The Student Room Group

Postgraduate Durham Application fee status

I am EU student currently finishing my undergrad at Aberdeen University and I though I would be classified as home student for the fee purposes (10k fees) but they classified me as EU (£24k fees) and dont get why?. I meet the qualification requirements such as ordinary resident in UK for 3 years.
The 'Ordinary' residence requirement means that you must have ordinarily resided in the UK for the past 3 years. Unfortunately, being in the UK for the purpose of education does not mean the definition of ordinary residence.
Original post by chaotic1328
The 'Ordinary' residence requirement means that you must have ordinarily resided in the UK for the past 3 years. Unfortunately, being in the UK for the purpose of education does not mean the definition of ordinary residence.

But the gov document says that I qualify https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/956894/New_eligibility_rules_for_home_fee_status_and_student_finance_for_the_2021_to_2022_academic_year.pdf
It doesn't say that at all.

The relevant sentences 'This means that EU nationals lawfully resident in the UK before the end of the transition period on 31 December 2020 will be eligible in England for support on a similar basis as now, subject to meeting the usual residency requirements...' Note the stipulation about 'usual residency requirements'. To be an 'ordinarily resident' in the UK means that you were not here for the sole purpose of education.

Also, 'From 1 August 2021, EU, other EEA and Swiss nationals and their family members who are not covered by the Withdrawal Agreements will no longer be eligible for home fee status, undergraduate and postgraduate financial support and advanced learner loans from Student Finance England for courses starting in academic year 2021/22 or after'. Unless you or your family are covered by the withdrawal agreement (I think this means applying and being granted 'settled' status on the grounds of your length of stay prior to the withdrawal agreement.

So, unless you can provide evidence that you have settled status in the UK, you will be classified as an overseas student for fees purposes.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by chaotic1328
It doesn't say that at all.

The relevant sentences 'This means that EU nationals lawfully resident in the UK before the end of the transition period on 31 December 2020 will be eligible in England for support on a similar basis as now, subject to meeting the usual residency requirements...' Note the stipulation about 'usual residency requirements'. To be an 'ordinarily resident' in the UK means that you were not here for the sole purpose of education.

Also, 'From 1 August 2021, EU, other EEA and Swiss nationals and their family members who are not covered by the Withdrawal Agreements will no longer be eligible for home fee status, undergraduate and postgraduate financial support and advanced learner loans from Student Finance England for courses starting in academic year 2021/22 or after'. Unless you or your family are covered by the withdrawal agreement (I think this means applying and being granted 'settled' status on the grounds of your length of stay prior to the withdrawal agreement.

So, unless you can provide evidence that you have settled status in the UK, you will be classified as an overseas student for fees purposes.

Yeah, exactly but for any EU person right now residing in UK the settled status is a legal requirement so it is confusing because one is require settled status and the other require 3 years prior not in full time education.
I have pre-settled status and was awarded home-fee status based on three years ordinary residence in the UK and EU. I was in the UK for the purpose of full-time education. You should be eligible for home fees, too, as long as you're an EU citizen and your address outside of term-time was in the EU, you've been in the UK since December 2020 and have pre-settled status.
Original post by aspiringphd
I have pre-settled status and was awarded home-fee status based on three years ordinary residence in the UK and EU. I was in the UK for the purpose of full-time education. You should be eligible for home fees, too, as long as you're an EU citizen and your address outside of term-time was in the EU, you've been in the UK since December 2020 and have pre-settled status.

I have been living in UK (Scotland) since September 2016, in that time I was 20 days abroad, I worked here to support myself so basically made a living for myself here so dont think my purpose was only for education. I filled in the form requesting review of the status

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending