The Student Room Group

Commuting to Oxford Advice!!

I made an application as a postgraduate to Oxford, and whilst speaking to other applicants, I came upon new information I didn’t know regarding the 25 mile radius guidelines?

Essentially, I applied with the aim (if by some miracle I was offered a place) that I would simply commute from home, approximately just over an hour away. It would’ve made it a lot more affordable, considering I’ve always worked during my studies and have been able to save up enough for either a decent car, or to pay rent to my mum each month, either way.

Now after discovering you have to live within 25 miles of Carfax in Oxford, I’m genuinely concerned that I literally have no chance of this? The only thing I can even begin to think of is finding the cheapest accomodation, but looking at the average for all of the colleges, the cheapest is at least £1000 more than I’ve budgeted to save by the time I graduate in July.

I could still work part time and pay this off at the end of my third instalment, but I have to be realistic about actually how many hours I could work alongside my studies, considering how academically challenging of a university it’s known to be.

I’ve applied to a couple of scholarships, but I have to be realistic and plan around the assumption I won’t be successful, regardless of where I end up going for my masters.

I planned my application for a long time, even speaking to the admissions about my situation, and at no point did they mention or point out to me that I would have the issue of not living close enough.

Does anyone have any advice on what I could do here? I appreciate I’m yet to wait for a decision, but I like to be able to plan ahead of any event, and it’s really causing me concerns and worries.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
What is the 25 mile radius guideline? How does it affect your living cost?
Reply 2
Original post by pj2294
What is the 25 mile radius guideline? How does it affect your living cost?

In short, Oxford’s rule of thumb is anyone studying there must live within 25 miles of Carfax tower, which I think is just a centrally located building in the centre. My family home is almost double that distance, meaning I’d have to somehow find a way of living closer on my own. This was never something I planned for, I’m even more surprised nobody told me this when I quite literally said “I will be commuting from my family home in Wiltshire”.. like? I currently work part time at a supermarket, but with the situation as it is, my hours are limited and there’s no way I’m saving anymore than my estimated of 3.6k, which could’ve comfortably covered the cost of a car and some rent to my mother, etc, as I know she would never have expected me to pay exorbitant amounts each month to live at home, fortunately.

So now I just kind of feel a bit stuck, as I know despite my best efforts to save up every penny I can, it still won’t be enough to live close by, or at a college accommodation, for example.
Reply 3
Original post by Manclass98
In short, Oxford’s rule of thumb is anyone studying there must live within 25 miles of Carfax tower, which I think is just a centrally located building in the centre. My family home is almost double that distance, meaning I’d have to somehow find a way of living closer on my own. This was never something I planned for, I’m even more surprised nobody told me this when I quite literally said “I will be commuting from my family home in Wiltshire”.. like? I currently work part time at a supermarket, but with the situation as it is, my hours are limited and there’s no way I’m saving anymore than my estimated of 3.6k, which could’ve comfortably covered the cost of a car and some rent to my mother, etc, as I know she would never have expected me to pay exorbitant amounts each month to live at home, fortunately.

So now I just kind of feel a bit stuck, as I know despite my best efforts to save up every penny I can, it still won’t be enough to live close by, or at a college accommodation, for example.

I don't get it. By that rule, no foreigner can ever study Oxford (I live thousands of miles away from Oxford). If the thumb rule you're referring to has to do with where you stay during the course, I still don't see the problem. You could just tell the admissions officers (if they ever ask) that you live within 25 miles of the university and get done with it. The university has better things to do than come checking on whether you live within a 25 mile radius.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 4
I made an application as a postgraduate to Oxford, and whilst speaking to other applicants, I came upon new information I didn’t know regarding the 25 mile radius guidelines?

Essentially, I applied with the aim (if by some miracle I was offered a place) that I would simply commute from home, approximately just over an hour away. It would’ve made it a lot more affordable, considering I’ve always worked during my studies and have been able to save up enough for either a decent car, or to pay rent to my mum each month, either way.

Now after discovering you have to live within 25 miles of Carfax in Oxford, I’m genuinely concerned that I literally have no chance of this? The only thing I can even begin to think of is finding the cheapest accomodation, but looking at the average for all of the colleges, the cheapest is at least £1000 more than I’ve budgeted to save by the time I graduate in July.

I could still work part time and pay this off at the end of my third instalment, but I have to be realistic about actually how many hours I could work alongside my studies, considering how academically challenging of a university it’s known to be.

I’ve applied to a couple of scholarships, but I have to be realistic and plan around the assumption I won’t be successful, regardless of where I end up going for my masters.

I planned my application for a long time, even speaking to the admissions about my situation, and at no point did they mention or point out to me that I would have the issue of not living close enough.

Does anyone have any advice on what I could do here? I appreciate I’m yet to wait for a decision, but I like to be able to plan ahead of any event, and it’s really causing me concerns and worries.

I thought the residency requirement was only 30 days a year for postgraduates? (that may just be part time, but worth checking)
What college have you applied to? Kellogg is particularly good at supporting students on part time residency, but if it's one of the richer colleges they also may well support a bespoke way round it. You need to talk to the college rather than departmental admissions for a solution I think.
Reply 6
Original post by pj2294
I don't get it. By that rule, no foreigner can ever study Oxford (I live thousands of miles away from Oxford). If the thumb rule you're referring to has to do with where you stay during the course, I still don't see the problem. You could just tell the admissions officers (if they ever ask) that you live within 25 miles of the university and get done with it. The university has better things to do than come checking on whether you live within a 25 mile radius.

Outside of the current limitations, they expect everyone to either live in on-site accommodation or off-site in the area, or in a private home within that radius. If it were that easy as to just tell them I do, trust me, I would 😂 but they require an address whilst studying there, as they’ve now explained via email. So I don’t think logistically I could just put any address that doesn’t belong to me, unfortunately.
What about a BnB that you stay one day a week (say when have 2 days of lecture?)
Reply 9
Original post by 2500_2
I thought the residency requirement was only 30 days a year for postgraduates? (that may just be part time, but worth checking)
What college have you applied to? Kellogg is particularly good at supporting students on part time residency, but if it's one of the richer colleges they also may well support a bespoke way round it. You need to talk to the college rather than departmental admissions for a solution I think.

Specifically it’s limits were to be within 25 miles, and at least for 6 weeks during each term (just to avoid travelling here there and everywhere, I think).

I was considering the application of dispensation on the grounds of helping to care for my disabled mother along with her husband, which I feel would be reasonable enough? Although I suppose it just depends what their guidelines for dispensation are.

In all fairness, I could also be worrying over nothing. I guess I’m just more concerned that I didn’t know about this until months after I applied. To answer your question regarding college, I applied to Magdalen, but open to others if they had better support.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Catherine1973
What about a BnB that you stay one day a week (say when have 2 days of lecture?)

They require an address as far as they’ve explained, so it would have to be a permanent residency unfortunately - although not a bad idea if I was commuting elsewhere!
Original post by pj2294

It is during term time that they are required to live within 25 miles of Carfax tower. It's not about admissions, it's about where you are during term time after you are admitted, and not living within that area for the minimum number of days each term can be grounds to prevent the person graduating with an Oxford degree.

Specifically it’s limits were to be within 25 miles, and at least for 6 weeks during each term (just to avoid travelling here there and everywhere, I think).

I was considering the application of dispensation on the grounds of helping to care for my disabled mother along with her husband, which I feel would be reasonable enough? Although I suppose it just depends what their guidelines for dispensation are.

In all fairness, I could also be worrying over nothing. I guess I’m just more concerned that I didn’t know about this until months after I applied. To answer your question regarding college, I applied to Magdalen, but open to others if they had better support.

I don't know how stringently this rule is applied in practice, but I'd suggest you contact the college and enquire about their perspective on the matter. I believe that if the college agrees to your living situation it is permissible and so they do agree to exceptions where the applicant may want or need to travel for academic purposes, or in emergencies perhaps. Commuting as standard practice might be less likely by itself, but if you do have caring responsibilities then they may take that into account (particularly if you live relatively near Oxford anyway).

@The_Lonely_Goatherd went to Oxford and might be able to offer some insight into the extent to which this rule is applied in practice?
Original post by artful_lounger
It is during term time that they are required to live within 25 miles of Carfax tower. It's not about admissions, it's about where you are during term time after you are admitted, and not living within that area for the minimum number of days each term can be grounds to prevent the person graduating with an Oxford degree.

I don't know how stringently this rule is applied in practice, but I'd suggest you contact the college and enquire about their perspective on the matter. I believe that if the college agrees to your living situation it is permissible and so they do agree to exceptions where the applicant may want or need to travel for academic purposes, or in emergencies perhaps. Commuting as standard practice might be less likely by itself, but if you do have caring responsibilities then they may take that into account (particularly if you live relatively near Oxford anyway).

@The_Lonely_Goatherd went to Oxford and might be able to offer some insight into the extent to which this rule is applied in practice?

I’ll definitely check with the college specifically, if the decision comes down to them in the end anyway.
I live about an hour away, which considering I drive, would be a reasonable commute in terms of distance. I’ll take your advice and speak to them!
Thanks so much
I’ll definitely check with the college specifically, if the decision comes down to them in the end anyway.
I live about an hour away, which considering I drive, would be a reasonable commute in terms of distance. I’ll take your advice and speak to them!
Thanks so much

I think it's technically up to the proctors but my impression is they make their decisions under advice from the college(s) involved? Not exactly sure how it works tbh at Oxford, in Cambridge where I used to work it seemed the proctors didn't really do all that much and were more executors of other's decisions (on examination related things), rather than making those decisions themselves, although I think officially in the statutes and ordinances they were the ultimate decision makers...historically that was probably the case as well, nowadays maybe not?

I wouldn't be too optimistic if I were you. My experience is with Cambridge, and Ox might take a different view, but Cam are very firm on it and their limit is within 10 miles of Great St Mary's Church. The reason is the collegiate system and the fundamental belief both universities have that learning is a communal activity. Eating meals, being present to attend additional lectures, meeting people in the street, over coffee etc is deemed to be integral to the learning experience.

Reasons that include anything that takes up your time are not likely to be acceptable ie caring responsibilities. The only reasons I've heard of being successful are temporary medical reasons - eg post-operative care for one term etc.
Thanks so much

My impression is that this rule is a lot more strictly enforced for undergrads. There is greater appreciation that grads are more likely to have careers, kids, caring responsibilities, and generally be more mature and independent, than your typical 18 year old. The attitude to term time, for instance, is a lot more flexible for graduates, as far as I can tell.

You may find covid has also increased understanding of and infrastructure for distance learning/working from home.

You should apply or permission, and yes state honestly your caring responsibilities if you have them.
Original post by threeportdrift
I wouldn't be too optimistic if I were you. My experience is with Cambridge, and Ox might take a different view, but Cam are very firm on it and their limit is within 10 miles of Great St Mary's Church. The reason is the collegiate system and the fundamental belief both universities have that learning is a communal activity. Eating meals, being present to attend additional lectures, meeting people in the street, over coffee etc is deemed to be integral to the learning experience.

Reasons that include anything that takes up your time are not likely to be acceptable ie caring responsibilities. The only reasons I've heard of being successful are temporary medical reasons - eg post-operative care for one term etc.

Was this for a graduate degree?
Original post by nexttime

Was this for a graduate degree?

There wasn't really any difference in approach. Postgrads can be just as litigious if they don't get the grades they are after! But they obviously take less notice of what PG students are up to, how often they are in College etc, so they let it go by omission rather than commission for PG and neither for UGs.

Ox may differ from Cam though and ofc current circumstances make it a bit moot
Original post by 2500_2

@Manclass98 Try looking into the Kellogg option. I had a look for someone else, and loads of mature students there had other responsibilities e.g. children.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zFNr46A9a0

Why not contact them and ask?

https://www.kellogg.ox.ac.uk/
Just a collective reply to everyone; thank you for the advice, it’s hugely appreciated. During my application process, even I had the impression that postgrad’s are less important overall than UG, which I suppose makes more sense given the length of course in comparison to a 9 month masters and the limited funding opportunities against how many UG have.

I’ll most definitely contact Kellogg college if they’re noticed to be more supportive of circumstances. Even part time residency may work, as financially and with family life, it would be less pressure overall. Just a note, but would any other colleges be perhaps more supportive with these circumstances?
(edited 3 years ago)
I think Kellogg seems very helpful and supportive enough tbh

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending