The Student Room Group

A Level Options Help

Hi, I am really looking for some advice/help in choosing my a levels. That would be really appreciated as I have to decide very soon. I am going to do history and geography, I’m just not sure on my last option...
I’m thinking about Religious Studies (Philosophy and Theology). I am pretty sure I will get a 9 at gcse and I find it quite easy. I am interested in it but know that it’s not the most facilitating a level, I am already doing humanities/essay subjects and I don’t whether I should do something more logical where you know whether you have got it right/wrong.
Another option is maths. I got an 8 in my mock, I will probably get a 9. I find RS slightly more interesting and easier but I still like maths and I don’t find it difficult. Although I have heard the a level is very difficult with mechanics and I don’t need it for the future as I don’t see myself doing something maths. But it’s impressive and facilitating and I don’t find it hard.
Or I could do English lit. Got 9s in my mock and don’t find it difficult. However there are similar skills in history and I know it will be a lot of work and reading.
Lastly, I’m thinking about french. I have only recently started to really love it. I find it definitely more challenging than my other subjects but I am very passionate about it and have improved a lot recently. I got a 5 in my mock but I didn’t put much time into it. I find listening quite difficult and it doesn’t come naturally to me, but I am good at writing and speaking. I really love it and I am very motivated to keep improving. I also love the idea of working in France when I’m older and I really want to be able to speak it fluently.

So the question is, do I do french (a bit more risky) because i love it and it could be very useful for the future, although I would really need to get an A in it and I could always learn it alongside instead of taking an a level in it, or do I go with the easier option RS where there is more chance I get the a level grades I need for uni and it will be less time and effort? Or maths or English??

Thank you so much if you’ve read this far, any help or advice would be much appreciated.
My biggest advice is to pick something you’ll like. Don’t pick something just because you think it’ll be favourable to unis. A levels are a big step up from gcse and u will need to do a lot of extra work outside of your classes. If you like the subject you’ll be more likely to put in the extra effort and get a good grade.
As you’re already doing geography and history which are both facilitating subjects, it doesn’t really matter what kind of subject your third option is. I’m taking maths and it’s a lot of work (I did well at gcse too), don’t take it if you’re not willing to spend a lot of time doing it. :smile:
Your good at humanities subjects

You enjoy humanities subjects

I hope this helps
RS is a pretty useless A level but if you think you’ll enjoy it more than G&H then it might be worth it. Maths A level is a HUGE step up after the easy first term; and A level is also a big step up from AS unlike most other subjects. I found GCSE easy and got a 9 but at A level I was working at a B/C. I got an A in the end but that was very lucky. I think I scraped that A, but one of my teachers was awful so it could be easier than I experienced it.

English would be useful with your two subjects but that would be VERY essay intensive and a lot of content to cover.

French honestly sounds like your best bet as it would compliment G&H so well, however it is generally recommended needing more than a 5. If you think you could do better than that at GCSE if you worked harder than maybe French would be good. From what I’ve heard it’s a lot like English but in French, and a bit easier. There’s even like book and movie analysis in it done similarly to English.

At the end of the day it’s your decision but you do have a window to change subject if what you choose isn’t what you like. I would suggest not maths though based on what you’ve said. It requires a lot of dedication and you really have to be passionate about it. I was not, I just had to do it to get into uni and everyone in my class apart from the two that now do maths at uni found it a nightmare.
Original post by E3student
My biggest advice is to pick something you’ll like. Don’t pick something just because you think it’ll be favourable to unis. A levels are a big step up from gcse and u will need to do a lot of extra work outside of your classes. If you like the subject you’ll be more likely to put in the extra effort and get a good grade.
As you’re already doing geography and history which are both facilitating subjects, it doesn’t really matter what kind of subject your third option is. I’m taking maths and it’s a lot of work (I did well at gcse too), don’t take it if you’re not willing to spend a lot of time doing it. :smile:

Thank you for your help, how much of a step up is maths. Would you mind if I ask what your other options are?
Original post by Googley_eyes
RS is a pretty useless A level but if you think you’ll enjoy it more than G&H then it might be worth it. Maths A level is a HUGE step up after the easy first term; and A level is also a big step up from AS unlike most other subjects. I found GCSE easy and got a 9 but at A level I was working at a B/C. I got an A in the end but that was very lucky. I think I scraped that A, but one of my teachers was awful so it could be easier than I experienced it.

English would be useful with your two subjects but that would be VERY essay intensive and a lot of content to cover.

French honestly sounds like your best bet as it would compliment G&H so well, however it is generally recommended needing more than a 5. If you think you could do better than that at GCSE if you worked harder than maybe French would be good. From what I’ve heard it’s a lot like English but in French, and a bit easier. There’s even like book and movie analysis in it done similarly to English.

At the end of the day it’s your decision but you do have a window to change subject if what you choose isn’t what you like. I would suggest not maths though based on what you’ve said. It requires a lot of dedication and you really have to be passionate about it. I was not, I just had to do it to get into uni and everyone in my class apart from the two that now do maths at uni found it a nightmare.

Thank you so much for your help! Yes I’ve heard that maths is really hard! I’m definitely prepared to work hard in french. Do most people you know say maths is a lot harder than french?- most people at my school say they are not that hard but most who do languages are fluent/have family in that language or are really great at it
Original post by student12_34
Thank you for your help, how much of a step up is maths. Would you mind if I ask what your other options are?

At first it’s okay but the topics have got harder as we’ve progressed. It’s really important to understand the stuff at gcse to build on at the start e.g. indicies. Me (and a lot of my friends) find stats hard as it’s completely new.

My other subjects are geography and economics so if u have any questions about geography I’m happy to help :smile:
At first it’s okay but the topics have got harder as we’ve progressed. It’s really important to understand the stuff at gcse to build on at the start e.g. indicies. Me (and a lot of my friends) find stats hard as it’s completely new.

My other subjects are geography and economics so if u have any questions about geography I’m happy to help :smile:

Thank you so much!
Original post by Jonathanツ
Your good at humanities subjects

You enjoy humanities subjects

I hope this helps

Thank you, are you implying rs would be my best bet?
RS is not a useless A level. It is mostly philosophy and ethics and will give you good skills. The concept of facilitating subjects is a bit antiquated, and there is no evidence to suggest rs isn't anything but respected. Plus two is more than enough. If you are veering towards the humanities route at uni then it really doesn't matter what subjects you do if they're not directly related to the degree. So do what you like most. That being said maths is arguably the most useful A level and is a natural continuation from GCSE. A2 gets quite challenging so if you don't like the subject then maybe not the best option. However it will open many doors and without maths you will cut off quite a few options, but seeing as you're more arts oriented it shouldn't be a problem. French is alleged to be extremely hard if you're not a native speaker and will require a great deal of effort, you got a five which isn't really good enough but seeing as you didn't revise for that if you feel you have the ability to get a good 9 in GCSE then why not. I'd say seeing as you were working at a 5 if you intend to pursue it further spend a lot of time in the summer catching up and advancing your french skills so you have a good base to work upwards from. English lit is also supposed to be a lot of effort similar to history, but it can be very rewarding. You could start off with four and then drop to three if your college allows it? What are you considering doing at uni?
Thank you, are you implying rs would be my best bet?

Yes, you're one of those lucky people who has found something their really good at and really enjoy

The choice is pretty obvious in my opinion but it's your call
Original post by Jonathanツ
Yes, you're one of those lucky people who has found something their really good at and really enjoy

The choice is pretty obvious in my opinion but it's your call

Thank you, I would say I enjoy rs but not as much as french, but I find it a lot easier
Original post by PandaPancake0
RS is not a useless A level. It is mostly philosophy and ethics and will give you good skills. The concept of facilitating subjects is a bit antiquated, and there is no evidence to suggest rs isn't anything but respected. Plus two is more than enough. If you are veering towards the humanities route at uni then it really doesn't matter what subjects you do if they're not directly related to the degree. So do what you like most. That being said maths is arguably the most useful A level and is a natural continuation from GCSE. A2 gets quite challenging so if you don't like the subject then maybe not the best option. However it will open many doors and without maths you will cut off quite a few options, but seeing as you're more arts oriented it shouldn't be a problem. French is alleged to be extremely hard if you're not a native speaker and will require a great deal of effort, you got a five which isn't really good enough but seeing as you didn't revise for that if you feel you have the ability to get a good 9 in GCSE then why not. I'd say seeing as you were working at a 5 if you intend to pursue it further spend a lot of time in the summer catching up and advancing your french skills so you have a good base to work upwards from. English lit is also supposed to be a lot of effort similar to history, but it can be very rewarding. You could start off with four and then drop to three if your college allows it? What are you considering doing at uni?

Thank you for your help. I’m considering doing something like history/geography as I would possibly like to do into environmental law in the future. I find maths easier than french I’ve just heard maths a level is very hard. French I really love and i am willing to work very hard for, but I don’t want it to detract from my other subjects as I find it more difficult. I would say I am working at a 9 in french writing/speaking but I’m still on a 7/6ish for listening/reading. Would you say maths or french a level is harder? Thank you so much!
Thank you so much for your help! Yes I’ve heard that maths is really hard! I’m definitely prepared to work hard in french. Do most people you know say maths is a lot harder than french?- most people at my school say they are not that hard but most who do languages are fluent/have family in that language or are really great at it

Maths is way harder than French. At my school there’s an agreement that chemistry is the hardest a level, closely followed by maths. French is definitely doable and easier than maths.
Original post by Googley_eyes
Maths is way harder than French. At my school there’s an agreement that chemistry is the hardest a level, closely followed by maths. French is definitely doable and easier than maths.

Thank you, would you say the same even if I found maths easier. I’m predicted a 9 in maths and a 7/8 in french
Thank you, would you say the same even if I found maths easier. I’m predicted a 9 in maths and a 7/8 in french

I agree that maths is harder than French. Tbh it doesn’t really matter what gcse grade you were getting in maths, lots of people in my class got a 9 and are now working at C grade. It’s more about the effort you’re willing to put in.
Thank you for your help. I’m considering doing something like history/geography as I would possibly like to do into environmental law in the future. I find maths easier than french I’ve just heard maths a level is very hard. French I really love and i am willing to work very hard for, but I don’t want it to detract from my other subjects as I find it more difficult. I would say I am working at a 9 in french writing/speaking but I’m still on a 7/6ish for listening/reading. Would you say maths or french a level is harder? Thank you so much!

The consensus in my school would be that french is far harder than maths. I go to a school with an excellent maths department and we're a grammar so that could potentially be a bit biased. The people who do french generally tend to be the type to get an easy 9 in it (again anecdotal evidence from my school). Every A level will be hard and requires a lot of effort. Maths is very doable and if you have a decent foundation with algebra you will manage perfectly well. AS is very easy but A2 steps up quite a bit but isn't impossible. Can't comment on french but it seems more time consuming than maths.
(edited 3 years ago)
I agree that maths is harder than French. Tbh it doesn’t really matter what gcse grade you were getting in maths, lots of people in my class got a 9 and are now working at C grade. It’s more about the effort you’re willing to put in.

My class was the exact same. Most people that got a 9 struggled to get higher than a B/C.

Quick Reply

Latest