The Student Room Group

Is uwe a good uni

Is uwe a good uni? I don't think I'm going to get the grades to study at bristol tbh, so I'm thinking of getting a degree and then doing a masters (at uni of bris, I wanna go into law). But I just wanted to know if this seems like a decent idea or a waste of time?
How do you go from university of Bristol to UWE? What other universities have you got offers for?
Original post by username19412
How do you go from university of Bristol to UWE? What other universities have you got offers for?

I haven't applied for law at Bristol

I applied for Bristol (criminology but im not particularly interested in it anymore), Bath and UWE
Original post by minaaaa9494
I haven't applied for law at Bristol

I applied for Bristol (criminology but im not particularly interested in it anymore), Bath and UWE

Put it this way. Bath in Bristol are probably level 3 in the UK and UWE is level 9 or 10. Law, especially at Bristol requires top grades because they have one of the top law departments in the country. If you want to work for top firms it would not be clever to go to UWE. Take a gap year and reapply.
Put it this way. Bath in Bristol are probably level 3 in the UK and UWE is level 9 or 10. Law, especially at Bristol requires top grades because they have one of the top law departments in the country. If you want to work for top firms it would not be clever to go to UWE. Take a gap year and reapply.

Thank you for your responses!

I was planning on studying Eng Lit at UWE (as that is what I'm interested in) and then take a masters in law after I complete my degree. I understand that Bath and Bristol are higher in ranks, but I don't believe I will end up getting the grades I need to apply to those universities (I'm probably going to get BBB). I'm just not sure if it's a waste getting a degree at uwe and then doing a masters elsewhere.
Thank you for your responses!

I was planning on studying Eng Lit at UWE (as that is what I'm interested in) and then take a masters in law after I complete my degree. I understand that Bath and Bristol are higher in ranks, but I don't believe I will end up getting the grades I need to apply to those universities (I'm probably going to get BBB). I'm just not sure if it's a waste getting a degree at uwe and then doing a masters elsewhere.

Tough decision. For courses like Law the university you go to matters a lot, and Bristol is one of the best universities. I think doing Law undergrad at UWE would put you at an advantage to do a master's compared to doing English, so I'd definitely try to change if you can. Also, make sure you're getting 2.1's or firsts because that will be the determining factor in getting into the master's degree. If you can do it somewhere else that is a bit higher ranked, that would be better but I think for you, you just want to be closer to home since you're picking 3 universities that are very close together if I assume correctly.
Tough decision. For courses like Law the university you go to matters a lot, and Bristol is one of the best universities. I think doing Law undergrad at UWE would put you at an advantage to do a master's compared to doing English, so I'd definitely try to change if you can. Also, make sure you're getting 2.1's or firsts because that will be the determining factor in getting into the master's degree. If you can do it somewhere else that is a bit higher ranked, that would be better but I think for you, you just want to be closer to home since you're picking 3 universities that are very close together if I assume correctly.

You're right in that I would like to be close to home. I think I'm going to wait until results day to see what I actually end up getting and then go from there. I appreciate all of your responses and help!

‘Level 3’
‘Level 9 and 10’

What is this ****
Original post by daveymcloughlin
‘Level 3’
‘Level 9 and 10’

What is this ****

Power level? Volume control?

I dunno man I just thought he was a bot.
Is uwe a good uni? I don't think I'm going to get the grades to study at bristol tbh, so I'm thinking of getting a degree and then doing a masters (at uni of bris, I wanna go into law). But I just wanted to know if this seems like a decent idea or a waste of time?

If you want to get into law, then a law conversion course would be more useful than a masters. I think you should study the subject that interests you the most - English Literature - at the best uni you can get into with a view to maybe switching to law at a later date.
It’s not a waste of time but if you get lower than BBB you would probably be better off retaking some exams rather than squeezing into a non competitive uni and then finding out down the line that the firms you want to apply to require higher A level grades than you have.
Reply 10

Yes sure. I think you need to trust your instincts and go for what you are comfortable with. I am sure I can help you make a good decision. Cheers and all the best.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending