The Student Room Group

What is the most ethical way for a vegan to get rid of in-date tinned meat?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by GabiAbi84
I can’t speak for all Jewish people but I’d certainly like to think that put in your position where they have the food and the choice is to throw it out or to donate it to people in need then they’d do the right thing and donate it -because again, what you Do is much more important than what you look like doing it.

Why do you care if some random person thinks you’re a meat eater- does it hurt the animals by them thinking that? No. Does it help the animals for them to know you’re a vegan? Again, no.
Will the person be grateful that you’re donating it to the food bank to feed people in need-yes.

also - the animals in the tin have already been slaughtered and purchased by the person who purchased them. The harm is already done to the animals - and donating the food to a food bank will not in any way, shape or form change that fact. It will only make someone less hungry, if they are omnivorous of course.

Moreover, if you are - indeed - vegan for ethical reasons (as am I) you should be aware of the fact that veganism is a philosophy based on the principle of reducing or eliminating harm to living beings to the greatest extent possible. Humans, of course, fall into this category as well. If we feel so strongly about ethics and the harm-reduction principle, and considering the argument I put forth in the first development, giving the already-purchased food to someone who is without any is most definitely the most ethical thing you could do.
(edited 3 years ago)
Seems the only solution left is to invest in a biofuel generator, generate electricity and put that back into the grid.
To be honest, I highly doubt the tinned meat exists and I think you're doing this to get a rise out of people. :yawn:
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Elizabeth II
To be honest, I highly doubt the tinned meat exists and I think you're doing this to get a rise out of people. :yawn:

How is your name in pink?😭I want that too lol
Reply 44

That's coming from someone posing as the queen? I really am being serious.
Original post by maths42
That's coming from someone posing as the queen?

It's obviously not the queen lmao.
Original post by Qxi.xli
It's obviously not the queen lmao.

How else would she have a pink username?
Original post by Steve H
How else would she have a pink username?

I've seen people with green and cyan usernames too, I just don't know why. But that's definitely not the queen lmao.
Original post by maths42
That's coming from someone posing as the queen? I really am being serious.

If you need it pointing out to you that I am not Her Majesty the Queen, or even consider it worthy of bringing up to gain some form of capital in your argument, you have bigger problems than that tin of meat.

You have been given plenty of options and you have rejected all of them. Leave it in your cupboard forever to rot. :dontknow:
Original post by Qxi.xli
How is your name in pink?😭I want that too lol

I volunteered for TSR for 5 years :rofl2: I don't think there's a way to get a coloured username now unless you sign up to be a Forum Helper :tongue:
I volunteered for TSR for 5 years :rofl2: I don't think there's a way to get a coloured username now unless you sign up to be a Forum Helper :tongue:

Oh I see lol
Original post by maths42
Would a Jewish person be happy to handle pork in public?

Ooh, I get to use my RS GCSE!
I'm not Jewish, but Jews believe in Pikuach Nefesh, which basically means that they can break any of the mitzvot (commandments) in order to save someone's life.
Basically, they would if it meant that a person would not starve to death.
every available option has a disadvantage so you just have to choose the best available option I guess which I feel is giving it to some other being to eat
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 53
Feed them to a dog or cat.
Reply 54
You only have to remember that there are several animals that would eat humans to be able to relate to how I feel.
Reply 55
Original post by Obolinda
every available option has a disadvantage so you just have to choose the best available option I guess

Fair point, thanks 😊
Original post by Vapordave
Ooh, I get to use my RS GCSE!
I'm not Jewish, but Jews believe in Pikuach Nefesh, which basically means that they can break any of the mitzvot (commandments) in order to save someone's life.
Basically, they would if it meant that a person would not starve to death.

As a Jew you have no idea how happy this makes me to read this!!! Exactly this!!

You have an ultimately responsibly to life and to do good.
(edited 3 years ago)
Putting it back on a shop shelf is worse in my opinion. If someone buys it then it's just sending the shop the message that meat is selling well best order some more, they won't buy less cans of meat because you put it there, they'll just think they're running low on stock and buy more. Plus any shop that sells it is supporting the meat industry too, so you'd just be giving them money by letting them profit.

Just donate it to a food bank and let some hungry people get a meal, the damage has already been done by buying it you can just prevent someone else from needing to buy more. If someone is needing food banks they likely won't switch to being vegan anyway, they've got other problems that demand more immediate attention / use of their money. You could buy a few vegan options to donate along with it if you really want.
Original post by maths42
But what if it gives someone a taste for something and then they buy more of it as a result when their financial situation is more favourable?

FYI: I volunteer for a food bank.

Typically food banks will give clients several tins of meat each week, unless the client tells the food bank that they have a specific dietary requirement.
Food banks get most of their food via donations from supermarkets and grants. Donations from members of the public just top up the stock.

Either way, clients that eat meat will be given meat.

You are really really overthinking it. The animal has already died.

Another idea would be to do the opposite of shoplifting and go and put them on the shelves in the supermarket. Is there any law against doing this? This way, it could have the opposite impact of buying meat and effectively reduced demand by the amount that I add to the shelves, although in practice they wouldn't be added to the stock on the shop's system.

Please do not do this. This would be unhygienic.
It would make no meaningful difference to the 'meat trade'.
Also, if you where caught, you would face a lot of awkward questions. For all we know you could have intentionally contaminated the tins with something-- we would not sell them to customers.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 59
Are you confident no animal would eat you? A shark? A tiger? We're lucky enough not to encounter these creatures as we go about our lives but it is upsetting to think of all the creatures in the wild who get randomly preyed on. Nothing we can do about it, although what we can do is to go vegan ourselves because we have the choice. Let's try to reduce suffering as far as possible.

Quick Reply

Latest