The Student Room Group

Warwick or UCL Choice (Help please)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by _gcx
I disliked the first year of the course, I thought it was quite slow and uninspiring. Bear in mind everyone comes into university at different levels and they have to get everyone up to scratch. A few people find the first year fairly straightforward, a lot seem to find it a substantial jump from school maths. The second year was much more interesting and the assignment questions were much more exciting and inspiring. In the third year it opens up even more.

I had done a fairly substantial amount of university maths before university (you don't have to do this, I did it for interest only) so I knew pretty much precisely what to expect. Many didn't and were shocked to find that maths at university is a lot different to maths at school.

It differs from A-level in that the approach is solidly "theory-first". At A-level you'll have read about a topic, perhaps had an algorithm outlined to you, then seen it applied to a few examples, and then you'd answer 20 or so questions asking basically the same thing. At university you are more focused on why things work rather than just using things that you take for granted. There are a lot of calculations but it becomes a lot more like other sciences with more rich theory. Those that don't really like proof or theory may be better served on a course such as physics.

I like the campus. Some bits are kind of bland, but there's a lot of green that's nice to walk around in. I've never felt like there's not much to do. It really depends who you're friends with. The campus is not very isolated either - it's right near the suburbs and not far from the city centre. I think the nightlife is fine.

I don't feel I can comment on the sexual assault stuff. There's ongoing protests about inaction. There isn't really any reputational damage in having a Warwick degree. I've never got the impression it's much worse than other universities, there was just one particularly high profile incident that brought a lot of it to the surface. Hopefully it'll be dealt with.

At no point did I really feel overwhelmed. First year second term is supposed to be the busiest of the degree. A lot of people find the degree quite hard and have to spend a lot of time on it. It is relatively easy to get help. You should find students on your course since they will be your most ready source for assignment help. Or students in higher years.

Thanks for the info.
How/ Where is your second year accommodation, and is the commute into campus a major inconvenience?
Original post by SaintSaint
Im really stressing as I need to pick my firm and insurance choices tomorrow. For one of the picks i’ve narrowed it down to warwick and UCL as they are quite similar in terms of course level. My offer is for physics.

However obviously, there would be more to do in London and may just be a more fun place to live. However, As someone who is still on the fence with physics, I have thought of changing to Maths and Physics to give me some variety and reassures me that I have maths as another subject in case i dislike one. However, UCL wouldn’t let me switch to the Maths and Physics course as they require further maths (which i havent done). So to go to London, with UCL, I would have to commit to just physics. I find astrophysics and cosmology fascinating but I have found other areas of physics difficult or unenjoyable in the past. My A-Level grade should be quite good though as I revised very hard for all my subjects and did very well in my mini assessments. I also thought I would have perhaps enjoyed the Astrophysics module at A-Level more than I actually did. But not much of it was covered in our assessments so it has been a while since i’ve done it, and it wasnt the largest of modules either. However, again I am unsure how I would find it at university and hence the ability to have maths as a back up is nice. Warwick would allow me to switch to the MathPhys course, and it is the only uni that I actually managed to visit. I did wnjpy the campus but it was isolated and didnt seem like there was much going on, especially compared to London. Plus the campus isn’t huge, but its definitely not that small either.

What do you guys think?

Hi, thinking of applying to UCL for physics, do you mind if I ask what were your predicted grades and gcses?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending