The Student Room Group

Deciding which university to choose - Biomedical Science

Hi,

I’m fairly new to this site.

I plan to study biomedical science in September, but I am deciding on what university I should choose. I’ve been looking at reviews and doing research on the universities I choose on but it’s quite difficult to decide what would be suitable for the course I chose. Some reviews are quite negative about certain universities and some are positive, some don’t have any at all. I thought about attending taster days and open days but I suffer from anxiety and this is quite difficult for me to do with ease.

I received 4 conditional offers from these universities:
- University of Greenwich
- Kingston University
- University of Westminster
- Brunel University London

Please do let me know your thoughts and any advice in deciding. Anyone who is currently studying Biomedical science at University please let me know your thoughts and what I should do.

Thanks everyone! ^_^
(edited 3 years ago)
If you want to work as a biomedical scientist in the NHS after graduating, you should check to see which are IBMS accredited and prioritise those, as that is a requirement to work as a BMS in the NHS. Otherwise you want to ideally target those courses which either have in-built placements to allow you to register with the HCPC when you graduate (which are generally called Healthcare Sciences (Life Sciences), and I think not many are available anymore) or those which allow you to undertake a sandwich year placement in an approved NHS pathology lab. Bear in mind though for such sandwich course formats, a placement isn't guaranteed and you will need to be the one to take responsibility for identifying and applying to such placements.
Hi,
Thank you for your response, I have considered only for applying to the universities that award the IBMS accreditation, I have done research in this, only 3 universities award IBMS which are Greenwich, Westminster and Kingston. Also, for advice with choosing sandwich courses because I did apply for it as a sandwich, isn’t having experience helpful for future work placements. I know some people that have done a degree in a different topic aren’t able to work because of the lack of experience.
Overall, I’m pretty interested in this. Please do let me know what you think. :smile:
Original post by spicylemoncakes
Hi,

I’m fairly new to this site.

I plan to study biomedical science in September, but I am deciding on what university I should choose. I’ve been looking at reviews and doing research on the universities I choose on but it’s quite difficult to decide what would be suitable for the course I chose. Some reviews are quite negative about certain universities and some are positive, some don’t have any at all. I thought about attending taster days and open days but I suffer from anxiety and this is quite difficult for me to do with ease.

I received 4 conditional offers from these universities:
- University of Greenwich
- Kingston University
- University of Westminster
- Brunel University London

Please do let me know your thoughts and any advice in deciding. Anyone who is currently studying Biomedical science at University please let me know your thoughts and what I should do.

Thanks everyone! ^_^

Hi there,

I graduated at the University of Westminster in 2020 after four years of study there and although I didn't study Biomedical Science, i can offer some thoughts on the university as a place to study.

This was one of the main advantages that encouraged me to apply here. This is one of the most centrally located universities in London. Whether you are based at the Cavendish, Regent Street or Marylebone campus, you will always be within the heart of a bustling city that provides a unique backdrop to complete your degree.

Campuses:
There are three main campuses in central London as well as a Law School situated near to Regent Street. Therefore, you can take advantage of all they have to offer. The campuses offer state of the art facilities including new libraries, break out areas, gyms, silent work rooms and interesting seminar rooms. I was located at the Regent Street campus for my course but would spend a lot of my time at the Little Titchfield Street Law School across the street due its silent library which helped me get a lot of work done.
The Biomedical Science course will be held at Cavendish where there are three wholes floor dedicated to state of the art laboratories and science rooms.

Teaching:
I always found the tutors to be friendly, approachable and dedicated to their subjects. You will also be assigned a personal tutor who will assist you with any issues you are having with your studies. In addition, the teaching in class benefits greatly from the good connections the university has with various industries that allows for speakers to come in and talk during lectures and seminars.

Social life:
In my first year we had various freshers events organised months ahead of time and I found it useful to be a part of Facebook groups (more popular at the time) dedicated to Westminster students and nights out in the September. For the first two weeks we had a option for pretty much every night and these were located in clubs and bars mainly in the West End or Piccadilly in places like Tiger Tiger, or Ministry of Sound which is just south of the river.
There is a natural concern for the price of nights out in central London as you will have essential budgeting for those first months of university but many of the events that were advertised had discount priced drinks and entry tickets. These flyers would usually come through our door in our student halls of residence and it was a case of taking your of pick of which place to go. Another thing - you won't just be going to these events with Westminster students but people from across a range of London universities who are most likely studying in the capital for the same reasons as yourself.

Sport and Leisure:
Just a tube ride away from the center of London, there is are outdoor sports facilities located at the Quintin Hogg Memorial Sports Ground at Chiswick near the banks of the River Thames.
The extensive sports grounds can accommodate a wide range of sports, which include football, rugby, hockey, lacrosse, cricket, tennis, and netball. Additionally, the grounds include a pavilion with function rooms, bars, catering provision, extensive changing facilities and parking.

Best wishes,

James
Course Enquiries Team

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending