The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Oxford Postgraduate Waitlisters 2021

Hope everyone is doing okay and the wait hasn't been too difficult - thought it might be helpful to create a space for waitlisters to be able to discuss the process and hopefully any offers that come through! I'd also recommend that people get on the waiting list contact their respective departments to find out where they have been ranked on the waiting list, how many people are on the waiting list, how many offers have been made for their course, course capacity and the deadline for offer holders to respond to their offers - just because for me this has given me a bit of peace of mind (if ever such thing exists when being on a waiting list!) and helped me to keep things in perspective. :smile:

I've also made this threat for fellow English Mst waitlisters as well! - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6938128
(edited 2 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Great idea - I've been waitlisted for MSc Modern South Asian Studies, have emailed the department but not heard back yet
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Reply 2
Thanks for making this group! I've been waitlisted for MSt Women's, Gender and Sexuality Studies, and I've also emailed my department but hasn't received any answers yet. Did the people who got some answers got it out of the courtesy of the department, or is this actually some information that can be disclosed to anyone who asks?
Reply 3
Original post by MSEEstudent
Great idea - I've been waitlisted for MSc Modern South Asian Studies, have emailed the department but not heard back yet

Hi, I hope you hear back soon!
Original post by rkcg
Thanks for making this group! I've been waitlisted for MSt Women's, Gender and Sexuality Studies, and I've also emailed my department but hasn't received any answers yet. Did the people who got some answers got it out of the courtesy of the department, or is this actually some information that can be disclosed to anyone who asks?

I'm not too sure about the answer to this question, I just emailed the English Faculty Graduate Office and they replied with the information about offers, course target capacity and waiting lists. I would hope though that it was standard practice to provide this information given how helpful it is for people on the waiting list.

How long ago did you both email by the way?
Original post by Wildean99

I'm not too sure about the answer to this question, I just emailed the English Faculty Graduate Office and they replied with the information about offers, course target capacity and waiting lists. I would hope though that it was standard practice to provide this information given how helpful it is for people on the waiting list.

I emailed last week and followed up today so hopefully will hear back soon
Reply 5
I emailed last week and followed up today so hopefully will hear back soon

Ah right okay, yes hopefully you'll hear back soon. I imagine the departments are quite busy at the moment but I'm sure they'll get back to you when they can!

When did you guys find out about being placed on the waiting list by the way?
Ah right okay, yes hopefully you'll hear back soon. I imagine the departments are quite busy at the moment but I'm sure they'll get back to you when they can!

15th March - and I think offer holders have to make a decision a month from when they get their offer?
Hope everyone is doing okay and the wait hasn't been too difficult - thought it might be helpful to create a space for waitlisters to be able to discuss the process and hopefully any offers that come through! I'd also recommend that people get on the waiting list contact their respective departments to find out where they have been ranked on the waiting list, how many people are on the waiting list, how many offers have been made for their course, course capacity and the deadline for offer holders to respond to their offers - just because for me this has given me a bit of peace of mind (if ever such thing exists when being on a waiting list!) and helped me to keep things in perspective. :smile:

I've also made this threat for fellow English Mst waitlisters as well! - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6938128

Hello all, I'm waitlisted on the MSt in Practical Ethics. I emailed today about how many places are left to fill, how many others are waitlisted, and if we are ranked. I would have thought that this seemed a little too pushy or something, but seems like standard practice from those waitlisted on here and I really wanted to know of course so I followed suit.
Reply 8
15th March - and I think offer holders have to make a decision a month from when they get their offer?

Ah right okay, in my case I heard back mid-February and was told that offer holders have until early April to respond to their offers so they might send out offers then and then the other time that offers might be sent out is when results are out and people don't meet the conditions of their offers - of course, it is possible that people will decline their offers at other times for a variety of reasons, particularly if their acceptance is based on funding/scholarships.

Original post by EricVillage
Hello all, I'm waitlisted on the MSt in Practical Ethics. I emailed today about how many places are left to fill, how many others are waitlisted, and if we are ranked. I would have thought that this seemed a little too pushy or something, but seems like standard practice from those waitlisted on here and I really wanted to know of course so I followed suit.

Yes I thought it might come across as a bit pushy as well initially but I think the information was worth knowing to risk coming across that way and my department was very nice and helpful when answering my queries so I think it should be okay to ask - hope you hear back soon!
Reply 9

I emailed today after seeing a comment (perhaps yours?) int the big TSR threat a couple of hours ago. I've been told about being put on the waitlist on Friday, and rejections started to be rolled out for my course today. I haven't heard from anyone else who has been put on the waiting list for my course yet.

Is it true offer holders have to make a decision in a month's time? I thought they had until June/July to wait for decisions on funding, as that is obviously a crucial factor for many to consider. The deadline Cambridge gave me is 30th July so I though it would be the same here?
Reply 10
Original post by rkcg
I emailed today after seeing a comment (perhaps yours?) int the big TSR threat a couple of hours ago. I've been told about being put on the waitlist on Friday, and rejections started to be rolled out for my course today. I haven't heard from anyone else who has been put on the waiting list for my course yet.

Is it true offer holders have to make a decision in a month's time? I thought they had until June/July to wait for decisions on funding, as that is obviously a crucial factor for many to consider. The deadline Cambridge gave me is 30th July so I though it would be the same here?

Ah right okay, thank you for letting me know, is there any mention of people being waitlisted for your course on GradCafe? In terms of the decision timeline, it may vary by course but the Graduate Office for my course explicitly told me that offer holders have until early April to respond to their offers and that they may make more offers to candidates on the waiting list at this stage. Like I said though, this might vary by course so if possible I would see if you could ask anyone that has an offer for your course or to ask the department if you want to find out the specifics for your course.

Original post by OX2102
Hi, I’ve been waitlisted for GGD. Wishing you all the best guys. Have you been able to find out your place on the waitlist?

Yes I found out by emailing the Graduate Office for my faculty - as well as how many people were on the waiting list, how many had offers and what their target capacity is for the course I applied for.
Reply 11
Ah right okay, thank you for letting me know, is there any mention of people being waitlisted for your course on GradCafe? In terms of the decision timeline, it may vary by course but the Graduate Office for my course explicitly told me that offer holders have until early April to respond to their offers and that they may make more offers to candidates on the waiting list at this stage. Like I said though, this might vary by course so if possible I would see if you could ask anyone that has an offer for your course or to ask the department if you want to find out the specifics for your course.

Hm, I haven't heard of any acceptances yet, I think they only sent out a few rejects so far, but it's a great idea. No mention of anyone who is on the waiting list on Gras Cafe, just a few rejects. I emailed back the lady who sent out my waiting list email immediately after I received it to ask for a broad timeframe of when I might hear back, and she said they will have a better idea of how many people are planning on rejecting their offers in late June/July, so the deadlines may actually vary by departments. Anyways, it's good to know how other departments respond as it feels like we've been thrown into deep water again haha.

Would Oxford be the first choice for everyone? I really can't decide between Oxford and Cambridge, and it is possible I would choose Cambridge even if I was offered a place from the waiting list, but idk
Reply 12
Original post by rkcg
Hm, I haven't heard of any acceptances yet, I think they only sent out a few rejects so far, but it's a great idea. No mention of anyone who is on the waiting list on Gras Cafe, just a few rejects. I emailed back the lady who sent out my waiting list email immediately after I received it to ask for a broad timeframe of when I might hear back, and she said they will have a better idea of how many people are planning on rejecting their offers in late June/July, so the deadlines may actually vary by departments. Anyways, it's good to know how other departments respond as it feels like we've been thrown into deep water again haha.

Would Oxford be the first choice for everyone? I really can't decide between Oxford and Cambridge, and it is possible I would choose Cambridge even if I was offered a place from the waiting list, but idk

That's interesting, things must be being done differently with your department than mine because the offers were sent out first, then waitlists and then rejects - but then again maybe there were just more people on my course on the student room and GradCafe. But like you say, its good to know how its being done across different departments because it does feel a bit like being thrown in the deep end - in my case as well I think this is the first year that my course has done waiting lists as well!

In terms of first choices, Oxford is my first choice but my decision is scholarship/funding driven so if I were to receive that from any of my top three (Durham and Leeds are the other two) then that would really drive my decision. In terms of choosing between Oxford and Cambridge, if I were in your position I'd try and work out what the staff are like at the department and which suits your research interests better. I'd also consider finances and if you get scholarships or funding then that would presumably make a big difference and also any course differences would be my main factors. I also think that some people are interested in cohort sizes, with some wanting bigger and some wanting smaller ones so that's something else to keep in mind.

Original post by OX2102
Thank you. If I may ask (do not need to disclose your actual place in the list) how many were on the list for your course

There are 6 people on the waiting list for my course, 16 offers were sent out and they have a target capacity of 13 so to be honest, even if three people reject them, I imagine that they still won't give offers to people on the waiting list. Its quite frustrating because for a year that has seemingly had so many more applications, they have sent out a lot less offers than they usually do! In fact, had they stuck to the amount of offers that they usually send out and if I had ranked the same (and all those variables were controlled and everything), I would have got a place so that's quite frustrating but oh well!
Reply 13
Original post by Blabla16
Hi all, I have been waitlisted as well. So the offers happen to be more than the the course capacity intended for as indicated in the course page - even some decline there might be a surplus. In this situation how does the waitlist work and when do the waitlist offers step up can somebody please enlighten me?

Hiya, so in my case there were 16 offers sent out and 13 is the target capacity for the course I applied for so in theory, three people could decline their offer and they wouldn't need to consider waiting list applicants (also the waiting list is ranked in order of consideration I think). That being said, the course previously had a much higher capacity of around 20 for the last couple of years so its difficult to say if there is any wiggle room as it were.
I have been waitlisted for MPhil Modern Middle Eastern Studies on Monday. I have sent an email to the department of Oriental Studies to learn about my position on the waitlist and how much time is given to the offer holders to respond back.
Nothing yet. They might still be going over other applications.
I am just hoping that it won't take 10+ weeks to get a reply lol.
Reply 15
Original post by Dazdimbrok
I have been waitlisted for MPhil Modern Middle Eastern Studies on Monday. I have sent an email to the department of Oriental Studies to learn about my position on the waitlist and how much time is given to the offer holders to respond back.

Hope you hear back soon! Keep us posted!
Reply 16
Original post by Dazdimbrok

Hi, I received an offer for that MPhil. They gave us until 9 April to accept. Hopefully you'll hear back around then. Best of luck x
Reply 17
Original post by Sm9324
Hi, I received an offer for that MPhil. They gave us until 9 April to accept. Hopefully you'll hear back around then. Best of luck x

Just to clarify, did you receive an offer when they were first given out or have you since got an offer after being on the waiting list?
Reply 18
Just to clarify, did you receive an offer when they were first given out or have you since got an offer after being on the waiting list?

I received an offer March 12/was not waitlisted. Not sure when they were first given out exactly
Reply 19
Original post by Sm9324
I received an offer March 12/was not waitlisted. Not sure when they were first given out exactly

Ah right, thank you for the clarification!

Quick Reply