardless, how serious are you about it? How much research have you done into what being a chef entails? It's 80% prep, 20% cooking- very hard work.

AFAIK most people go to college to achieve a level 1 (takes one year), before either progressing on to an apprenticeship OR staying on at college to complete their level 2 & 3 qualifications VTEC.

Whilst being an apprentice you would have to attend college once a week so you do level 2 & 3 NVQs.

6ths forms will accept 17 year olds, so if half way through the L1 course you decided that you hate it, you could simply apply to do A-Levels.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by glassalice
Probably isn't the best time to be trying to enter the hospitality industry, the sector has taken a massive hit as a result of COVID.

Regardless, how serious are you about it? How much research have you done into what being a chef entails? It's 80% prep, 20% cooking- very hard work.

AFAIK most people go to college to achieve a level 1 (takes one year), before either progressing on to an apprenticeship OR staying on at college to complete their level 2 & 3 qualifications VTEC.

Whilst being an apprentice you would have to attend college once a week so you do level 2 & 3 NVQs.

6ths forms will accept 17 year olds, so if half way through the L1 course you decided that you hate it, you could simply apply to do A-Levels.

thanks for the info

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending