The Student Room Group

Is it possible to apply for a PhD with a taught Master's?

Title says it all: I have done two different taught Master's and am currently thinking of applying for a PhD next year, but I just realised that there is this distinction between Taught and Research Master's which I wasn't really familiar with. Does this mean I have to do yet another Master's, this time on Research or would this be redundant?

Thanks!

EDIT/UPDATE: I would like to thank EVERYONE for their replies on this thread. I took a while to answer because it's been a hectic week in the Master's. I was just able to see your messages and I can only say a big THANK YOU for bringing some calm to my dreadful sense of unease. Here's looking forward to doing that PhD, then! :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
You don't have to do a research masters. Folks who have done a research masters tend to "have an edge" (as their masters has prepped them more for the realities of a PhD) but so long as you can emphasise your skills and research experience (dissertations, etc), you'll be apt to apply.
Original post by rsmelgar
Title says it all: I have done two different taught Master's and am currently thinking of applying for a PhD next year, but I just realised that there is this distinction between Taught and Research Master's which I wasn't really familiar with. Does this mean I have to do yet another Master's, this time on Research or would this be redundant?

Thanks!

You definitely don't need to have an MRes to get admitted onto a PhD - otherwise I wouldn't be doing mine now! Sometimes it can be a bonus if you've need that extra experience, but it by no means excludes you if you haven't.
One masters of any kind is plenty. People get PhDs with just a bachelor's
Original post by rsmelgar

Thanks!

Hi @rsmelgar

It is great that you are considering studying for a PhD.
I am currently a second-year PhD History Student at the University of Hull.
I personally did a taught masters (MA History) before my PhD but I have fellow PhD students who studied MRes degrees.
Unless the PhD you apply for specifically states that it requires a Research Masters, I would advise that you do not need to complete another masters degree.
If you are worried/concerned I would advise contacting the Postgraduate Admissions team of the university to which you are considering applying, as they will be able to best advise you with this.
However, with the application, unless it is a pre-stated research project, if you illustrate your knowledge and that you have researched the area you are considering doing the project on and can illustrate your skills and experience you have as good a chance as any applicant.

I hope this helps, and I am happy to answer any questions which you may have

Emily
PhD History Student
University of Hull Student Representative
In agreement with everyone else, you do not NEED a research masters, although they can certainly help. I did a degree called an MRes but was still classified as a taught masters at my university at the time (even though my research projects made up 60% of my course), and am currently on a PhD. Plenty of the people who did the proper MSc taught masters course back when I did my Masters have been able to find PhD's just fine as well.
Reply 6
I would like to thank EVERYONE for their replies on this thread. I took a while to answer because it's been a hectic week in the Master's. I was just able to see your messages and I can only say a big THANK YOU for bringing some calm to my dreadful sense of unease. Here's looking forward to doing that PhD, then! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending