The Student Room Group

do you ever wish you had a different name

I do like my name and there is uniqueness about it, but at the same time I've started hating it. So many different people call me different things, pronounce it differently that I don't even know what to call myself anymore.

Scroll to see replies

i like my name i just wish my parents liked it lol
Reply 2
Both my parent are foreign and i have a foreign surname. for the longest time i felt embarrassed that my name was so different. people would pronounce my name wrong on purpose and make joke about how different it was. i felt really self conscious for being different to the point where i almost started loathing being the child immigrants. i feel differently today and i wouldn't change it for anything. clear communication to the people close to me about what i liked and disliked being called really helped.

in a world where so many people strive to fit in and conform to how society expect you to be, having that one quirk that's different about you in my opinion is the coolest thing ever, even if it's just your name.

if you really feel like it bothers you i think simple name changes in the uk are possible at a deed poll office.
sometimes I love my name, others I question why is it even my name
Original post by stereotypeasian
sometimes I love my name, others I question why is it even my name

im the same. everyone loves my name but there are times when i dont like it
Original post by BluMoon06
im the same. everyone loves my name but there are times when i dont like it

I have also never come across someone with the same name as me so idk if that's good or not lol
I have also never come across someone with the same name as me so idk if that's good or not lol

haha thats pretty unique! ive come across one or two but always spelt the "right" way
I don’t like my name just because of the sheer amount of people pronouncing it wrong and having to constantly correct them :dry:
I don't like my name. I feel like it's flat and boring. It doesn't feel like a very girly or pretty name to me 😔
I like my name I guess, but it's very common so that's boring :dontknow:
haha thats pretty unique! ive come across one or two but always spelt the "right" way

does that mean some people are always like to you why isn't your name spelt this way:facepalm:
does that mean some people are always like to you why isn't your name spelt this way:facepalm:

yh or they say oh you must be a boy then :colonhash: does it bloody look like it? lol
yh or they say oh you must be a boy then :colonhash: does it bloody look like it? lol

like yes obviously someone who i just met knows more about me than i do lmao
like yes obviously someone who i just met knows more about me than i do lmao

omg yes finally someone gets it! lol it just pisses me off :angry: lol
Original post by Nobody7
I do like my name and there is uniqueness about it, but at the same time I've started hating it. So many different people call me different things, pronounce it differently that I don't even know what to call myself anymore.

Yes, I had a growing dislike of my name and I ended up changing it legally, as it reminded me of the bullying I received because of it. My reaction may have been extreme, but it made me happier. So, if it really bothers you, change it to something you like.
Reply 15
I hate my name and will probably change it at some point, just can't be bothered with changing it for everything.
yes, I name that was easy pronounce. sometimes other Nigerian people laugh at me for pronouncing my name differently so it's easier for other people
Original post by Obolinda
yes, I name that was easy pronounce. sometimes other Nigerian people laugh at me for pronouncing my name differently so it's easier for other people

Not my first name but I get so self-conscious when I pronounce my last name around other Nigerians...
Nope i love my name
Reply 19
Mine is pretty, but I dont like it as my name. My nickname is alright but people hardly use it..

Quick Reply

Latest