The Student Room Group

GCSE requirements missed for Uni

I want to study some business/ business economics courses at UNi's which require a grade 6 whilst I only recieved a 5, is it still worth applying?
Original post by fuzzyduck69
I want to study some business/ business economics courses at UNi's which require a grade 6 whilst I only recieved a 5, is it still worth applying?

Contact each uni first and ask them. Otherwise you might find yourself discarded immediately.
Reply 2
Original post by ageshallnot
Contact each uni first and ask them. Otherwise you might find yourself discarded immediately.

emailed a few all basically said they couldn't encourage me to apply as the business school is strict, was wondering if anybody has had any different experiences
emailed a few all basically said they couldn't encourage me to apply as the business school is strict, was wondering if anybody has had any different experiences

Ah. That's not very encouraging. I have seen people accepted with GCSEs below the requirements, but I've also seen people rejected for that reason.

Hey @fuzzyduck69 - I'd give the same advice that @ageshallnot has given here, that it's best to contact the universities directly. Sometimes we can be a bit flexible with entry requirements, and especially if you meet/exceed the A Level requirements, have a strong personal statement and reference to back up your application but it's not guaranteed. If you're being discouraged from applying to the ones you've spoken to I'd think carefully about how to use your 5 choices. Make sure you have insurance choices that you know will be able to consider you, rather than applying to 5 that are more uncertain.

Best of luck!!
- Caitlin :h:
Official University of Strathclyde Rep
Reply 5
Original post by University of Strathclyde
Hey @fuzzyduck69 - I'd give the same advice that @ageshallnot has given here, that it's best to contact the universities directly. Sometimes we can be a bit flexible with entry requirements, and especially if you meet/exceed the A Level requirements, have a strong personal statement and reference to back up your application but it's not guaranteed. If you're being discouraged from applying to the ones you've spoken to I'd think carefully about how to use your 5 choices. Make sure you have insurance choices that you know will be able to consider you, rather than applying to 5 that are more uncertain.

Best of luck!!
- Caitlin :h:
Official University of Strathclyde Rep

Thank you very much that's very helpful, thinking of applying to an aspirational university where I have missed the GCSE requirements and the other 4 being safer options.

No, probably better off resitting or finding courses that accept your GCSEs.

A-level grades often have flexibility but GCSEs are mostly non-negotiable they are a minimum standard, and most applicants will well exceed them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending