The Student Room Group

Topics explored in psychology courses in university

What are some topics/chapters from university psychology course? I was wandering so that I can read books on them and figure out which one I like more and do more research .
Original post by Kara-
What are some topics/chapters from university psychology course? I was wandering so that I can read books on them and figure out which one I like more and do more research .

Hi @Kara-

The topics covered by universities in their psychology courses may vary from one degree course to another.

We offer Psychology at Hull.
In the first year of our degree programme, we have modules dedicated to research skills, cognition and development, social psychology, and the psychological effects of adversity. Further topic areas which we cover on this degree programme can be found on our website - https://www.hull.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/psychology-bsc-hons

I would advise using UCAS as a search tool to look up other universities to see which they offer as part of their degree programmes.

Hope this helps

Emily
University of Hull Student Representative
Reply 2
Original post by Uni of Hull Students
Hi @Kara-

The topics covered by universities in their psychology courses may vary from one degree course to another.

We offer Psychology at Hull.
In the first year of our degree programme, we have modules dedicated to research skills, cognition and development, social psychology, and the psychological effects of adversity. Further topic areas which we cover on this degree programme can be found on our website - https://www.hull.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/psychology-bsc-hons

I would advise using UCAS as a search tool to look up other universities to see which they offer as part of their degree programmes.

Hope this helps

Emily
University of Hull Student Representative

Thank you , this was very helpful😊 I will look into it more aswell
Original post by Kara-

Hi Kara,

At Surrey, we cover a range of areas of Psychology, such as Social Psychology, Biological Psychology, Developmental Psychology, Personality and much more! We also have modules to gain skills in areas of research and also statistics ready for final year when it comes to completely a dissertation. I will list the Surrey course here for you to have a look at all the different modules: https://www.surrey.ac.uk/undergraduate/psychology

As @Uni of Hull Students has stated, definitely use UCAS as a platform to search for other universities and do see what modules they offer!

Becca (2nd Year Psychology Student)
Hi there,

Just to add on to what everyone has said, some of the areas of psychological research I have studied over my degree (am now in my final year about to start my dissertation!) include research methods, key studies, cognitive development, qualitative and quantitative research, biological psychology, behaviour and personality, cross-cultural psychology as examples :smile:

Toni Bennett
Arden University Student Ambassador
Reply 5
Original post by Arden University
Hi there,

Just to add on to what everyone has said, some of the areas of psychological research I have studied over my degree (am now in my final year about to start my dissertation!) include research methods, key studies, cognitive development, qualitative and quantitative research, biological psychology, behaviour and personality, cross-cultural psychology as examples :smile:

Toni Bennett
Arden University Student Ambassador

Thank you 😊 good luck with your dissertation
Original post by Kara-

There's a lot of research methods/stats topics included within psychology courses, so I'd recommend getting a read around that.
Besides that, just the different disciplines of psychology, like cognitive, forensics, social, etc.

Also, you'd probably benefit a lot more if you'd look specifically into the Uni courses you are interested and are more likely to get into as they will have all the modules listed on their sites and that way, you are much prepared on what to expect when you do study.

Quick Reply

Latest