The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Ucl rejected me for the same course they were eager to accept me befor

The first time I applied for this course about 5 years ago I got an offer within a few days. When I went there on the open day the head of the department even said ‘it’s so rare that I get to see such a good personal statement’
But I went to imperial instead. I had a serious neurological illness (diagnosed by neurologist) and dropped out. After recovering from the illness, I applied to ucl again. This time their tone was different. They asked me for a second personal statement ‘explaining why I want to do the course, giving extra curricular evidence from recent years’ but I thought the fact I literally started that course before was proof of interest? Then they rejected me, no reason given.

I think it’s hilarious ahahahahah
To be fair, just because you applied once quite a long
time ago and got accepted, it doesn’t mean they’ll just automatically take you again. They had good reason to ask more of you. As your application 5 years ago may have been acceptable to get you in back then considering your age and experience, you’re 5 years older now. And it may seem unfair, but realistically speaking they’d of course expect to see more of what you’ve achieved in 5 years to reconsider you for the course, as simply showing an interest in it all those years ago really isn’t proof you want to study there.

It would kinda be like failing your driving test, then 5 years later deciding to try take it again but without having done any extra practice since the last time you tried. With unis it’s harder to get in the older you are. They expect more of you and your personal growth. That being said, sorry you didn’t get in and I hope you find somewhere you like.
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
To be fair, just because you applied once quite a long
time ago and got accepted, it doesn’t mean they’ll just automatically take you again. They had good reason to ask more of you. As your application 5 years ago may have been acceptable to get you in back then considering your age and experience, you’re 5 years older now. And it may seem unfair, but realistically speaking they’d of course expect to see more of what you’ve achieved in 5 years to reconsider you for the course, as simply showing an interest in it all those years ago really isn’t proof you want to study there.

It would kinda be like failing your driving test, then 5 years later deciding to try take it again but without having done any extra practice since the last time you tried. With unis it’s harder to get in the older you are. They expect more of you and your personal growth. That being said, sorry you didn’t get in and I hope you find somewhere you like.

most of my 'achievements' these years were related to treatment of my illness. In that case then the university simply does not or does not want to understand the debilitating nature of the illness.
Original post by Anonymous
most of my 'achievements' these years were related to treatment of my illness. In that case then the university simply does not or does not want to understand the debilitating nature of the illness.

Getting through your illness is an incredible achievement. It’s something you know for the rest of your life that you managed to do, and you can be so proud of yourself for that.

I’m sorry if this comes across as insensitive, but when we’re talking about the uni looking for more progression or achievements from you, they’ll be looking for that in terms of academics and extra curriculars. It’s not that they don’t or have chosen not to understand what you went through, but logically speaking in terms of the course, your illness and the course are unrelated. As a slightly older student they will be looking for either extra qualifications or experience, which are things you don’t have yet.

They should perhaps look at what you went through as a factor in perhaps considering you for the place as you haven’t had the same opportunities as others to further yourself, but it is coming across as though you should’ve been accepted because of it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending