The Student Room Group

university problems

Hi everyone, I have a massive dilemma on my hands. I'm really struggling with doing a degree in this current year as all material is online and I learn best with in-person classes. With the university I am currently at (Roehampton University) my course is not taught well and the lecturer I usually have is quite rude/direct and criticizes us if we get the answer wrong, sometimes even shouts. This has made me think about repeating the first year of uni either at another uni or at the one I am at now. However, I am finding it so difficult to decide as they both have pros and cons. The pros of the one I am currently at is that the accommodation is absolutely lovely and I have such a nice room, I am comfortable and familiar with the area (putney) and everything is on campus so I do not have to travel to get to my lessons. The cons of my current uni are that it is not well known for my course, they have not made an effort to do online discussion groups for us and the lecturers are quite lazy, giving us a ten minute break and then not making the time up at the end.With another uni I am looking at, Westminster, I feel that it would be much better for my course and there would be better lecturers and also It is a bigger campus with more going on, as it is in the centre of London. However, I am really stuck because I am aware of how far the accommodation is for Westminster and I just cannot see myself getting lots of public transport constantly to get to my lessons. Also, the rooms at Westminster are not very nice and I absolutely love my room at Roehampton at the moment. Can anyone help me with this decision?What would you do ?
Original post by smileyhorrors
Hi everyone, I have a massive dilemma on my hands. I'm really struggling with doing a degree in this current year as all material is online and I learn best with in-person classes. With the university I am currently at (Roehampton University) my course is not taught well and the lecturer I usually have is quite rude/direct and criticizes us if we get the answer wrong, sometimes even shouts. This has made me think about repeating the first year of uni either at another uni or at the one I am at now. However, I am finding it so difficult to decide as they both have pros and cons. The pros of the one I am currently at is that the accommodation is absolutely lovely and I have such a nice room, I am comfortable and familiar with the area (putney) and everything is on campus so I do not have to travel to get to my lessons. The cons of my current uni are that it is not well known for my course, they have not made an effort to do online discussion groups for us and the lecturers are quite lazy, giving us a ten minute break and then not making the time up at the end.With another uni I am looking at, Westminster, I feel that it would be much better for my course and there would be better lecturers and also It is a bigger campus with more going on, as it is in the centre of London. However, I am really stuck because I am aware of how far the accommodation is for Westminster and I just cannot see myself getting lots of public transport constantly to get to my lessons. Also, the rooms at Westminster are not very nice and I absolutely love my room at Roehampton at the moment. Can anyone help me with this decision?What would you do ?

Hi there,

Sorry to hear you are having an unpleasant time at University.

I had a similar situation in my first year of studying - I didn't like certain lecturers and with some of them I couldn't even understand what they were saying. I knew I needed to change something as it was costing a lot of money, was a long commute and ultimately it was going to be what I was going to do with most of my time for the next 3 years. So I based part of decision on a pro and con list.

Top things that went on my con list were:
- I was unhappy- I couldn't stand to think about having to have the same experience for the next few years
- The University well it had a good reputation wasn't the only one - there where as good and better uni that I could change to

I also went to speak to student services about if there was any way of getting a different lecturer or make up tutor sessions with student tutor who had previously done the course - maybe see if this is possible?

Ultimately, it is a hard decision and in the end I felt that I wasn't going to perform my best at a University that I wasn't happy at. So, I change university altogether. At the end of the day your uni degree is what going to get you into the career you want to do.

Hopefully this gives you some guidance.

Best wishes,
Tam
Student Ambassador - ULaw

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending