The Student Room Group

Graduate Entry Dentistry with intermission?

I'm thinking of doing graduate entry Dentistry (currently doing medical science) but I am taking a year out from my degree due to some personal circumstances. Will this affect my application???
Not that I know of.
do you know if this would affect a medical application? (Just thinking that whatever the answer is, it would be similar for dentistry).
Reply 2
I’ve taken two years out and have an offer for grad entry dentistry on my first application so keep going and get lots of work experience in that time !
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Drdavis
I’ve taken two years out and have an offer for grad entry dentistry on my first application so keep going and get lots of work experience in that time !

Congrats on your offer!! And thank you, would it be ok if I asked you what kind of things did you do to help prepare for your application?
Reply 4
Original post by tooza
Congrats on your offer!! And thank you, would it be ok if I asked you what kind of things did you do to help prepare for your application?

Of course lovely,

I was a HCA for 5 years with neurologically disabled children part time whilst at uni and full time after. Which I feel made all the difference to my application. Working in a multidisciplinary team with physios, drs, nurses and therapists.

Then had experience with a gdp and an orthodontics clinic and had experience lined up within maxofacial clinics and special care dentistry. I also think my ucat score helped with lots of prep on medify.

Also picked up bsl and mackaton for communication. Completed two dissertations and won the best dissertation for neuroscience in one which showed good written communication and a passion for research. Was on the committee for yoga society at uni and the lacrosse umpire for teamwork.

Then for Manual dexterity I self taught piano, knitting and embroidery ... which doesn’t sound fun but actually really is!

Graduate entry is competitive but is so worth it ! Anymore questions feel free to message 👌 and believe in yourself
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Drdavis
Of course lovely,

I was a HCA for 5 years with neurologically disabled children part time whilst at uni and full time after. Which I feel made all the difference to my application. Working in a multidisciplinary team with physios, drs, nurses and therapists.

Then had experience with a gdp and an orthodontics clinic and had experience lined up within maxofacial clinics and special care dentistry. I also think my ucat score helped with lots of prep on medify.

Also picked up bsl and mackaton for communication. Completed two dissertations and won the best dissertation for neuroscience in one which showed good written communication and a passion for research. Was on the committee for yoga society at uni and the lacrosse umpire for teamwork.

Then for Manual dexterity I self taught piano, knitting and embroidery ... which doesn’t sound fun but actually really is!

Graduate entry is competitive but is so worth it ! Anymore questions feel free to message 👌 and believe in yourself

Wow thats a lot, I better get to it then haha. I've always struggled on the finding work experience part of things, so if you've got any tips please let me know! Thank you so much and well done on your offer :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest