The Student Room Group

Re-applying to a medical school whilst in first year at another medical school

Hi, I've received an offer from a medical school for 2021 entry, which of course, particularly given this year's circumstances, I am very grateful to have been given. However, I've realised that I applied to maximise the strengths of my application (which I don't feel is inherently a bad thing), rather than where I would be most happy / where would suit me the most.

There is a particular medical school that I have dreamed of going to for several years now (not Oxbridge), where I feel the course and environment would have suited me really well, but unfortunately, I didn't receive an invitation to interview. Part of me wants to somehow reapply to this medical school, but I'm aware of the following things:

- all medical schools are medical schools, and if medicine / being a doctor is the main goal, it doesn't matter as much where you go
- competition is particularly fierce, especially now, with more applicants and fewer interviews being held in many cases
- applying again during first year (if I make the offer) seems uncommitted, costly and I suppose, quite a silly move?

I'm sort of at a loss as to what to do now - it might just be disappointment at not having got something I set my sights on for ages, but I wanted to know if anyone has somehow transferred medical schools recently, or even just applied for entry into 1st year again.
Honestly, Don't get hung up about the location of where it is. Im going on to my fourth college now in Septmeber in the UK and I've loved all three previous ones I was at! took me a while to get to where I needed to go obviously..anyways. this time next year you won't even be thinking about "oh I should have went here or there". you'll be flat out studying and will have made friends and connections that you'll have for life. So, morale of the story is : cop on and embrace the new challenge that awaits you and don't get fooled into thinking the grass is greener on the other side because it very rarely is!

Best of luck nonetheless
Reply 2
When I applied I had my heart set on a particular med school (close to home/friends etc) and I was really disappointed when I didn’t get an interview. I ended up getting an offer from a place I’d purely applied to out of strategy, which wasn’t somewhere I was particularly excited to move to. I took the offer and looking back I can actually see it was a near perfect fit for me. Obviously your circumstances may be different, but just because it’s not exactly what/where you wanted doesn’t mean it’s going to be a bad thing.

As others have said above, you’re not guaranteed another offer in the future, and you will struggle be accepted anywhere after you’ve already enrolled. Personally I’d accept it, med school is only 5 years of your career compared to the lifetime of work.
Reply 3
Original post by aesthetix
Hi, I've received an offer from a medical school for 2021 entry, which of course, particularly given this year's circumstances, I am very grateful to have been given. However, I've realised that I applied to maximise the strengths of my application (which I don't feel is inherently a bad thing), rather than where I would be most happy / where would suit me the most.

There is a particular medical school that I have dreamed of going to for several years now (not Oxbridge), where I feel the course and environment would have suited me really well, but unfortunately, I didn't receive an invitation to interview. Part of me wants to somehow reapply to this medical school, but I'm aware of the following things:

- all medical schools are medical schools, and if medicine / being a doctor is the main goal, it doesn't matter as much where you go
- competition is particularly fierce, especially now, with more applicants and fewer interviews being held in many cases
- applying again during first year (if I make the offer) seems uncommitted, costly and I suppose, quite a silly move?

I'm sort of at a loss as to what to do now - it might just be disappointment at not having got something I set my sights on for ages, but I wanted to know if anyone has somehow transferred medical schools recently, or even just applied for entry into 1st year again.

Unless you have some kind of personal traumatic experience attached to the university and/or city where you've received an offer, it makes no sense to me why you would even consider applying again to get in somewhere else. Medical school offers are not easy to come by. Be grateful that you got a place - look at what you do have and stop dwelling on what could have been. You would feel pretty stupid if you turned down your current offer in favour of applying to another university, and then you don't get a place. You've got an offer already - just take it. It's a no-brainer to me. Those three points you highlighted are all the justification you need to go ahead and accept this offer and forget about all the other places you couldn't get into. I guarantee you that no patient or colleague gives a monkeys which medical school you went to.

It seems to me that lots of applicants and medical students struggle to come to terms with moving around a lot even though this is pretty much a necessity of medical training all the way until you become a consultant. Not everyone gets a place in areas that they like. You're going to medical school to study and get your qualification, not to fall in love with the city. Spend a few years there getting your qualification, then you're free to leave and never go back again if you wish. You're not moving there permanently. Living in a city you don't like can actually be a good thing sometimes - it motivates you to focus more on your studying and becoming independent. I know better than most - I've lived in a lot of places that I hated, just so I can study what I want to. Rejection and disappointment is a part of life - it's best to just take it in your stride and move on.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending