The Student Room Group

3 or 4 A levels?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by anon752
Yes of course you wouldn’t stand out for taking 4 or be penalised but it shows a degree of rigor. Taking 4 and achieving BBCC for example is worse than taking 3 and achieving A*A*A. But if you take 4 and get A*A*A*A, it obviously is better than A*A*A. Many people get into Oxbridge without 4, but the only people who have received offers from Oxford & interviews from Cambridge at my state school are people who have taken 4 A levels. But once again, no point taking 4 if you’re going to under perform

And the students at my school who went to Oxbridge all took 3 A levels, and had offers on 3 A levels (bog standard comprehensive)
Original post by Quick-use
I'm sure there were also many at your state school who undertook 4 A levels but were unsuccessful with Oxbridge. In this instance, correlation does not imply causation.

I’m not sure of people who have taken 4 and been unsuccessful with the exception of those who did further maths as a 4th. Yes I agree there is no causation, but a quick search online will show u that an additional A level is a good way of ‘demonstrating the academic abilities that will be required for the intense studying of an Oxford degree.’ I know people (not in my school) who have had offers with 3, it’s more than enough. But having 4 will only enhance your application assuming you achieve good grades.
Original post by Nautilus
And the students at my school who went to Oxbridge all took 3 A levels, and had offers on 3 A levels (bog standard comprehensive)

I’m just speaking from experience this year haha. It’s definitely not a causal relationship and they probably just had better personal statements to be honest, I was just stating what happened at my school this year
There is no reason not to start with 4 to see how you handle the workload and if your opinion of the subjects change - that way you have more room to drop a subject, take up an EPQ etc. That's what I did - I took Chemistry Biology Maths and English Lit with the aim of Medicine, but ended up loving English so much that I stuck with it. Not sure why loads of people are so adamant against taking 4 when surely taking 4, then having room to drop, is far better than taking 3 and then being stuck with them?:confused:
Original post by astraeako
I'm thinking of Computer Science, Maths and French with either Photography or English Language as the 4th, but not too sure ^^

Hey, are you thinking of applying to uni and if so what course? Unis only "look" at 3, but they will obviously consider all 4 as part of your application! Sometimes their offer might be A*AA, and if you get a B in a subject by accident, but an A in an irrelevant fourth subject you'll still meet the offer!

I'm taking maths, further maths, physics and drama, and I'm going to study computer science at uni! I also self-taught cs and did an epq so I'd go with whatever you feel comfortable with - it is a lot of work though! XD
Original post by isabelmarant
Not sure why loads of people are so adamant against taking 4 when surely taking 4, then having room to drop, is far better than taking 3 and then being stuck with them?:confused:

I don't think anybody is against this. If anything, it's advisable to start with 4 and then to drop 1 after a few weeks in.
Original post by jduxie4414
Hey, are you thinking of applying to uni and if so what course? Unis only "look" at 3, but they will obviously consider all 4 as part of your application! Sometimes their offer might be A*AA, and if you get a B in a subject by accident, but an A in an irrelevant fourth subject you'll still meet the offer!

I'm taking maths, further maths, physics and drama, and I'm going to study computer science at uni! I also self-taught cs and did an epq so I'd go with whatever you feel comfortable with - it is a lot of work though! XD

I'm either going to do computer science or linguistics. I'm still not too sure though, so I don't know what I should choose for A level :/ How have you been self-teaching cs?
I'm either going to do computer science or linguistics. I'm still not too sure though, so I don't know what I should choose for A level :/ How have you been self-teaching cs?

Personally, I don’t think it matters very much if you study comp sci at a level- all CS degrees teach assuming no prior knowledge, but they need a a strong foundation in maths, so maths and further maths are very good subjects for a comp sci degree at prestigious unis, others may just look for regular maths.

I found as I did a lot of extra reading around CS, programming projects and web development and I am quick at picking things up, so I found I was already quite good with cs papers, so I just brought a textbook for my schools exam board, and worked through it and my school assessed me when it went to CAGs!

So I’d recommend maybe doing maths and french, and then decide between the other subjects for your other two. Maybe you could do further maths and linguistics as that lets you do comp sci and linguistics, all up to you!
Original post by jduxie4414
Personally, I don’t think it matters very much if you study comp sci at a level- all CS degrees teach assuming no prior knowledge, but they need a a strong foundation in maths, so maths and further maths are very good subjects for a comp sci degree at prestigious unis, others may just look for regular maths.

I found as I did a lot of extra reading around CS, programming projects and web development and I am quick at picking things up, so I found I was already quite good with cs papers, so I just brought a textbook for my schools exam board, and worked through it and my school assessed me when it went to CAGs!

So I’d recommend maybe doing maths and french, and then decide between the other subjects for your other two. Maybe you could do further maths and linguistics as that lets you do comp sci and linguistics, all up to you!

I think I'll stick with just maths then :smile: I won't be able to do further maths because my grade isn't high enough but I'll do some extra reading for sure. Thank you for your help!
Which is the better option? I'm a hard worker with good grades but I don't want to feel overloaded with work. I have 5 possible choices but I'm struggling to narrow them down.

You could start with 4, see how you get on. If it's too much then you could drop one after the first few weeks.

Quick Reply

Latest