The Student Room Group

Placement year for MSc Students

I'm an international student who got an offer for Msc Data Science and Statistics with a placement year at the University of Bath. I'm wondering if there is any point in doing placement year as I heard it pays lesser and you have to find the placement. So couldn't i just find a job and get paid normally instead of a placement? What do you guys think about Masters placement year.
Reply 1
I'm an international student who got an offer for Msc Data Science and Statistics with a placement year at the University of Bath. I'm wondering if there is any point in doing placement year as I heard it pays lesser and you have to find the placement. So couldn't i just find a job and get paid normally instead of a placement? What do you guys think about Masters placement year.
Original post by Ganj0

Hi! @Ganj0

The placement year might be part of your course, which is why it is important to speak to someone about this. I would speak to your university and course leader about this. If it is a choice then choose what you feel is best for you and what you would enjoy more, but your university should be able to help you with this.

I hope this helps!
Chloe - Official Student Rep :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by kanupriya63
hey.. if you have to look for a placement yourself then i dont feel opting for a placement year would be really helpful.
btw, i am also an international student applying for Msc Data Science..
which other clgs did you apply to ??

Thats cool, I've got an offer from Bath and Cardiff and I'm waiting for a reply from Glasglow, but got rejected from Leeds. Did you get any reply's? As far as I've heard, placements in UK are all found by the student themselves as opposed to us in India where companies visit us. But most people say placement years are still great but they are talking about bachelor placement year which is in between their studies. I wanted to know if there is any point in doing placement for postgraduation.
Reply 4
Original post by University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Hi! @Ganj0

The placement year might be part of your course, which is why it is important to speak to someone about this. I would speak to your university and course leader about this. If it is a choice then choose what you feel is best for you and what you would enjoy more, but your university should be able to help you with this.

I hope this helps!
Chloe - Official Student Rep :smile:

I have sent a message asking for some details related to the placement year but I haven't gotten a reply so far. I was hoping I'd get a reply from someone who has done a PG placement year or planning to do one.
Reply 5
I'm under the same dilemma. I'm currently holding an offer from Liverpool for MSc Data Science and AI with placement year and I'm not sure if I should take it
The University will normally present to you those companies that offer placements. If you don’t like those offers just don’t do it. Do your normal studies without a placement year.
Brother I have got offers from Liverpool,Sheffield and surrey for MSc in artificial intelligence…which would u prefer amongst these 3?
Original post by Tarsncase
Brother I have got offers from Liverpool,Sheffield and surrey for MSc in artificial intelligence…which would u prefer amongst these 3?

Hi there,

To introduce myself I'm Joao. In my final year studying BSc Economics at Surrey University, I am working as a Campus Ambassador for JP Morgan. I recently finished my one-year industrial placement as an Economist for the British Government's Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra). I also had the opportunity to work as a Private Secretary to the Minister of Environment and Biosecurity.

Our new MSc is the only course of its kind in the UK. It covers the three most important aspects of artificial intelligence (AI) vision, speech and 5G each backed up by one of our world-leading research groups. Our programme also encompasses the business, regulation and ethics aspects of modern AI. The growth of AI is rapidly changing how we live, work and learn. However, there's a real shortage of AI talent worldwide to serve the industry and drive future research. Studying this course will enable you to capitalise on the broad spectrum of career opportunities provided by AI, preparing you to work in industry, take an entrepreneurial route or pursue further research.

Studying at Surrey will give you the tools and opportunities needed to thrive in your future career. We're proud to have a superb record for graduate employability. For example, 93 per cent of our 2017 graduates were in work or further education six months after they graduated, as revealed by the Higher Education Statistics Agency. We also offer award-winning Professional Training Placements, which prepare students for roles in various sectors. We deliver on jobs, too. Surrey was named the University of the Year for Graduate Employment in The Times/Sunday Times Good University Guide 2022.

Our Employability and Careers team will encourage you to be proactive and apply for your industry placement by writing a CV and cover letter. More importantly, your School or department will appoint a senior tutor for Professional Training who will work with you from the application process to completing your placement. This is an academic member of staff responsible for delivering the Professional Training scheme and supporting you at all journey stages. The University also provides a Professional Training coaching scheme, where you can be paired with a student who has recently returned from their placement. That way, you will have friendly support from someone who went through the same placement-seeking process and who will prepare you for the world of work. Also, as some placements abroad may involve learning and communicating in a language other than English, the University has support available to help you develop your language skills.

If you have any questions about Surrey or uni life in general, please ask as I can help you out! :smile:

Joao
Economics
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Khabizza
I'm under the same dilemma. I'm currently holding an offer from Liverpool for MSc Data Science and AI with placement year and I'm not sure if I should take it

Heyy buddy!, even I'm holding offers from Liverpool (MSc Data Science and AI with placement year) and Newcastle (MSc data science), I'm under the same impression of choosing the better course content. I guess we could help each other.
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending