The Student Room Group

Working abroad (from the UK)

I would love to work abroad next year if restrictions are lifted but I'm feeling a bit hopeless. I don't have a degree yet (but am studying through the OU) and I wanted to look into TEFL but it seems every job requires a degree. Now we've left the EU it doesn't seem like it will be possible to do season work. What else could I do??
Original post by elliewellie97
I would love to work abroad next year if restrictions are lifted but I'm feeling a bit hopeless. I don't have a degree yet (but am studying through the OU) and I wanted to look into TEFL but it seems every job requires a degree. Now we've left the EU it doesn't seem like it will be possible to do season work. What else could I do??

I'm struggling to understand why TEFL would require a degree.

Some countries don't require you to even have teaching qualifications. Should you need one, I'd recommend CELTA or Trinity's certificate in TESOL. Neither of which will require you to have degrees (only 2 A Levels). Either should allow you to work in most countries around the world, as well as offering online tutoring (you might need to check foreign and domestic labour laws regarding this though). The bigger challenge is finding the job.

There is a myriad of jobs that do not require a degree. I don't know what else you're specifically looking for though.
Original post by MindMax2000
I'm struggling to understand why TEFL would require a degree.

Some countries don't require you to even have teaching qualifications. Should you need one, I'd recommend CELTA or Trinity's certificate in TESOL. Neither of which will require you to have degrees (only 2 A Levels). Either should allow you to work in most countries around the world, as well as offering online tutoring (you might need to check foreign and domestic labour laws regarding this though). The bigger challenge is finding the job.

There is a myriad of jobs that do not require a degree. I don't know what else you're specifically looking for though.

I think for Visa purposes 🤔 literally every job I've looked at requires one alongside a TEFL or similar qualification and I was starting to lose hope!! Thanks for your advice, ideally I'd like to work in a Spanish speaking country.
Reply 3
you could look at working holiday visas in places like Australia, NZ and Canada. My understanding is thats its tough to earn an income with TEFL in Spanish speaking countries - the far east is a better bet.
Original post by elliewellie97
I think for Visa purposes 🤔 literally every job I've looked at requires one alongside a TEFL or similar qualification and I was starting to lose hope!! Thanks for your advice, ideally I'd like to work in a Spanish speaking country.

Try workaway.com! It's amazing, you basically work a few hours a day in exchange for food and accommodation. I taught english in vietnam without a degree or TEFL and it was great, they even said that if I wanted to work more hours they'd pay me :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending