The Student Room Group

need help

does anyone know if imperials MEng course in Computing AI and machine learning requires me to do the STEP or the MAT? (it wouldnt let me post this on the STEM uni course subforum)
Hello, I do not think so, because on the A-Z courses on the Imperial website, I went onto the MAths course - which definetely needs MAT - and went to the bit where it said about the MAT (it was under Entry Requirements, then Admissions Test, then it talked about the MAT). I then went on the Computing with AI and ML, and went onto Entry Requirements, but there was no drop-down about an Admissions Test.

Furthermore, I searched 'which courses at imperial require MAT' ( https://www.imperial.ac.uk/study/ug/apply/selection/admissions-tests/ ). It states:

'The following courses use the Mathematics Admission Test (MAT) as part of the selection process:

All BSc and MSci Mathematics courses.'

Computing and AI is not a Mathematics course so does not fit either of these requirements.

TLDR: No
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by milesconor
Hello, I do not think so, because on the A-Z courses on the Imperial website, I went onto the MAths course - which definetely needs MAT - and went to the bit where it said about the MAT (it was under Entry Requirements, then Admissions Test, then it talked about the MAT). I then went on the Computing with AI and ML, and went onto Entry Requirements, but there was no drop-down about an Admissions Test.

Furthermore, I searched 'which courses at imperial require MAT' ( https://www.imperial.ac.uk/study/ug/apply/selection/admissions-tests/ ). It states:

'The following courses use the Mathematics Admission Test (MAT) as part of the selection process:

All BSc and MSci Mathematics courses.'

Computing and AI is not a Mathematics course so does not fit either of these requirements.

TLDR: No

hey thanks for the help! i assume this includes STEP too?
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by cluckiez

STEP 2 is usually an offer requirement, it’s not given to everyone though

Hey, it says this on their website RE STEP:

"
A: No, it is not required for any of the Computing or JMC courses. However, If we feel from an application that the applicant would benefit from additionalMaths training, we may ask for an Advanced Extension Award (AEA) or a STEP paper in Maths.
"
Original post by jduxie4414
STEP 2 is usually an offer requirement, it’s not given to everyone though

Original post by milesconor
Hey, it says this on their website RE STEP:

"
A: No, it is not required for any of the Computing or JMC courses. However, If we feel from an application that the applicant would benefit from additionalMaths training, we may ask for an Advanced Extension Award (AEA) or a STEP paper in Maths.
"

oh okay, thanks both!!
oh okay, thanks both!!

You're welcome, good luck with applying to Imperial :smile:
does anyone know if imperials MEng course in Computing AI and machine learning requires me to do the STEP or the MAT? (it wouldnt let me post this on the STEM uni course subforum)

Afternoon!
I have just found your thread might be more suited to the Computer Science Forum. (I've linked it here too for you :wink:)
I've moved it for you, so maybe you can get some more accurate help and/or advice.

Have a nice weekend,
ThatsAGoodOne349
Original post by ThatsAGoodOne349
Afternoon!
I have just found your thread might be more suited to the Computer Science Forum. (I've linked it here too for you :wink:)
I've moved it for you, so maybe you can get some more accurate help and/or advice.

Have a nice weekend,
ThatsAGoodOne349

i appreciate it thank you 😌
Reply 9

I am currently in year 12 and wanted to ask the same question as I intend to apply for this course. I was wondering if you do further maths?
Original post by mer_aliy
I am currently in year 12 and wanted to ask the same question as I intend to apply for this course. I was wondering if you do further maths?

yes i do :smile:
yes i do :smile:

Ok, thank you! Currently not sure what to do STEP-preparing-wise (I don't do Further Maths) as I want to apply for this course but it is not certain I will have to do STEP as part of my offer. Do you know if STEP 2 includes topics from A-level Further Maths?
Ok, thank you! Currently not sure what to do STEP-preparing-wise (I don't do Further Maths) as I want to apply for this course but it is not certain I will have to do STEP as part of my offer. Do you know if STEP 2 includes topics from A-level Further Maths?

hey! i actually looked at the website and step 3 is a level maths and as further maths, since i’m doing the full a level, they might give me step 3 for my offer :redface:

step 2 includes as* my bad!
hey! i actually looked at the website and step 3 is a level maths and as further maths, since i’m doing the full a level, they might give me step 3 for my offer :redface:

I suppose it would be harsh to ask you to do STEP 3 as it is a computing course, not a maths course :/
step 2 includes as* my bad!

Ah ok, thank you for the help!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending