The Student Room Group

Hairstyle requirements for studying medicine (male)

Hey! I'm currently a 16 year old boy looking to study medicine in the future. I want to grow my hair as personally I like having long and curly hair however my parents say that if I have long hair then they won't accept me into universities as I don't look professional? To them the only things universities accept are buzzcuts which I don't particularly like. As well as this, I want to grow a beard however it's the same case in that they think it is unprofessional which I'm not too happy about. Is this really the case or are my parents over exaggerating it?
It will not be a problem at all. In fact, on my placement, basically every male member of the firm had a beard!

You hair/beard just needs to be clean, tidy, and off the collar (for hair) in the clinical environment- some male students do need to tie their hair back or use hairbands. You can have a look at a sample hospital dress code here: https://www.england.nhs.uk/about/equality/equality-hub/uniforms-and-workwear/
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by kk15405
Hey! I'm currently a 16 year old boy looking to study medicine in the future. I want to grow my hair as personally I like having long and curly hair however my parents say that if I have long hair then they won't accept me into universities as I don't look professional? To them the only things universities accept are buzzcuts which I don't particularly like. As well as this, I want to grow a beard however it's the same case in that they think it is unprofessional which I'm not too happy about. Is this really the case or are my parents over exaggerating it?

You are expected to look smart. If you have long hair and keep it smartly, that will be fine, regardless of gender. If it's longer than collar length it will need to be tied up in a clinical environment.

Beards are also allowed, but again, in hospital are expected to be clean and well-kept, not some shaggy long mess. Though lots of male colleagues ended up having to shave off all their facial hair during the pandemic in order to get FFP3 masks to fit.
Only thing that’s ever come up about beards in my hospital is the fact that men with them are more likely to fail their fit tests for masks and are more likely to have to wear respirators instead. Hopefully the use of these is going to diminish over the next few years anyway but even if they don’t this isn’t a reason not to grow your hair/facial hair the way you want.
As above - its fine, but you will want to make sure it looks smart for any interviews and eventual clinical placements. And tbh would I have faith that a 16 year old would definitely be able to do that? Hell no :tongue: So I'd be on your parent's side :tongue:

But if you can, it'd be fine.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending