The Student Room Group

Is 48 bad score for the MA dissertation?

Like a hopeless or something never recovered?

I received 48 overall score and every time I read the feedback it sounds like a very sharp needle which keeps poking me.

obviously I am undertaking the resitting now but want to know how 48 could be interpreted... as the dissertation was actually the best I could have made at that time. (even though the feedback big helped me realise how it was much under the pass standard)
Original post by BTS_JIN_ROSA

I received 48 overall score and every time I read the feedback it sounds like a very sharp needle which keeps poking me.

obviously I am undertaking the resitting now but want to know how 48 could be interpreted... as the dissertation was actually the best I could have made at that time. (even though the feedback big helped me realise how it was much under the pass standard)

Well is it a bad score, typically on a masters a 48 is a fail so yes that would imply it is bad.

That does not mean some of the work wasnt good or that their is nothing to build off. What you really need to do is diagnose what went wrong.

re-approach the project, work through everything being more critical. I would arrange a 1 to 1 with the project supervisor and try and spend some time putting all the crap on the table so you can re-do it much better.

(their is the question of do you just want to band aid what you've done so far, scrape a 50% on it & graduate or re-do it properly and maximise the project into a piece of work you are happy with).
Original post by mnot
Well is it a bad score, typically on a masters a 48 is a fail so yes that would imply it is bad.

That does not mean some of the work wasnt good or that their is nothing to build off. What you really need to do is diagnose what went wrong.

re-approach the project, work through everything being more critical. I would arrange a 1 to 1 with the project supervisor and try and spend some time putting all the crap on the table so you can re-do it much better.

(their is the question of do you just want to band aid what you've done so far, scrape a 50% on it & graduate or re-do it properly and maximise the project into a piece of work you are happy with).

I am re-doing the dissertation in the kind of second way, referencing the question in the last part of your reply.
Not because of I am sorta perfectionist but it seems easier to build up something from the zero rather than the awfully damaged base.

I am writing the research proposal completely all over again, and my "new" ethics clearance form is under the process to get an approval by my supervisor soon, and I also should organise the multiple interviews ... etc. etc. etc. for the next few weeks.

thank you for the advice.
I am re-doing the dissertation in the kind of second way, referencing the question in the last part of your reply.
Not because of I am sorta perfectionist but it seems easier to build up something from the zero rather than the awfully damaged base.

I am writing the research proposal completely all over again, and my "new" ethics clearance form is under the process to get an approval by my supervisor soon, and I also should organise the multiple interviews ... etc. etc. etc. for the next few weeks.

thank you for the advice.

As @mnot has said, a 48 would be a fail at Masters level - although only be a couple of marks so clearly there were positive aspects of your submission too.

Look at your feedback carefully - if it's needling you, I suspect it might be because you can now see what was wrong with the original submission and have some ideas about how to put it right! Work closely with your supervisors/tutors on your redesigned research proposal. Once you get your ethics clearance, it would then be a good idea to meet with your supervisors regularly - check in every couple of weeks - to ensure that you're staying on track. And don't forget to reach out for help or ask for further clarification if you need it - it's what supervisors and support services are there for.

From your second post it sounds as if you're now doing all the right things for a resubmission but be careful not to lose the good stuff from your original submission whilst also taking your feedback on board. Although it can be difficult when we don't achieve the marks we wanted, try to see this as a good learning opportunity - as @mnot says, you can use this as a chance to reconsider the project and really push for a maximised grade. Good luck!

Amy Louise :smile:

Hi, BTS_JIN_ROSA

First, try not to be disheartened by this, which I know is easier said than done when you fail an assessment, but you have feedback and a chance to do it again which is really good.

If this was you dissertation I would suggest giving yourself plenty of time, if this is your MA I assume that you have done a BA as well and you remember how many months it can take to write a dissertation. I would also advice talking to your tutor as much as possible, you can ask them to go through the feedback with you and explain it in greater detail, you can asked them to proof read sections of it and all sorts.

It can also be worth looking into what support your university offers during the pandemic as many have safety nets, free resits and extensions that might be of value to you.

I wish you all the best with your re-take!
Cat, York St John University Student Ambassador
Original post by Keele Postgraduate
As @mnot has said, a 48 would be a fail at Masters level - although only be a couple of marks so clearly there were positive aspects of your submission too.

Look at your feedback carefully - if it's needling you, I suspect it might be because you can now see what was wrong with the original submission and have some ideas about how to put it right! Work closely with your supervisors/tutors on your redesigned research proposal. Once you get your ethics clearance, it would then be a good idea to meet with your supervisors regularly - check in every couple of weeks - to ensure that you're staying on track. And don't forget to reach out for help or ask for further clarification if you need it - it's what supervisors and support services are there for.

From your second post it sounds as if you're now doing all the right things for a resubmission but be careful not to lose the good stuff from your original submission whilst also taking your feedback on board. Although it can be difficult when we don't achieve the marks we wanted, try to see this as a good learning opportunity - as @mnot says, you can use this as a chance to reconsider the project and really push for a maximised grade. Good luck!

Amy Louise :smile:

Many thanks to you 🙏🏻🙏🏻

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending