The Student Room Group

The Gcse Requirments?

I am thinking about starting an Access to Nursing Course in September but I do not have the GCSEs in Maths or English but I do have a degree.

So when I was 21 I did an Access Course in Social Sciences and also achieved a functional Maths Skills level 2 qualification as well. I went on to get a Bsc in Politics and an MA in History.To make a Long story short because of Family commitments I never got a chance to make the most of my qualifications.

My question is would I still need to do the Gcse in English to get on to an Access Course ?
(edited 3 years ago)
I cannot imagine for a minute than any reasonable college would turn you away for lack of a GCSE if you have a degree but I'd call wherever you're thinking of going and double check cause some people are suckers for bureaucracy.
Reply 2
I already have a conditional offer to start an Access Course but they want me to Gcse English with it but I know from experience how intense Access Courses are so I am not sure if that is a good idea. I mean I know my MA is in a completely different subject area but I would have thought having one would mean something to the Colleges and even to the Universities but it seems not.
Original post by mk2918
I already have a conditional offer to start an Access Course but they want me to Gcse English with it but I know from experience how intense Access Courses are so I am not sure if that is a good idea. I mean I know my MA is in a completely different subject area but I would have thought having one would mean something to the Colleges and even to the Universities but it seems not.

I know some unis that people on my access course are applying to said they would accept them on the Access course alone but the college was the bigger problem fussing over the GCSE. I think a decent amount of people do a GCSE alongside an access course in normal years so I'm sure it would be manageable especially given you're used to higher education.
Reply 4
Original post by mk2918
I am thinking about starting an Access to Nursing Course in September but I do not have the GCSEs in Maths or English but I do have a degree.

So when I was 21 I did an Access Course in Social Sciences and also achieved a functional Maths Skills level 2 qualification as well. I went on to get a Bsc in Politics and an MA in History.To make a Long story short because of Family commitments I never got a chance to make the most of my qualifications.

My question is would I still need to do the Gcse in English to get on to an Access Course ?

Getting onto the access course isn't the issue here. The issue is, no nursing degree will accept you without GCSEs Maths & English - you absolutely have to be able to prove a basic level of competence in English and maths to become a nurse as per NMC requirements; GCSEs in such are the way universities accept this (sometimes they accept functional skills level 2 as a substitute) - and they don't care if you've done higher qualifications without these GCSEs.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending