The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

I’m a first year at leeds ask me anything :)

Last year i had so many questions that never got answered , especially about accommodation - so thought i’d create this and try and help anyone who’s freaking out a bit lol

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tango4723
Last year i had so many questions that never got answered , especially about accommodation - so thought i’d create this and try and help anyone who’s freaking out a bit lol

Hi, I'm looking for a cheaper accommodation as won't have much maintenance loan so was just wondering if you've heard much about montague burton. I would like to be in quite a sociable hall where it's easier to make friends but just worried about sharing a bathroom. What do you think of shared bathrooms?? Thanks
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

What halls are you in?

is it true that the accom for cityside and central village are not very social?
Reply 4
Original post by Caits_02!
Hi, I'm looking for a cheaper accommodation as won't have much maintenance loan so was just wondering if you've heard much about montague burton. I would like to be in quite a sociable hall where it's easier to make friends but just worried about sharing a bathroom. What do you think of shared bathrooms?? Thanks

hey! i’m actually in monty b rn so i can help with this! honestly sharing a bathroom is fine! there’s 3 showers and 3 toilets and there’s never really been an issue with it, honestly i kind of prefer shared bathroom because we have cleaners that come in and clean it 3 times a week which is great if ur lazy like me hahaha. as for the social aspect i think it’s great here, i love all of my flat mates and everyone i’ve met so far here in different blocks seems to get on with their flat aswell which is really unusual compared to some of the other accommodations which r hit and miss with the social side
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous
is it true that the accom for cityside and central village are not very social?

hi, i can’t speak for cityside as i don’t know anyone there (which may say something about how social it is i guess) but whether u get a social flat in central village is just up to luck, i have a few friends that love it but at the same time i also know people who have found it really hard there, one girl actually ended up moving to a different accommodation. i think generally central village is getting more social each year but that could just be the people i’ve met from there? hope this helps :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by WhiteBlueBell
What halls are you in?

i’m in montague burton!
i’m in montague burton!

Thank-you . have you heard anything about white rose? Is is worth the extra expense?
Reply 8
Thank-you . have you heard anything about white rose? Is is worth the extra expense?

yeah, i'm thinking of white rose view too. it seems like its worth it because of the private gym, study rooms, common room, theatre etc...

i'm saving up throughout this year so i have a bit of leeway on budgeting in first year 😫

This is really helpful of you thanks! Do you know anyone living at Sentinel Towers or the Tannery?

hi yes i know quite a few people at white rose and the flats r lovely bc it was new this year and it’s pretty sociable but in terms of whether it’s worth the expense i think depends on ur price range. if it’s not too much of a stretch for u then it’s alright but if ur going to struggle a bit with money i don’t think it’s make or break getting into white rose, wherever u r i guarantee u will find social people (apart from central village which is very hit or miss). also consider whether u would be ok not getting white rose and being put into lupton/ oxley as this is extremely likely
Reply 11
Original post by rubyblt55
This is really helpful of you thanks! Do you know anyone living at Sentinel Towers or the Tannery?

hey! i met a girl at the tannery and i remember her saying it was mostly girls there, so bear that in mind if ur more interested in a mixed flat - it also could have just been this year that more girls had applied to it? idk but worth taking into account. apart from that i dont think either have much connection to the other accommodations, they seem to keep to themselves, which isn’t necessarily a bad thing! i’m pretty sure ine of the two has a lot of medicine and dental students in? not sure if this is common knowledge so that might be useless to u!
I'm an international student and I'm applying for my accommodations soon and I'm looking for catered and on-campus options, so between Charles Morris, Ellerslie Global Residence and Lyddon Hall.

a) I want a residence that is diverse, which of those residences ^ are more diverse? I've read mixed things about Ellerslie Global Residence in terms of the actual number international students, does it have a diverse feel?

b) I don't party a lot but I still want to go out and socialize. I've heard Charles Morris Hall and Lyddon Hall are social, but I don't want a place that's loud all the time. Do those residences get loud a lot of the times, how are they like in the social aspect?

I'm applying for my accommodations soon and I don't know much about them yet so please give me some tips, thanks
Hi. Any tips on which accommodations to avoid, and which that are really good? Thanks!
Reply 14
Hey, could you help me pick between lyddon and Charles Morris. I want an accommodation which is pretty quiet ( like no parties every night) but still social.
What's been your favourite and least favourite thing about living in university accommodation?
Hey! I’m hoepfully going to uni of Leeds in sep and I’m just applying to accommodation now. I was set on James baillie for months but I’ve just had a change of heart. Mostly because the 25 min walk/6min bus to campus is off putting about jb. Im lazy asf. I’m thinking of applying for white rose view instead. It seems so much more convenient since it’s next to everything (eg Morrison’s is a 5 min walk) and it’s nicer and the same price (£161pw). I was just thinking what do you advise? Do you think white rose view is a good accom?
Original post by Leomontgomery
Hey! I’m hoepfully going to uni of Leeds in sep and I’m just applying to accommodation now. I was set on James baillie for months but I’ve just had a change of heart. Mostly because the 25 min walk/6min bus to campus is off putting about jb. Im lazy asf. I’m thinking of applying for white rose view instead. It seems so much more convenient since it’s next to everything (eg Morrison’s is a 5 min walk) and it’s nicer and the same price (£161pw). I was just thinking what do you advise? Do you think white rose view is a good accom?

For what it's worth, I seriously considered White Rose View for a while and it looks incredible, the best accommodation by far. I would've picked it but it's just but too expensive. I'd say go for it, but the only risk is that it's a very new accommodation so there aren't many reviews on it from students.

From the video and 360 degree tours it looks amazing though.
Original post by nesstudent
For what it's worth, I seriously considered White Rose View for a while and it looks incredible, the best accommodation by far. I would've picked it but it's just but too expensive. I'd say go for it, but the only risk is that it's a very new accommodation so there aren't many reviews on it from students.

From the video and 360 degree tours it looks amazing though.

Thank you! I think I’m definitely going to apply. I’m applying right now and I’m just curious, where it asks for other considerations, is there anything I should write that could help me make sure I get the accommodation/type of room I want?
Original post by Leomontgomery
Thank you! I think I’m definitely going to apply. I’m applying right now and I’m just curious, where it asks for other considerations, is there anything I should write that could help me make sure I get the accommodation/type of room I want?

I put the accommodation I'd like to be put in if my first choice wasn't available. Also, put anything non-medical that you would like them to consider. Could be anything really.

Quick Reply

Latest