The Student Room Group

Complicated qualifications at a Russel Group university

Before I really delve into my question I think its important to clarify some things:
- During secondary school/start of GCSE's I was a pretty average student with predictions of 7s, 6s and 5s.

- Moved to the US due to fathers work and studied at an international student

- I suffered from emotional problems (depression and anxiety) due to a lack of friends and family leading me to lose concentration on school work

- At the end of my GCSES its safe to say that i wasn't very impressed with my results, having 1 B (english language) 3 C's (humanity's and maths) and the rest being at D grades.

- Understandably, my school thought it best for my to study the IBCP which included a Btec national extended diploma in business, SL economics and SL language and literature.

- I'm not sure what exactly happened myself but I started to feel confident again and made a some great friends, additionally my grades did pretty well, come December I had predicted grades of D*D*D* 5 hl economics and 5 sl English.

- Some time later I decided to take the extra mile and move from sl economics to hl economics.

- Fast forward until now I have maintained my prediction in Btec of D*D*D*, moved economics to a grade 6/7 and English to a 5/6. additionally I have started redoing my GCSES maths largely by myself with no assistance from he school and achieved a predicted grade of 8/9.

- I applied to mainly Russel group universities and have been rejected by durham and accepted to Lancaster studying finance/finance and accounting.

- An option that I could take is doing a level pure mathematics in one year alongside some internships/work and then applying for uni next year.

Now for the questions!

- Taking my background into consideration what grades do you guys think I could get for pure maths? I understand that A level maths isn't a walk in the park.

- Would universities care if I took a level maths in one year by itself (will it be seen as easier and therefore not as compelling)

- Is it worth it to mentioning my GCSE experience to universities

- Should I mention my failed GCSE's at a all!!

- Should I retake a couple of GCSE's?

- What universities would be within my grasp? Assuming that I get D*D*D, level 7 hl economics, level 5 sl English and potentially an A/A* at maths.

Thanks in advance for the great feedback!!!

hopefully...
I would recommend that you wait for the decision from your other 3 choices (and extra and clearing if you’re not happy with any of your offers ) before deciding on a gap year.

You MUST declare ALL your qualifications on ucas. You cannot pick and choose.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending