The Student Room Group

Is it possible to do A2 math, A2 physics and AS+A2 further math in 1 year

I am currently an international student in year 12 and I'm doing Math AS and Physics AS. My school is the only school in my country that teaches AS but they don't teach A2 and have no year 13, So next year I am planning on self studying A2 maths, A2 physics and A level (AS+A2) further math. I'll be done with my AS exams on June 9 2021, then I'll have till May 2022 to prepare for the 3 A2s and 1 AS. Do you think that's enough time? And since the people who are taking these subjects usually finish the whole of A level math in year 12, do you think it's better if i do math A2 in November 2021?
For AS math I managed to self study all of it in 1 month and now I'm getting fullmarks in the past papers. However I'm still scared of further math, because I don't know if I'll find it as easy. Btw I'm aiming for 3A*.
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I say it will be difficult, but not impossible. I'm currently doing A Level Maths and Further Maths, all with the aim of finishing by June, and I only started in January.

My study schedule revolves around 60 hours a week (where possible) though, and using every trick in the book to get ahead.

With a number of online colleges, you can also do fast track courses where you complete A Levels within 1 year (more for people doing resits though).
Reply 2
Original post by MindMax2000
I say it will be difficult, but not impossible. I'm currently doing A Level Maths and Further Maths, all with the aim of finishing by June, and I only started in January.

My study schedule revolves around 60 hours a week (where possible) though, and using every trick in the book to get ahead.

With a number of online colleges, you can also do fast track courses where you complete A Levels within 1 year (more for people doing resits though).

The thing that I'm not getting is that, some people take 4 A2 subjects in year 13 and make it look like it's normal. while for me I'm taking 3 A2 and 1 AS which is equivalent to 4 A2 I think, plus I'm planning on studying during the summer and even then people are telling me that it's hard. Is it because further maths is just a hard subject or because in general doing 4 A2s is hard?
Original post by Sami-Marouf
The thing that I'm not getting is that, some people take 4 A2 subjects in year 13 and make it look like it's normal. while for me I'm taking 3 A2 and 1 AS which is equivalent to 4 A2 I think, plus I'm planning on studying during the summer and even then people are telling me that it's hard. Is it because further maths is just a hard subject or because in general doing 4 A2s is hard?

The subjects you're choosing to do are quantitative, and they tend to be hard by nature (not many people are good with maths). I would imagine you would want as much support as you can to get through them where possible.

Further maths is harder than standard maths anyway, so it's making life a lot more difficult than if you chose a different subject.

I'm currently studying with an online college, and even then it can be difficult to do.

Having said that, independent study and working like crazy is key to getting through quantitative subjects at uni, so they're good habits to instill whilst you're still in college.
I would say that whilst further maths is very difficult, i have found myself understanding it better through self studying and just doing a ****load of questions than when taught by a teacher. So i would say that self teaching maths and further maths will be doable, although prepare to spend a lot of time on it and it will probably get quite tedious but if you have the motivation you will be fine. Self teaching A2 physics will be the most challenging as the concepts cant be fully understood just by doing questions.
Overall the hardest thing for you will be the motivation and trying to stay sane while spending such a long time studying alone!

If you decide to go for it, make sure you start with AS Further maths, the A2 maths the A2 further. Whilst it may seem to make sense to do the whole maths course first, you will want be introduced to further maths as early as possible because it really is like a completely different subject when compared to regular A level maths.
Hope this helps
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by MindMax2000
The subjects you're choosing to do are quantitative, and they tend to be hard by nature (not many people are good with maths). I would imagine you would want as much support as you can to get through them where possible.

Further maths is harder than standard maths anyway, so it's making life a lot more difficult than if you chose a different subject.

I'm currently studying with an online college, and even then it can be difficult to do.

Having said that, independent study and working like crazy is key to getting through quantitative subjects at uni, so they're good habits to instill whilst you're still in college.

Well for me I felt like it's the opposite, as i said, for math AS I was able to understand the textbook and study it without a teacher. However if I was struggling at something then there are teachers around me who can help.
Reply 6
Original post by bensutton8
If you decide to go for it, make sure you start with AS Further maths, the A2 maths the A2 further. Whilst it may seem to make sense to do the whole maths course first, you will want be introduced to further maths as early as possible because it really is like a completely different subject when compared to regular A level maths.
Hope this helps

I didn't understand this, so u mean i should start with AS further maths and not A2 math? Wait so my plan was to finish math A2 during the summer so that when September comes and schools begin I'll feel like I have already done A2 math last year so I'll be on level. And also i might even do A2 maths in the October-November exam seiries then I'll be focusing solely on A level fm and A2 physics till may June 2022.
What do u think?
did you complete AS + A2 maths last year?
Reply 8
Original post by ll ACR ll
did you complete AS + A2 maths last year?

No that's my point can u reread th question please
It really depends on whether you want to take the A2 maths in November or in 2022. Personally I feel that although I finished the A2 course about 6 months ago my maths skills have got so much better and so I would rather leave all of my exams until the end when I have the best skills possible. If you do decide to take the exam in November then obviously put all of your effort into A2 maths, but if you decide to take them all in the summer then definitely do both AS further maths before A2 maths. It sounds strange but doing further maths changes your perspective on the whole of maths and you want to start on it as early as possible. Doing AS further also makes studying A2 maths so much easier. I think you’ll be surprised at how little content there is in AS further- it’s just conceptually very difficult
I am currently an international student in year 12 and I'm doing Math AS and Physics AS. My school is the only school in my country that teaches AS but they don't teach A2 and have no year 13, So next year I am planning on self studying A2 maths, A2 physics and A level (AS+A2) further math. I'll be done with my AS exams on June 9 2021, then I'll have till May 2022 to prepare for the 3 A2s and 1 AS. Do you think that's enough time? And since the people who are taking these subjects usually finish the whole of A level math in year 12, do you think it's better if i do math A2 in November 2021?
For AS math I managed to self study all of it in 1 month and now I'm getting fullmarks in the past papers. However I'm still scared of further math, because I don't know if I'll find it as easy. Btw I'm aiming for 3A*.

Well, it isn't impossible. If you are able to find a tutor, you might be able to get some sort of better support. AS maths you are doing well, which is great. Further Maths A-levels is a challenge, however since you are doing physics the mechanic's section would be less difficult for you in both further and Normal maths. Further maths usually requires you to be more independent when it comes to your studies. I am not entirely sure about physics itself as there are different exam boards. Which exam board are you doing? Do you need resources?
so from all that I can conclude that even if I'm finding normal math easy right now, I still might find further math hard, and also that doing further maths A level, math A2 and physics A2 is harder than doing 4 A2s in other subjects (example: math A2, phy A2, chem A2, bio A2).
Original post by ll ACR ll
Well, it isn't impossible. If you are able to find a tutor, you might be able to get some sort of better support. AS maths you are doing well, which is great. Further Maths A-levels is a challenge, however since you are doing physics the mechanic's section would be less difficult for you in both further and Normal maths. Further maths usually requires you to be more independent when it comes to your studies. I am not entirely sure about physics itself as there are different exam boards. Which exam board are you doing? Do you need resources?

CIE idk what type of recources are u talking about, I only use the textbooks and pastpapers. but u see "it isn't impossible" is like saying it's almost impossible.:frown:
(edited 3 years ago)
so from all that I can conclude that even if I'm finding normal math easy right now, I still might find further math hard, and also that doing further maths A level, math A2 and physics A2 is harder than doing 4 A2s in other subjects (example: math A2, phy A2, chem A2, bi

the three you are doing is harder conceptually but there is no where near as much to learn as if you took 4. You will certainly find further maths very hard at the start but there is a lot less revision with it because you are learning a skill rather than information from a textbook
It really depends on whether you want to take the A2 maths in November or in 2022. Personally I feel that although I finished the A2 course about 6 months ago my maths skills have got so much better and so I would rather leave all of my exams until the end when I have the best skills possible. If you do decide to take the exam in November then obviously put all of your effort into A2 maths, but if you decide to take them all in the summer then definitely do both AS further maths before A2 maths. It sounds strange but doing further maths changes your perspective on the whole of maths and you want to start on it as early as possible. Doing AS further also makes studying A2 maths so much easier. I think you’ll be surprised at how little content there is in AS further- it’s just conceptually very difficult

yesterday I was skimming through the further math pure1 textbook and I found some concepts that require me to differentate stuff in a way that I'm sure is not taught in math AS I think that's A2. so can u please check if that's true (do I need A2 math knowledge for AS fm?)
AS are meant to me taken in your first year so they cant ask you any year 2 stuff, what topic where you looking at?
AS are meant to me taken in your first year so they cant ask you any year 2 stuff, what topic where you looking at?

yes Ik but for further math i mean... isn't it true that people usually do A level math in year 12 then A level fm in year 13?
we did them both at the same time so idk about other people but i am glad we started further in year 12
we did them both at the same time so idk about other people but i am glad we started further in year 12

ah so u did AS math and AS fm in year 12 then A2 math and A2 fm in year 13?
yes but we finished AS maths in about halfway thought the first year. and finished A2 maths a couple months after the start pf the second year

Quick Reply

Latest