The Student Room Group

First PhD Application: Proposal to potential supervisor

Hello everyone, I've recently contacted a potential supervisor at SOAS who responded saying that he's generally interested in the (broader) research topic. I've mentioned my overall research area, focus, interests, motivations in my initial communication with him, quite comprehensively. I asked whether I need to share a draft proposal with him first, he said no need. He asked me to submit a research proposal through the formal application system without further discussion.

Can this be considered a positive response from his side?
Original post by nomadis
Hello everyone, I've recently contacted a potential supervisor at SOAS who responded saying that he's generally interested in the (broader) research topic. I've mentioned my overall research area, focus, interests, motivations in my initial communication with him, quite comprehensively. I asked whether I need to share a draft proposal with him first, he said no need. He asked me to submit a research proposal through the formal application system without further discussion.

Can this be considered a positive response from his side?

Hi @nomadis,

It seems fairly positive, yes! They've given a clear indication that they'd like to supervise and are interested in your research topic, and are clearly satisfied with your reasoning and motivation - not all potential supervisors ask to see the full proposal or require more detail than that.

That said, if you'd welcome feedback on your draft proposal before submitting a formal application to the funder, you could always drop the potential supervisor an email to see if they'd be happy to comment on this for you.

Hope that helps!

Amy Louise :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending