The Student Room Group

My 16yo friend got engaged

One of my close friends turned 16 about a month ago and yesterday they got proposed to by a 29 year old guy and they said yes. They plan on getting Married in June. I've asked them about it and they said it's 'true love'. Their parents seem to be completely okay with this. I want to support my friend in their decision, but I'm not sure if I should be, given the circumstance.
Be concerned I think. I guess it's pretty normal for a 16 year old to be in love with an adult... but for the 29 year old? its just weird
I mean think about it and the kind of things he might want from the relationship that your friend might not be ready for. Not a lot you can do if their parents aren't opposing it
Reply 2
wellp there nothing you can really do tbh. I personally, think 16 is pretty young but I dunno
Yep definitely doesn’t sound right to me! Why would a 29 year old be innocently interested in someone half his age when they are at completely different stages in life? Just creepy tbh and I’d be worrying that your friend has been groomed online. :s-smilie:
As long as their happy then support them, it's too early to assume or say anything but as I've been in a situation as your friend is in, the outcome did not come out as planned.
But support them and be there for them no matter what happens, don't let these cultural differences get in between your friendship, in the end getting engaged is a big deal so be happy for them! :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
One of my close friends turned 16 about a month ago and yesterday they got proposed to by a 29 year old guy and they said yes. They plan on getting Married in June. I've asked them about it and they said it's 'true love'. Their parents seem to be completely okay with this. I want to support my friend in their decision, but I'm not sure if I should be, given the circumstance.

he in love age no limit love is love u donkey
Not normal
there's not really a set age to get married. some people are ready at 16 others at 28, a marriage is two people that are ready for marriage. but having said that the age gap seems a bit concerning, if it was two 16/17 year olds for example that's one thing, but for a 29 year old going after a 16 year old? it seems sus that they'd get engaged so quickly, unless he groomed her before she was 16- now that's really concerning
Reply 8
I haven't met the guy, but in my opinion they don't seem ready for a serious relationship. Is there anything you think I can say to them?
Original post by Anonymous
I haven't met the guy, but in my opinion they don't seem ready for a serious relationship. Is there anything you think I can say to them?

well there's not much you can since it's not technically illegal, all you can do is ask her to really think it through and if she's making the right decision, ultimately it's her life but remind her this is marriage and someone she might spend the rest of her life with
I would be concerned your friend is underage and still labelled as a minor and he's basically a pedophile and sometimes you got to be sure coz never know if this is being forced behind close doors
Homo fine with me pedo is a different story i experienced it at 15 with 45yr old and its damaging trust me
And that’s a no from me
I'm interested in the guys POV :lolwut:
They should wait until shes 18 legally, unless its a religious/cultural marriage.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending