The Student Room Group

I don't enjoy uni

I'm in my second year of my degree and am honestly just super unhappy when I'm at uni. I'm still at home right now and am putting off going back to my uni accommodation even though most of my friends have returned.
I don't find my subject very interesting (I pushed myself to do a sciencey degree when I really wanted to study English), my accommodation is run-down and cold and I'm homesick most of the time. I have zero motivation and am feeling burned out so I'm getting pretty bad grades which just makes me even more unmotivated. My coursemates all seem so interested in what we are studying and ask really good questions so I feel I'm far behind them.
I just want to get a job asap but all the careers I'm interested in require further study. Its too late to change course or uni and I don't want to drop out after I've invested so much money in the course. Does anyone relate or have some advice for me? Sorry if this post sounded really whiney xD
Reply 1
First of all, I would like to point out that university is a major change in life and undeniably will be hard to adjust to for some time. However, I think you should consider all options if you really are feeling that way as you shouldn't have to deal with feeling so terrible. I have heard of people dropping out of uni and then returning the next year under a different course, I think you could maybe consider that and try out English like you originally wanted?

Take this time to see what will work for you :smile: changing accommodation if you can, working from home more if possible, consider work placements maybe to spruce it up a bit and to get more involved in your course? If you've explored all options, maybe it will be best to drop out of uni for your own mental health. At the end of the day there is no point forcing yourself through a course if you don't enjoy it - can't pay all those uni fees and that for no reason. Very best of luck! I hope you are able to find an option which is best for you (emphasis on focusing on what YOU want rather than anyone else)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending