The Student Room Group

Law Notes

Hello,im in my first year studying law.I really struggle in finding a good method of note taking from lectures,handouts and reading from textbook.This really has a negative impact on me and i even think of changing the course because no one helps me and i cant find a way of picking information.
I will leave some questions below:
1) How should i take notes from reading a textbook,and what sort of bits of informations i should write down?I just end up having like 15 pages of notes from one chapter...and its doesnt seem right to me.
2) What should i write down from lectures and handouts ?I honestly dont think taking lecture /handout notes its helpful because the same information will be in the textbook as well and i will just end up noting the same information.Correct me if im wrong.
3) When finding important cases,what bits of information should i write about them?Or do i have to write the whole of it?
4)Can anyone send me examples of their notes so i can follow the same path?
5)What should i note down from articles?They also contain a lot of waffle and i just dont know what will benefit me in an exam,because i want a first.
Reply 1
Hello,im in my first year studying law.I really struggle in finding a good method of note taking from lectures,handouts and reading from textbook.This really has a negative impact on me and i even think of changing the course because no one helps me and i cant find a way of picking information.
1) How should i take notes from reading a textbook,and what sort of bits of informations i should write down?I just end up having like 15 pages of notes from one chapter...and its doesnt seem right to me.
2) What should i write down from lectures and handouts ?I honestly dont think taking lecture /handout notes its helpful because the same information will be in the textbook as well and i will just end up noting the same information.Correct me if im wrong.
3) When finding important cases,what bits of information should i write about them?Or do i have to write the whole of it?
5)What should i note down from articles?They also contain a lot of waffle and i just dont know what will benefit me in an exam,because i want a first.
Original post by Safta

Hey @Safta

Sorry to hear that you’re struggling. I studied law and I felt the same in first year! It just takes some time and it isn’t easy with classes being online. Does your university have any study skills or note-taking sessions? I found that going along to those really helped me.

In response to your questions:

1. I usually take down key points when I’m reading textbooks. I take each paragraph and look at the context of it then paraphrase and write it in my own words. This way, I’m able to understand what I’m learning and not writing everything down.

2. For lectures, I usually make my own notes and note down the key points from the slides and expand on them. Microsoft OneNote is great as all your notes can be saved in the one place then you can search for key words when you’re writing assignments etc. I usually download the lecture slides on PowerPoint and type what the lecturer is saying at the space in the bottom of the slides.

3. Cases- you don’t need to write about the whole case, just the full name (if you’re referencing it in an assignment at a later date then it’s useful to note down the full name and year etc.). I usually take notes on what the case is about- a short summary and the judge’s decision in the case and if the decision made has impacted future decisions in that area.

4. Which courses are you studying this year?

5. Journal articles- I make notes on these in the same way I take notes from my textbooks. I look at the content of the article and use this to expand on my notes from lectures and textbooks. When I’m doing an assignment and find something useful in my textbook, I’ll then go and look at journal articles if they’ve been referenced. The footnotes in journal articles are useful as you can always find other textbooks and articles which you can reference in an assignment. This shows that you’re not using the same sources and demonstrates you have done extra reading beyond the course textbook. For exam revision, I usually use my tutorials for guidance as to what might come up in the exam. Past papers are also great so have a look at previous years papers and see what type of questions come up!

If you have any questions, then feel free to DM me :smile:

Melissa- Student Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending