The Student Room Group

Handbrake on driving test

Driving test coming up in a month's time. Do you have to use the handbrake when stopping at lights? I don't ever do this often unless the lights take a long time to change, because otherwise it'll take me longer to move off. also, after emergency stop, is it handbrake neutral or neutral handbrake? thanks
Reply 1
Original post by fenton484
Driving test coming up in a month's time. Do you have to use the handbrake when stopping at lights? I don't ever do this often unless the lights take a long time to change, because otherwise it'll take me longer to move off. also, after emergency stop, is it handbrake neutral or neutral handbrake? thanks

I’m still learning to drive and I’m looking for a test which is impossible atm. The only time I’ll use the handbrake is if I know it will take a while to change. That’s when I’ve already used those lights while driving so I know if I need to or not. I personally wouldn’t use them at lights I’d never seen before since as you said it does take a bit to move off.
Reply 2
You guys are still having lessons? Whereabouts are you from? Ive not had lesson in over 4 months 😭😭
Reply 3
That’s the thing I’m not having any lessons cause we’re still in lockdown. I meant learning to drive as in was learning then lockdown. I should’ve passed last summer if we didn’t get lockdown in March

It's worth thinking about context, I'd suggest.
For example, if a light has literally just changed from green, I'd apply the hand break, as the likelihood is that in most cases, you're likely to be waiting for a minute or so.
Also worth considering that as long as you're applying the footbrake, your brake lights are on - at night time, these will appear pretty bright, and could theoretically 'dazzle' the driver behind you, so in this case, I'd suggest applying the handbrake and releasing the footbrake would be sensible.

Emergency stop - sequence is essentially the same as in a normal stop, so secure the vehicle then gear-shift to neutral.

Hope this helps.
(edited 3 years ago)

Hi,

You do not NEED to use the handbrake unless you feel there is a credible risk of rolling back (i.e a sharp hill). Technically it is encouraged to prevent pileups if someone hits the back of you but this is not a legal requirement. Regardless, the foot brake will do just fine and most seasoned drivers will do just that.

Secondly, if you are instructed to carry out the controlled stop then you must secure the vehicle as soon as possible following that. Apply the handbrake first. Two reasons:

1. You may slip off the clutch and the car will lurch forward if you didn't get it into neutral. If the handbrake is applied, the car will not move.
2. An emergency stop can mean drivers behind you will not anticipate the abrupt halt and go into the back of you - hence, if the handbrake is applied the risk of your car moving forward into the hazard you stopped for is reduced.

Hope this help
Aidan
Full license holder
Reply 6
Original post by JasB01
You guys are still having lessons? Whereabouts are you from? Ive not had lesson in over 4 months 😭😭

The joys of having been given a car by your nan (her one she doesn't use anymore) and having a parent who is willing to take you out in it.
Honestly, best thing i could have done. Even if lessons were still allowed i'd still be doing what i am now. saves so much money and im so confident now. statistically speaking you're also 1.4 times more likely to pass first time with private lessons
Reply 7
Haha some interesting advice on here. The answer is for the purposes of the test neither of these things matter. Use the handbrake when at a standstill or don't, we're looking at wether you keep control of the vehicle or not. So you can not use the handbrake at all if you had no loss of control without using it. You might want to use it when stopping on a hill, to make it easier to move off as others have said.

Emergency stop: handbrake or clutch first? What kind of question is this, we'd expect people to use the footbrake first and foremost. You don't even need to use the clutch, you can stall the car! As long as the vehicle stops!! Handbrake is not needed whatsoever and should not be used during this exercise. When you have come to a complete stop we say "thank you, I won't ask you to do that again, drive on when you're ready", then you can take your foot off the brake and drive on. No handbrake necessary.

Definitely do not listen to Aiden above about the risk of sliding into an obstruction ahead if you don't use the handbrake! Handbrake will make no difference to stopping distance and in a situation where you're stopping in an emergency to avoid anything you are DEFINITELY going to want both hands on the wheel.
Reply 8
The joys of having been given a car by your nan (her one she doesn't use anymore) and having a parent who is willing to take you out in it.
Honestly, best thing i could have done. Even if lessons were still allowed i'd still be doing what i am now. saves so much money and im so confident now. statistically speaking you're also 1.4 times more likely to pass first time with private lessons

Ugh youre so lucky, i dont think my siblings will be willing to let me practice in their cars 😭😔 but i guess i dont really blame them
Original post by TheDE
Haha some interesting advice on here. The answer is for the purposes of the test neither of these things matter. Use the handbrake when at a standstill or don't, we're looking at wether you keep control of the vehicle or not. So you can not use the handbrake at all if you had no loss of control without using it. You might want to use it when stopping on a hill, to make it easier to move off as others have said.

Emergency stop: handbrake or clutch first? What kind of question is this, we'd expect people to use the footbrake first and foremost. You don't even need to use the clutch, you can stall the car! As long as the vehicle stops!! Handbrake is not needed whatsoever and should not be used during this exercise. When you have come to a complete stop we say "thank you, I won't ask you to do that again, drive on when you're ready", then you can take your foot off the brake and drive on. No handbrake necessary.

Definitely do not listen to Aiden above about the risk of sliding into an obstruction ahead if you don't use the handbrake! Handbrake will make no difference to stopping distance and in a situation where you're stopping in an emergency to avoid anything you are DEFINITELY going to want both hands on the wheel.

Not sure if TheDE is being serious to be honest.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by Arkansas
Not sure if TheDE is being serious to be honest.

I'm a driving examiner. We assess driving, we can't possibly mark people down for driving perfectly well but not in a way we would consider 'normal' or traditional. The only thing that matters is loss of control, and if one doesn't use their handbrake when at a stop and doesn't lose control then I can't mark anything can I!
Reply 11
Original post by TheDE
I'm a driving examiner. We assess driving, we can't possibly mark people down for driving perfectly well but not in a way we would consider 'normal' or traditional. The only thing that matters is loss of control, and if one doesn't use their handbrake when at a stop and doesn't lose control then I can't mark anything can I!

Out of interest if you’re a DE - Is it possible to fail for being “too confident a driver? I’ve had way more private practise than lessons.
Original post by JasB01

sameee :frown:
Reply 13
Out of interest if you’re a DE - Is it possible to fail for being “too confident a driver? I’ve had way more private practise than lessons.

Not at all, the only downside is that overconfidence very occasionally leads to some 'basic' things being overlooked. People like this tend to not fully stop at stop lines, stop or drive too close to vehicles ahead, occasionally forget observations as they're so used to doing maneuvers that they sort of forget the things we're looking for. Eye flicking for mirror checks can be a bit awkward as it's easier to do this when confident, but we do try our best to look for these things.
Reply 14
Original post by TheDE
Not at all, the only downside is that overconfidence very occasionally leads to some 'basic' things being overlooked. People like this tend to not fully stop at stop lines, stop or drive too close to vehicles ahead, occasionally forget observations as they're so used to doing maneuvers that they sort of forget the things we're looking for. Eye flicking for mirror checks can be a bit awkward as it's easier to do this when confident, but we do try our best to look for these things.

Thank you. My test is on may sixth in my own car. Im a safe and competent driver very confident but worried I’ll fail because I forget to check a mirror , I’m generally pretty good and always make a conscious effort to look.
Reply 15
Thank you. My test is on may sixth in my own car. Im a safe and competent driver very confident but worried I’ll fail because I forget to check a mirror , I’m generally pretty good and always make a conscious effort to look.

I’m sure you’ll be fine. Must always remember to look when moving off from the side of the road, but as far as mirror-signalling goes generally you can forget to look a 5 or so times before it becomes serious, so if you forget a couple of times when turning left or right don’t be too upset. You’ll be able if something bad has happened
Reply 16
Original post by TheDE
I’m sure you’ll be fine. Must always remember to look when moving off from the side of the road, but as far as mirror-signalling goes generally you can forget to look a 5 or so times before it becomes serious, so if you forget a couple of times when turning left or right don’t be too upset. You’ll be able if something bad has happened

I thought it was 3 times, ah well. It's a bit annoying right now because where I do it privately wiuth my mum and dad, it hurts my confidence a bit because often they'll think I'm either near to hitting a car when turning around to parallel park, or at roundabouts when I'm going around, but in my mirrors everything is fine and i can see I'm nowhere near hitting anything. I've got the mirror to use for the driving test
Reply 17
I thought it was 3 times, ah well. It's a bit annoying right now because where I do it privately wiuth my mum and dad, it hurts my confidence a bit because often they'll think I'm either near to hitting a car when turning around to parallel park, or at roundabouts when I'm going around, but in my mirrors everything is fine and i can see I'm nowhere near hitting anything. I've got the mirror to use for the driving test

Every minor/driver fault has a different amount it can be before it becomes serious, mirror signalling has the largest allowance of all minor faults. When parking it becomes manoeuvre observations and at roundabouts different again, for instance one could check their mirrors and still hit something.

So we’d say there’s 3 different things that could happen on or near roundabouts. Approaching is mirror signals, very unusual, almost difficult to hit another car approaching as long as you stay in your lane. On entering is junctions observations, for instance not properly observing a vehicle coming from the right. Then on the roundabout & exiting theres a risk of moving into the side of another vehicle. This is either lane discipline, if it was unintentional lane drift, or mirrors change direction, if it was intentionally changing lanes when there is a vehicle alongside.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending