The Student Room Group

Please help: International Student - Choosing between mostly RG Data Science offers

I'd posted this before, but I didn't get any replies. Trying again with some additional decisions!
I'm trying to choose between unconditional MSc Data Science offers from:
- MSc Data Science at St. Andrews
- MSc Data Science and Analytics at Leeds
- MSc Data Science at Lancaster University
- MSc Data and Decision Analytics at Southampton (with a £3k scholarship)
- MSc Data Science at Nottingham
- MSc Data Science at Loughborough (I have worked in sports for a bit and was wondering if a Data Science degree from Lboro would be worth it for the connect in that field).

Along with these, I also have an offer from Cardiff which I'm planning to reject soon.
I wanted to know if anyone here would be able to tell me anything about these universities. I've done my research, of course, but I'd like to know how they're perceived by someone living in the UK, to be honest. In terms of their mathematics/computer science departments, for an international student who is really not interested in nightlife and whose primary concern is being able to find good employment, how would you rank these unis?

Many thanks in advance!
Original post by dolphin_mafia
I'd posted this before, but I didn't get any replies. Trying again with some additional decisions!
- MSc Data Science at Loughborough (I have worked in sports for a bit and was wondering if a Data Science degree from Lboro would be worth it for the connect in that field).

Along with these, I also have an offer from Cardiff which I'm planning to reject soon.
I wanted to know if anyone here would be able to tell me anything about these universities. I've done my research, of course, but I'd like to know how they're perceived by someone living in the UK, to be honest. In terms of their mathematics/computer science departments, for an international student who is really not interested in nightlife and whose primary concern is being able to find good employment, how would you rank these unis?

Many thanks in advance!

How do the courses compare?

From a Maths point of view Leeds, Nottingham and Southampton are good and the others are also fine but St Andrews is in Scotland so much colder.

I'd focus on the course and, of course, the scholarship has to make that uni attractive ..

Many thanks in advance!

They are all decent universities, so you wouldn't go far wrong with any of them. The scholarship at Southampton makes it stand out a bit. You might want to look at the strength of allied subjects which might mean more diverse options or research assistant opportunities - and again Southampton would make that shortlist.
Thanks for the replies! In terms of the courses, I'd rank Leeds and Southampton the highest, followed by Lancaster and then St Andrews - Nottingham and Loughborough's courses to me feel like they'd be significantly lacking depth in comparison to the others.

@threeportdrift - I didn't entirely get your point about allied subjects, could you please elaborate a bit? Thank you!
Thanks for the replies! In terms of the courses, I'd rank Leeds and Southampton the highest, followed by Lancaster and then St Andrews - Nottingham and Loughborough's courses to me feel like they'd be significantly lacking depth in comparison to the others.

@threeportdrift - I didn't entirely get your point about allied subjects, could you please elaborate a bit? Thank you!

Well is there a certain area that you'd like to use your data/analytics skills in? You mentioned Loughborough and sports, I'm saying that's maybe a line you should take. So Southampton is strong on aerospace/engineering subjects, if that's where you wanted your career to progress, you might find more opportunities for modules, projects or paid work in that area. Data/analytics isn't an end in itself, you apply those skills in a specific industry - those universities might have different strengths that support where you want to work in the end. (Lancaster - business?, Leeds and Nottingham - medicine?)

Many thanks in advance!

Hi @dolphin_mafia

Hope you're well! I think I recall posting on your other thread in response to the points raised, if my memory is correct!

If you have any more questions about Loughborough, please just let me know and I will do my best to help :smile:

You may also like to note that applications for our Data Science Bursary are now open which you may like to look into!

All the best,
- Dan :biggrin:
Original post by threeportdrift
Well is there a certain area that you'd like to use your data/analytics skills in? You mentioned Loughborough and sports, I'm saying that's maybe a line you should take. So Southampton is strong on aerospace/engineering subjects, if that's where you wanted your career to progress, you might find more opportunities for modules, projects or paid work in that area. Data/analytics isn't an end in itself, you apply those skills in a specific industry - those universities might have different strengths that support where you want to work in the end. (Lancaster - business?, Leeds and Nottingham - medicine?)

Thanks, that's very helpful! I don't have a real preference for that to be honest (it's more like I wouldn't mind getting a chance at sports, but I really don't mind anywhere else as long as the learning's good and I have good employment prospects).
Original post by Loughborough Postgraduate Study
Hi @dolphin_mafia

Hope you're well! I think I recall posting on your other thread in response to the points raised, if my memory is correct!

If you have any more questions about Loughborough, please just let me know and I will do my best to help :smile:

You may also like to note that applications for our Data Science Bursary are now open which you may like to look into!

All the best,

Hi Dan! Yes, it was a very helpful reply in the other thread! Thank you! :smile:
I will definitely let you know if I have any other questions! I've been connected to a few students by the International office that I've spoken with, and I just got a scholarship from Loughborough too actually! Just trying to collect information about all my decisions and make a choice now :biggrin:
Hi Dan! Yes, it was a very helpful reply in the other thread! Thank you! :smile:
I will definitely let you know if I have any other questions! I've been connected to a few students by the International office that I've spoken with, and I just got a scholarship from Loughborough too actually! Just trying to collect information about all my decisions and make a choice now :biggrin:

No worries, good to hear that you've been connected to other students by the International Office!

And congratulations on the scholarship too!

That sounds like a good plan, it's definitely better to wait until you've got all the information in order to make the best decision for you :smile:

All the best,

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending