The Student Room Group

Starting university anxiety

I am currently in year 13 studying psychology, sociology and biology and got an offer to study psychology at Southampton (firm) and psychology with cognitive neuroscience at Leicester (insurance) and am currently worried about starting university in September. I am currently in the university groupchats and some people aren't very nice and it's making me really anxious about people as i have been bullied in schools a lot and don't know if bullying happens at uni, or will i ever make friends at uni, will people hate me for me being me? Do people get anxiety before starting uni? Can anyone give me tips please. Thanks x
Hey! I totally understand, I’ve always been really anxious especially socially. I did my degree 2012-16 and I’m going back to uni in September too. I was SO anxious before I went and in the first few weeks but everything worked out fine.

I joined some online groups before starting too but honestly I didn’t find it that useful, I think it’s quite hard to get to know people online and make friends that way. Just like anywhere else people can be rude or difficult, but I found uni much better in terms of bullying etc mostly because everyone has chosen to be there doing that course. I made really good friends on my course, I’m still close to them now!

My advice really is to be yourself and try and push yourself. Join societies, go to events, do things you find scary. But also take care of yourself and know when it’s too much. Also remember everyone is anxious about something when they start uni, some people are just really good at not showing it. Good luck, you’ll do great!
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 2
University is so so so much different to school. People are actually adults at this point and it's typically where people flourish and can be themselves. I really wouldn't worry. Be prepared to put yourself out there a bit more. You won't make friends if you just attend classes and rush straight back home, for example. There are also loads of clubs/societies for people you share interests with, so they are great for making friends too.

Be excited!
Original post by Anonymous
I am currently in year 13 studying psychology, sociology and biology and got an offer to study psychology at Southampton (firm) and psychology with cognitive neuroscience at Leicester (insurance) and am currently worried about starting university in September. I am currently in the university groupchats and some people aren't very nice and it's making me really anxious about people as i have been bullied in schools a lot and don't know if bullying happens at uni, or will i ever make friends at uni, will people hate me for me being me? Do people get anxiety before starting uni? Can anyone give me tips please. Thanks x

Hi :smile:

I'm currently a second year Psychology student at Portsmouth Uni and I felt exactly the same when I applied to University.
I was anxious that I wouldn't make friends etc and it is completely valid to feel that way, it is a whole new experience!

The main think to acknowledge is that there are so many ways to meet people and make friends at Uni. This could be in your halls and on your course, but even within societies. Societies are a really good way to meet people with common interests as yours. So definitely look into these! Even through part time jobs/volunteering too!
You will meet so many more people on your course/in your accommodation too that aren't in the group chats on social media.
It is so normal to feel apprehensive before you arrive at University.

I hope this helps, if you have any other questions please let me know! :smile:
Sian- UoP Rep
Reply 4
I was nervous before starting university, it is a normal approach to have. But once you get past the initial nerves and start to get really into your course and meeting new people it will be one of the best experiences you will have.

Hey!

I thought I'd share my experience with you. I’m currently a student at Strathclyde studying on the Diploma program to become a lawyer. I was really nervous before I started uni as I moved away to study and lived three hours from my home city. I didn’t know anyone on my course so I was worried that I wouldn’t make any friends.

There’s lots of ways to make friends at uni either with people on your course, through the societies you join or flatmates and other people that live in your halls. Most universities hold freshers events during the first week of the semester. Lots of societies attend freshers week so it's a great way to meet some of their members if you're interested in a particular society! You can go with friends in your halls or your course friends :smile:

I had an induction the first day of freshers and I was really nervous about going along to it! I met two girls after a tutorial on my course and we went along to all the freshers events that week. We became such good friends that we decided to flat share in second year so you'll never know who you'll meet at uni!

Hope this helps :smile:

Melissa- Student Ambassador

@Anonymous
I did my degree in Sociology and my MSc in Psychology so I know a little about the social science student experience.

I think its important to remember that because of Covid 19 there is a lot of general anxiety about people going off to University, after some of the challenging experiences that people have faced with online learning in the last year - remember every adult in the UK should be vaccinated by the end of July. Also, group chats are not an accurate representation of a student group (think about all the posturing and arguments than go on on Facebook and Twitter etc). Like any course at any university there will be people you get on with and those you don't.

I've taught in the social sciences for 8 years now, and a high proportion of sociology/psychology students experience anxiety (as did I!) maybe its a sensitivity to whats going on in the world around us. What I would advise is that when you go to University, make an appointment with the student support team and they will be able to discuss the support available

You'll do great!
Marc
Arden University Student ambassador
Reply 7

Hey, I really relate to this. I have finished university, finished last year. I was worried about exactly the same thing as the bullying at school was horrible. still have ptsd from it but university is so much more mature as people have made a choice to be there and pay money to attend, and everything is taken more seriously by the university. You deserve more and have a great time; if I could go back I'd give people a chance, go to more societies I enjoy and befriend people who felt safe and I liked hanging around. Uni was one of the best experiences of my life, I'll never have that again. Please don't worry about the bullying, there are ***** everywhere but I found one guy like that on my course and literally with all due respect to him, no one liked him on our course even though people like that harm others in secondary. Hope this helps :smile:
Hey there!

I'm sorry to hear that you're feeling like this :frown: I just wanted to reach out as I felt the exact same before starting University - so it's completely normal.
It's so incredibly daunting starting University, so don't be fooled by everyone's snapchat stories / Instagram's. I think something to remember, which I wish someone would have told me, is that everyone's in the same boat. Everyone at Freshers feels like they're back in Year 7, trying to make friends - and in a way that's quite relieving to know! Luckily, with the amount of people that do go to University, if you do encounter a 'bad egg' it wont be too difficult to disassociate yourself with them and make some more friends. Overtime, you'll start creating small friendship groups, and by the end of the year I am sure you will have a handful of friends that you've made. As scary as it sometimes may seem, try and get chatting to as many people as you can - I like to give someone a compliment and then that often gets the ball rolling! :biggrin: Usually, after speaking to someone for the first 5/6 minutes you'll get a 'vibe' of the person, and you'll instantly know whether you'd click with that person on a friendship level!

I hope that's helpful and eased your worries, best of luck to you!

Ana:h:
University of Liverpool Rep.
Most people are scared, anxious and stressed when they start university.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending