The Student Room Group

Dealing with low marks

How do you get over having bad marks when you've tried your best? It's not a **** mark but everyone else's are much higher therefore as the group average it is a lower one.

I feel completely humiliated and demotivated to do future work. I really gave it my all and was passionate about the work. I got over the first few less-than-great marks and tried so hard to build on the feedback but not much has changed.
Original post by Anonymous
How do you get over having bad marks when you've tried your best? It's not a **** mark but everyone else's are much higher therefore as the group average it is a lower one.

I feel completely humiliated and demotivated to do future work. I really gave it my all and was passionate about the work. I got over the first few less-than-great marks and tried so hard to build on the feedback but not much has changed.

Talk to your tutor about it - once you understand why you got those marks, it helps you to accept them.
Reply 2
If it's your best, then what else could you do? You can only do your best with the resources you have at any given time. And by resources I mean things like your health, stress levels, etc. Stop comparing yourself to other people; it's a fast route to being miserable and jealous of everyone. It's unhelpful and unproductive and ultimately achieves nothing.

Getting stuck in unhelpful and difficult feelings like being demotivated or humiliation will only make things worse. Feel the emotions, journal (or some other creative hobby) about them and let go. Life's too short to be worrying about this sort of thing, especially when it won't matter in 5, 10, 20 years.
Reply 3
Original post by Pathway
If it's your best, then what else could you do? You can only do your best with the resources you have at any given time. And by resources I mean things like your health, stress levels, etc. Stop comparing yourself to other people; it's a fast route to being miserable and jealous of everyone. It's unhelpful and unproductive and ultimately achieves nothing.

Getting stuck in unhelpful and difficult feelings like being demotivated or humiliation will only make things worse. Feel the emotions, journal (or some other creative hobby) about them and let go. Life's too short to be worrying about this sort of thing, especially when it won't matter in 5, 10, 20 years.

I guess it's a problem cause I had certain beliefs about myself that i was a certain level of intelligence/competence i know it sounds egotistical but having it all come crashing down when u don't have a purpose in life is very depressing. It doesn't achieve something good maybe but at least you know the reality of what you're worth
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
I guess it's a problem cause I had certain beliefs about myself that i was a certain level of intelligence/competence i know it sounds egotistical but having it all come crashing down when u don't have a purpose in life is very depressing. It doesn't achieve something good maybe but at least you know the reality of what you're worth

Your worth as a human being isn't what letters or numbers you get on a page. Your intelligence doesn't necessarily correlate with grades either, though even if you had a lower intelligence than you though, it still wouldn't mean you were worth less. Work on your self-esteem.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending