The Student Room Group

AQA A level psychology.

Can someone please help me answer these questions:
1. Operant conditioning as a 16 marker and just operant conditioning.
2. Defense mechanism role.
The next few questions are for issues and debates, but my teacher didn't tell me how many marks or even what the questions are, but I have a feeling there is going to be a 16 marker on determinism.
Also, I need help with how to design a study question, if anyone is willing to help I would be really happy, Thank you.

Scroll to see replies

do you need help understanding them or would you prefer sample essays?
Original post by lolaemma

Sample essay, I sort of understand the content just not sure how I would put it in an answer.

Do not give OP a sample essay. Instead, help them formulate their answer.
Original post by Nicole.200211
Sample essay, I sort of understand the content just not sure how I would put it in an answer.

Has your teacher taught you how to write an answer to a 16-mark question?
Original post by 5hyl33n
Has your teacher taught you how to write an answer to a 16-mark question?

He said ao1 is worth 6 marks and ao3 is worth 10. He said 3 pee paragraphs for the evaluation.
He said ao1 is worth 6 marks and ao3 is worth 10. He said 3 pee paragraphs for the evaluation.

Yes. Your teacher is correct.

How about you write an essay on operant conditioning and I can help you improve it and let you know where you are going wrong. :smile:
Original post by 5hyl33n
Yes. Your teacher is correct.

How about you write an essay on operant conditioning and I can help you improve it and let you know where you are going wrong. :smile:

URM, alright Ill do that, Thank you.
Original post by 5hyl33n
Do not give OP a sample essay. Instead, help them formulate their answer.

i mean its sort of already online tho
Operant conditioning (16 marks)

Operant conditioning is learning through consequences. Skinner suggested that learning is an active process whereby humans and animals operate on their environment. Human and animals learn from their consequences. If after a behaviour is performed and then rewarded, then the behaviour is more likely to be repeated. This is known as positive reinforcement, where the person or animal receives a reward when a certain behaviour is performed., therefore this reinforces behaviour to be performed more often e.g., rewarded with treats for giving paw. An example of positive reinforcement is Skinner’s box. He placed a hungry rat in a cage. Every time the rat pulled the lever a food pallet fell from the food dispenser. As a result, the rats quickly learned to go straight to the lever a few times of being in the box. This suggests that positive reinforcement increases the likelihood of a behaviour being repeated.
However, if after the behaviour is repeated and then punished the behaviour is likely to be stopped. This is known as negative reinforcement, which occurs when performing an action stops something unpleasant from happening. As a result, this action occurs more frequently e.g., turning off an alarm. An example of negative reinforcement is Skinner’s box. He placed a rat in a cage in which they were subject to an electric shock. The rat learned to switch the lever in order to stop the electric shock. This is negative reinforcement performing an action in order to avoid something unpleasant. This suggests that negative reinforcement increases the likelihood of the behaviour being repeated.
One strength of operant conditioning is that Skinner used scientific methods. He relied on experimental methods to discover a casual relationship between variables. He manipulated the consequences of behaviour and was able to measure the effects of the rat’s behaviour. Therefore, he established the cause-and-effect relationship between the consequences of behaviour and how often the behaviour occurs.
A limitation of operant conditioning is that it was done on animals. Although we are similar to animals the way we think, and our conscience are different to animals. Humans compared to animals have different social norms and moral values which affects the efficiency of the environment. Therefore, this study is more applicable to animals rather than humans lacks generalisability.

This is all I can do.
someone else had an essay and i gave them a rough outline, heres the link to that thread -

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7029008&p=95252967#post95252967

hope it helps!

(also try checking some online samples, they should have a rough layout to help you too!)
someone else had an essay and i gave them a rough outline, heres the link to that thread -

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7029008&p=95252967#post95252967

hope it helps!

(also try checking some online samples, they should have a rough layout to help you too!)

Thank you so much.

Do you think you can help with designing a study, I'm not lying when I say I've never done one before.
Thank you so much.

Do you think you can help with designing a study, I'm not lying when I say I've never done one before.

no problem, i hope it helped.

we havent done any essays on designing yet either (im in yr12 btw) but we have spoken about it, do you have a question on it? i might be able to help
no problem, i hope it helped.

we havent done any essays on designing yet either (im in yr12 btw) but we have spoken about it, do you have a question on it? i might be able to help

Here I am in year 13 asking a year 12 for help (no offence), that's how you know I'm failing psych, my exam is on Tuesday btw.
Design an experiment to investigate whether exercise could increase feelings of happiness. For your
measure of happiness, you should devise a measure that would provide data suitable for testing at an
ordinal level of measurement.
In your answer, you should provide details of:
Design include reference to experimental design, variables and controls
Materials/Apparatus describe any special materials required
Data analysis that could be used include reference to both descriptive and inferential analysis
Justify your choices

If you don't know then don't worry. Neither do I btw.
Here I am in year 13 asking a year 12 for help (no offence), that's how you know I'm failing psych, my exam is on Tuesday btw.
Design an experiment to investigate whether exercise could increase feelings of happiness. For your
measure of happiness, you should devise a measure that would provide data suitable for testing at an
Data analysis that could be used include reference to both descriptive and inferential analysis
Justify your choices

😂😂 - none taken

for that question ive no idea whatsoever, we havent designed experiments in the form of an essay yet but i vaguely have an idea:
- describe the procedure of the experiment
- fully operationalise all the variables
- discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your chosen experimental design and method

other than that i have no idea - apologies
Justify your choices

https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/tutor2u-media/resource-samples/06-AQA-Research-Methods-Design-A-Study-Solutions-SAMPLE.pdf?mtime=20170905091002

^ this may help
😂😂 - none taken

for that question ive no idea whatsoever, we havent designed experiments in the form of an essay yet but i vaguely have an idea:
- describe the procedure of the experiment
- fully operationalise all the variables
- discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your chosen experimental design and method

other than that i have no idea - apologies

That's okay, thank you so much, I'm stressing so much cz I don't want to have to revise everything my head is gonna explode.
That's okay, thank you so much, I'm stressing so much cz I don't want to have to revise everything my head is gonna explode.

totally understandable, psychology is very content heavy - i hope your exam goes well, good luck!
Thank you hun.

no problemm!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending