The Student Room Group

Could I still be successful in applying to Cambridge?

I took my GCSEs in a grammar school, getting one 9, five 8s, five 7s and a 6. Whilst I’m aware they were generally good, my problem is that they were in a grammar school, so would not be in the same achievement as those getting all 9s.
I wasn’t doing great mental health wise during GCSEs (but cannot mention this as I was not diagnosed) but I also feel that my school did not represent what I would have gotten fairly (the 6 would have been an 8, and some 7s would have been 8s, while 4 of the 8s would have been 9s) and I was not allowed to appeal nor in the headspace to retake them. I am now working hard and currently on track to receiving 4A*s or 3A*s and 1A at A level, but I just wondered if Cambridge might still see me as average and be less likely to consider me, especially as our grades were not necessarily representative or standardised at GCSE.
(edited 3 years ago)
My brother, (a year older than me and I'm current year 13) got no 9s at GCSE. He had predicted grades of AAA. He applied to the HSPS course at Cambridge, took the entrance exam and submitted a couple of essays... he got the interview, SMASHED the interview and then got an offer of A* A A for the course he wanted. He took a gap year, after having to take the real exams to get the grades as the government and teachers wouldn't give him the grades - he's going there in September as Cambridge said they would hold his place. He went to a Grammar School too. Sorry if this is a ramble but my point is that Cambridge don't put *much* thought into GCSE grades. They care about passion for your subject. You have to live and BREATHE it, and that HAS to reflect in your interview. If you REALLY love the course, you're in for a good chance! Good Luck! XX
Original post by octaviaoj
My brother, (a year older than me and I'm current year 13) got no 9s at GCSE. He had predicted grades of AAA. He applied to the HSPS course at Cambridge, took the entrance exam and submitted a couple of essays... he got the interview, SMASHED the interview and then got an offer of A* A A for the course he wanted. He took a gap year, after having to take the real exams to get the grades as the government and teachers wouldn't give him the grades - he's going there in September as Cambridge said they would hold his place. He went to a Grammar School too. Sorry if this is a ramble but my point is that Cambridge don't put *much* thought into GCSE grades. They care about passion for your subject. You have to live and BREATHE it, and that HAS to reflect in your interview. If you REALLY love the course, you're in for a good chance! Good Luck! XX

Yeah I agree with this. To get an interview you need a decent personal statement which you can control and good predicted grades so you should be fine. They don't really care about your GCSEs unless you fail maths and English. I applied for Cambridge maths this year, and got rejected so they gave me some advice which you might want to here. They didn't give any feedback on how I should improve because there's no marking criteria at an interview unlike a levels. To be frank it was just because I wasn't good enough. Think of applying as entering a competition and the interviewers there being judges and rating you with scores.
Original post by Maya.kg16
I took my GCSEs in a grammar school, getting one 9, five 8s, five 7s and a 6. Whilst I’m aware they were generally good, my problem is that they were in a grammar school, so would not be in the same achievement as those getting all 9s.
I wasn’t doing great mental health wise during GCSEs (but cannot mention this as I was not diagnosed) but I also feel that my school did not represent what I would have gotten fairly (the 6 would have been an 8, and some 7s would have been 8s, while 4 of the 8s would have been 9s) and I was not allowed to appeal nor in the headspace to retake them. I am now working hard and currently on track to receiving 4A*s or 3A*s and 1A at A level, but I just wondered if Cambridge might still see me as average and be less likely to consider me, especially as our grades were not necessarily representative or standardised at GCSE.

given your alevels being so good I'd say your chances are pretty good they'll probs make up for ur GCSE's
Original post by asianism
Yeah I agree with this. To get an interview you need a decent personal statement which you can control and good predicted grades so you should be fine. They don't really care about your GCSEs unless you fail maths and English. I applied for Cambridge maths this year, and got rejected so they gave me some advice which you might want to here. They didn't give any feedback on how I should improve because there's no marking criteria at an interview unlike a levels. To be frank it was just because I wasn't good enough. Think of applying as entering a competition and the interviewers there being judges and rating you with scores.

Sorry to hear you got rejected :frown: I think it's also important to remember that it is SO competitive - and at the end of the day luck probably has a bigger factor than people think in getter an offer after interview. My friend got rejected from an engineering course from Cambridge and (obviously i'm biased, but) I firmly believe she is the best physicist / mathematician and would have been the perfect candidate for the course. Sometime's it's not about being not good enough , but rather pot luck on the day!!
Reply 5

Thank you so much- that’s really reassuring! I do absolutely love the course and academic environments so hopefully I can prove myself 🤞 thanks again!

Have others had similar situations?
Reply 6
Original post by asianism

I’m sorry to hear that- I’m sure you were great! I’ll definitely keep that in mind :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by the_pharaoh
given your alevels being so good I'd say your chances are pretty good they'll probs make up for ur GCSE's

Thank you!
Thank you!

ye u dont have to worry with alevels as impressive as those I can say ur pretty safe plus ur gcse's might not be cambridge qualoty but they aren't horrible yk
Thank you so much- that’s really reassuring! I do absolutely love the course and academic environments so hopefully I can prove myself 🤞 thanks again!

Have others had similar situations?

I have a couple of friends who are at Cambridge, one studies languages and the other studies Medicine. They obviously achieved really high IB / at A level, but I would say the determining factor that got them in was how much time they took outside of their classes to study the subject- so that at interview they could really demonstrate how much they LOVED it. xxx
Reply 10
I have a couple of friends who are at Cambridge, one studies languages and the other studies Medicine. They obviously achieved really high IB / at A level, but I would say the determining factor that got them in was how much time they took outside of their classes to study the subject- so that at interview they could really demonstrate how much they LOVED it. xxx

What did they do outside the subject? I have 2 books going, a summer school I’m waiting to hear from, some lab work experience I’m waiting to hear from and a few science magazines. Do you think that’ll show or is it worth starting my own little project for fun over summer maybe? I know you can’t directly say but if anyone can advise?
What did they do outside the subject? I have 2 books going, a summer school I’m waiting to hear from, some lab work experience I’m waiting to hear from and a few science magazines. Do you think that’ll show or is it worth starting my own little project for fun over summer maybe? I know you can’t directly say but if anyone can advise?

I think all those things are great, but a project you work on is extremely individual to you and it might help you stand out a bit from all the people taking about work experience and books they've read - which will no doubt sound similar in places. Definitely go for it. My language friend just had a passion for language apps since he was a kid and learned a lot of languages fluently 😂... so yeah I would saying reading past the information you're expected to know at A level to develop a deeper understanding of the subject would help you a lot in the application.

I think it's worth a shot, in your case, as long as you aren't applying for an extremely competitive course. However, and I speak as a current Cambridge student, please weigh up whether you can manage your mental health well enough now to thrive at Cambridge, which is extremely intense and pressurising. I went to another university before Cambridge, and I have noticed a marked difference.
Reply 13
Original post by Sandtrooper
I think it's worth a shot, in your case, as long as you aren't applying for an extremely competitive course. However, and I speak as a current Cambridge student, please weigh up whether you can manage your mental health well enough now to thrive at Cambridge, which is extremely intense and pressurising. I went to another university before Cambridge, and I have noticed a marked difference.

Mental health wise I am best under pressure, it more the guilt when I'm not working and the social side that affects me. Academic environments are my safe place, as strange as it sounds.
I'm applying for Natural Sciences- I've heard differed things about it's competitiveness but it's the only course I've seen that has truly appealed to me so I'm hoping for the best!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending