The Student Room Group

Do I have to sign the leaving card?

I‘ve been in a new job for a few months now, and since I started the job - my colleague just doesn‘t like me for some reason. They‘ve been very unwelcoming towards me, I‘ve never said or done anything to them.

They are a lot older than me. I‘m polite to them, and I honestly don‘t have hate against them. I just feel hurt by the way they treat me, in a negative and distasteful way. They‘re always nice to everyone else, but not to me.

Anyway, my colleague is moving to a new team and most people have signed a leaving card for them

Do I have to sign the leaving card, even though they‘ve been really horrible towards me?
I was once in a situation when I'd had a run-in with someone on a course which resulted in us ignoring each other for the rest of the course. When the course ended, the facilitators decided we should all do our goodbyes face to face in the group setting. I had been hoping to avoid having to deal with this individual ever again but I quickly grasped that ignoring them in this particular setting would not only be highly visible but would also be awkward for the group. So I made the snap decision to do a token exchange with this individual, which they reciprocated, and that was that. There's no perfect solution here, just a best case scenario. If you think you will continue to see this person at work, then it might be prudent to write a minimal "All the best with your new post" type statement.
Reply 2
You could always write good riddance. More seriously it would be perfectly ok not to sign it although you could also decide to be the bigger person and put your name to it. Sometimes in the work environment this is the best strategy
No, you don't have to sign the card.
You could always write 'good bye' or 'good luck' instead of your name.
Reply 4
If she didn't like you, she probably wouldn't want you to sign the card anyway. I'm sure she'd have something to say if you did.
However, to be the mature person, you could just sign it wishing her the best for the future. Doesn't need a big paragraph. You don't want to come across as fake.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending